PDA

View Full Version : Signature on photos

Shelley
13-05-2013, 8:30am
I have had a request for a image with my signature and numbered.

My query is what is the best way to apply a signature to your image. Digitally on the image or after its printed?

outstar79
13-05-2013, 8:53am
I personally would and have used just another layer in photoshop to digitally add my signature. Easy if you have a tablet like the WACOM ones. Then do you use your actual signature? Or is writing on the image after it's printed going to "wreck" the image?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8381/8499078625_ee751ea640_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/outstarwild/8499078625/)
IMGP7686_-2_-3_tonemapped (http://www.flickr.com/photos/outstarwild/8499078625/) by Adam Brice (http://www.flickr.com/people/outstarwild/), on Flickr

Shelley
13-05-2013, 8:59am
Sounds digitally is the best. Will have to work out how to do it. I don't have a Wacom. I could scan it in I guess.

Thanks Adam

outstar79
13-05-2013, 9:06am
They are fairly inexpensive now, you'll only need a smaller sized one (which is great for manipulating in Photoshop too :D) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wacom-Bamboo-Pen-Touch-Small-Tablet-CTH-470-3G-3rd-Gen-Optional-Wireless-Kit-/280751489380

Shelley
13-05-2013, 9:27am
Will check it out :)

mongo
13-05-2013, 9:39am
the tablets are good but you do not need one to do this simple exercise. You can simply scan in your signature and apply it. However, the background you sign it on may be an issue as it will be hard to separate it from the signature itself when you past it on as a second layer on your image. If this happens it may be an idea to sign on a background that you would like for when it becomes part of the image.

Mongo applies his electronic signature to documents all the time. However, the signature was on a white background when it was originally scanned in some years ago. So, the background is not visible as such when applied to a white document.

fillum
13-05-2013, 9:40am
Surely the point of a signature is that the print is physically signed by the artist? From what I've seen this is usually in the bottom margin, but you could sign the back of the print - maybe ask the requestee where they want it signed. You'll need a pen that is permanent on photographic paper, perhaps an arts supply place might be of help with that (I've never had to do it :().

Cheers.

Shelley
13-05-2013, 9:49am

mongo
13-05-2013, 10:22am
despite what Mongo said earlier, he found an old example which has not been PP for posting but which does have that scanned signature he was talking about. So, posted as is. You can see the signature on bottom right. Can't remember how Mongo did it without the background appearing though.

you can see from the signature , however, that Mongo can not spell "Mongo" when signing.

Shelley
13-05-2013, 7:55pm
Thanks Mongo for that information. I think I wil try a scanned signature as per your suggestion. I have been asked a few times, but never really did anything about it.

I am notoriously slow for administration side of my photography, I put things off, but I am making an effort to be more organised.

s1l3nt
13-05-2013, 8:45pm
Photoshop has a cool feature if you use it. Scan in your signature and run the filter which runs a line over your hand written signature, making it appear digital and neat. Google will have many tutorials for this also :) Clean white paper and sign with a black pen. Allows for easy background removal, save as transparent and its reusable at any time :)

Shelley
13-05-2013, 9:31pm
Photoshop has a cool feature if you use it. Scan in your signature and run the filter which runs a line over your hand written signature, making it appear digital and neat. Google will have many tutorials for this also :) Clean white paper and sign with a black pen. Allows for easy background removal, save as transparent and its reusable at any time :)

Thanks for that - definitely give that a go. What filter in Photoshop are you referring to? Could I save as brush, like I do with my watermark?

Mark L
13-05-2013, 9:49pm
Surely the point of a signature is that the print is physically signed by the artist? ....

That's what I was thinking!!

Shelley
13-05-2013, 9:53pm
That's what I was thinking!!
I was a bit worried using that method, in stuffing up the image - especially on photopaper. I have looked at images by well known Artists and they do look like they are digitally applied to me.

But, I will certainly look at as maybe people expect that, I don't know - not being savvy to that. I have been surprised at the people that have asked or told me I should put my signature on the front of an image (I thought it would spoil it, lol).

ricktas
13-05-2013, 10:00pm
For me, If someone thought my image special enough they wanted it signed, I think I would sign it in marker pen.

I own a cell from the Ugly Duckling from the 1939 Disney film. It was given to me by my grandmother . What is unique about it as far as I can ascertain is that it is signed by Walt Disney. I have never been able to find any information about another cell from the Ugly Duckling that he has signed. I have had several offers of 5 figure sums for it. I am sure its value would not be so great if the signature was printed onto the cell, rather than being signed directly by Walt.

As a long term investment, I think your real signature will hold more value than a digitised version of it.

Shelley
13-05-2013, 10:06pm
For me, If someone thought my image special enough they wanted it signed, I think I would sign it in marker pen.

I own a cell from the Ugly Duckling from the 1939 Disney film. It was given to me by my grandmother . What is unique about it as far as I can ascertain is that it is signed by Walt Disney. I have never been able to find any information about another cell from the Ugly Duckling that he has signed. I have had several offers of 5 figure sums for it. I am sure its value would not be so great if the signature was printed onto the cell, rather than being signed directly by Walt.

