PDA

View Full Version : I need a bag

ameerat42
17-05-2013, 1:16pm
Yes, at last I want to get a decent(ish) bag to carry some gear in.
I want a backpack type sufficiently adept for carrying a DSLR and mounted telephoto lens
which comes out to just under 400mm in length.
In addition, it should have a few other handy compartments.

But, it doesn't have to be anything great, and it should be airline-cabin compliant.

Where to start?
Ta, Am.

welly
17-05-2013, 2:04pm
How much do you have to spend on one because that'll determine your options. I've got a Lowepro Vertex 200 (I think it is!)

http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/vertex-200-aw

And it'll probably carry more or less everything you might want to carry but it's quite big. Apparently it's arline-cabin compliant from what I've read but it isn't a bag you'd want to carry around with you for hours on end when it's full, although I have done (was a good, well needed workout!). It'll definitely fit your lens and it's got a bunch of compartments but it might be too big.

Another option might be to just get a standard backpack and buy a lens case and some protective wrap for your camera body. It'd be cheaper and less obvious that you're carrying around expensive camera gear.

Rattus79
17-05-2013, 2:36pm
I have the Low-Pro Pro Runner 450 and it has more then enough space for all of my crap + a PC + a bunch of crap I don't' really need.

It has a decent suspension system and is quite comfortable to lug around.

The problem with it is because it has so much space, I inevitably overload it and it ends up weighing a ton.

I get around this problem by using 2 bags. My second bag is a Low Pro Flipside 200
The flipside is much smaller, but can carry a long lens on a body if you set it up right.

The flipside is great for travelling as entry to the bag is only on the back side of the bag, so it's impossible for someone to steal from your bag while you are wearing it. It's light and great as a day bag if you know what you'll be shooting in advance.

ameerat42
17-05-2013, 6:33pm
Ta guys. I was thinking of something about the size of the bags you get for about $15-20 in department stores. Size, that is.
I will now check out your references.
Am.

jollie
18-05-2013, 6:10pm
I've got a Kata OWL-272 which I use for my camera gear. I'ved used it as my carry on on the plance with no troubles also. One good thing about this one is that the the camera section lifts out completely so that the bag can be used as a regular back pack if needed.

ameerat42
18-05-2013, 10:34pm
Ta Jollie. That sounds like an interesting item.

ameerat42
18-07-2013, 12:59pm
Update: the search is over. I have a LowePro 300AW. Cost $161. I think that's OK. Best I could find on-line, anyway.
Ta for all your help.
Will update other thread.
Am.