As a long term investment, I think your real signature will hold more value than a digitised version of it.

Good point and makes sense. Hand written signature then :). Will look into buying a decent pen to sign then. I will sign when requested.

MissionMan
13-05-2013, 10:29pm
Sounds digitally is the best. Will have to work out how to do it. I don't have a Wacom. I could scan it in I guess.

Thanks Adam

Are you on windows or Mac? With any of the multitouch Apple laptops you can actually sign using the mousepad or use the webcam on the laptops or desktops to produce a signature.

Shelley
13-05-2013, 10:37pm
Windows :) and macs at work, work laptop mac - drives me to distraction, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

MissionMan
13-05-2013, 10:42pm

- - - Updated - - -

Next time you're at work, use this technique to get your signature. You should be able to save it as a PNG. If not, there is an app called Autograph which will allow you to sign your name on your Mac laptop or even an iOS version for an iPhone or iPad if you have one of those.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167361/sign_your_pdfs_electronically_using_preview.html

s1l3nt
15-05-2013, 11:46pm
Thanks for that - definitely give that a go. What filter in Photoshop are you referring to? Could I save as brush, like I do with my watermark?

Quick google search as I cant remember the filter haha. But there are many ways to skin a cat as they say.
1 - http://pshero.com/photoshop-tutorials/graphic-design/turn-your-signature-into-a-photoshop-custom-shape
2- http://www.ultimatephotoguide.com/articles/post-processing/making-a-signature-brush-preset/
3- http://www.productivity501.com/how-to-create-a-scanned-signature/357/

Just a few different ways, whichever is easier for you is best :)

The way i was thinking was through Adobe Illustrator if you have that, it has a "live trace" feature which digitally inks your scanned sketch :) Sorry for the confusion.

Hope this helps. :th3:

Rattus79
16-05-2013, 9:38am
My advice for scanning a signature:

Use a Calligraphy Pen, something with a decent width to it. It makes the selections in PS easier if it has more pixels to work with.

Scan it at the highest resolution possible

Use a very clean piece of paper, preferably gloss. You will have less marks/dust etc to clean up and confuse a quick selection.

do 2 final versions.
One with a white background, and one with a black background. That way you can apply a white signature on a dark background and a black signature on a light background using layers and blend modes.

Saving as PNG allows you to completely remove the background (neither white nor black) JPEG does not!

A cheats way of doing the selection:
Menu: Select > Colour Range
Set it to shadows and it should automatically select all of the text (as well as any dust marks)
Deselect any dust marks, and use the background eraser tool - Right click the eraser tool - to remove the background completely. Be thorough, any dust marks will show up.

William W
16-05-2013, 6:27pm
I have had a request for a image with my signature and numbered.

My query is what is the best way to apply a signature to your image. Digitally on the image or after its printed?

Your call as to what is better, but my 'signature' is my signature (i.e. written by me) - I use these (http://stationery.auspost.com.au/office-supplies/writing/artline-993-metallic-gold-silver-ink-calligraphy-pens.html)(usually the gold one).

An unsolicited comment on numbering: - one can't really, until all the prints are printed and signed and the dye (file or neg.) is destroyed. That's the predicate of a Limited Run and numbering each of them.

WW

Doktaduck
17-05-2013, 11:09am
I'd have to agree with the people suggesting you "sign" the photo, and not print your signature.
In this case it seems that the person is looking for that unique and personal touch. If I ever asked for a photo which was signed, then that is what I would expect.

That said, some people not into photography etc.. might actually only be talking about a watermark.

I have been surprised at the people that have asked or told me I should put my signature on the front of an image (I thought it would spoil it, lol).

This statement is what made me think that they are referring to a watermark (laymens signature).

If you are mounting and selling an image, I'd be inclined to actually Name the image and "sign" -digitally is fine in the border, centered and under the image.

If you are doing a limited edition, or a special one-off image run, then I would do the same, however I would also add an actual "written" signature that might cross into the image itself.

welly
17-05-2013, 1:24pm
My personal opinion is that signatures should be on the back of the image as a sign of authenticity or out of the frame on the mat. Not sure I like these gaudy watermarks all over images. It's fine for the web but not when you're printing an image for a friend, family or customer.

Shelley
17-05-2013, 10:38pm
Thanks for all the comments and thoughts. Always helpful to hear others thoughts when coming to a decision. I don't think I will be inundated with signatures required on my images. Also William, I don't think it would be a limited edition, more like the 1, 2 or 3rd copy. If I ever get to that privileged state where I can do limited editions, lol, I will have a very big party.

My personal opinion is that signatures should be on the back of the image as a sign of authenticity or out of the frame on the mat. Not sure I like these gaudy watermarks all over images. It's fine for the web but not when you're printing an image for a friend, family or customer.
I was asked to sign :). Usually you don't watermark printed images for a paying customer. Usually on the web a watermark is used to promote the photographer who took the image and also to show visual ownership of and hopefully discourage copying - but that is another thread I imagine.

geecee
18-05-2013, 1:54am
A hand written signature might be more authentic but signing with a marker sounds dicey to me. Is it likely to affect the image over time? I have seen some framed images signed on the matt.