PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me how this happened

Lance B
26-04-2013, 9:47pm
I bought a new Nokia Lumia 920 Windows phone updating from a previous Windows phone, an HTC HD7.

OK. Last night, I manually copied all of my contacts, one by one, to my new phone simply because I could not sync both phones together to update it automatically via Bluetooth or any other means, they just would not recognise each other via Bluetooth (wonders of modern technology - NOT). Also, my previous HTC HD7 phone was having issues on my computer and wouldn't be recognised by it and therefore I could not back up my contacts to the computer, therefore necessitating me to transfer my contacts across manually from the old phone. No big deal, all done in about an hour and all saved and it gave me a chance to weed out those I don't use anymore.

My wife needed an upgraded phone, so my HTC HD7 went to her to use but she needed a different SIM card and so, I went to Telstra and got a new SIM card so as she could use the new phone. After that, I deleted many of the contacts that were on the HTC HD7 as she would not need them and left those that we would both have, like family members, emergency contacts, Message Bank, Call Connect, etc.

Now, here's the kicker. I then looked at my new phone and I now have the same contact list as what I had left on my old phone after deleting the redundant contacts, ie all of the ones I deleted on the old phone are now deleted on my new phone list!!! We have exactly the same phone contacts on each phone. I have not connected the phone together in any way, the Bluetooth is turned off on the old phone so there is no way they could have synced, I have not connected the old phone to the computer, so there is no way that the old phone's list could have been transferred to the new phone via the computer or any other means.

Can anyone explain this??? It is bizarre to say the least.

Cage
26-04-2013, 9:57pm
Um, did you inadvertently put the sim cards in the wrong phones?

Lance B
26-04-2013, 10:23pm
Um, did you inadvertently put the sim cards in the wrong phones?

No. They haven't left their respective phones.

Cage
26-04-2013, 10:29pm
Just an off the top thought mate.

Having a long history of dumb moves, I always look to the obvious first. :lol2:

Lance B
26-04-2013, 11:19pm
Just an off the top thought mate.

Having a long history of dumb moves, I always look to the obvious first. :lol2:

Me too. :D

Mathy
26-04-2013, 11:22pm
Hi Lance, the only thing I can think that might have happened is if you have a wireless network at home and the phones were on that network and set to automatic update. If your PC had the 'refined' list of contacts, perhaps this could have occurred. Apart from that I'm scratching my head :confused013, cheers Deb

Lance B
26-04-2013, 11:36pm
Hi Lance, the only thing I can think that might have happened is if you have a wireless network at home and the phones were on that network and set to automatic update. If your PC had the 'refined' list of contacts, perhaps this could have occurred. Apart from that I'm scratching my head :confused013, cheers Deb

A good thought. However, I just checked my old phone and it has had the wireless connection turned off and hasn't been on since I changed the SIM card.

Interestingly, I just added a contact to my new phone and it has added it to my old phone!!

This is driving me nuts.

Cargo
27-04-2013, 6:15am
No idea Lance :scrtch:
But I bet a kid could tell you and fix it ....... :lol2:
Good luck sorting it
Cheers Cargo

ameerat42
27-04-2013, 9:14am
On my (older, non-smart) phone, contacts are sometimes replicated in both phone memory AND SIM card?
Swap SIM to another phone and there are some of my contacts. Put another SIM in from another phone and there are someone else's contacts.
Offered with PERHAPS + MAYBE + Something like that + ???
Am.

nardes
27-04-2013, 9:38am
Hi Lance

We don’t have mobile ‘phones, (never had a need for them), so I’m unfamiliar with these devices and they communicate and/or synchronise.:)

However, I know that my iPad can synchronise via the Cloud but this does require me to connect to the 3G network. Could it be that both ‘phones somehow ‘phoned home to your service provider, synced on their server and then synced on your new ‘phone?:confused013

Cheers

Dennis

MarkChap
27-04-2013, 9:38am
Here is a thought, did you at anytime make use of a "cloud" based backup system, much like Apple iCloud, ??

Lance B
27-04-2013, 10:13am
On my (older, non-smart) phone, contacts are sometimes replicated in both phone memory AND SIM card?
Swap SIM to another phone and there are some of my contacts. Put another SIM in from another phone and there are someone else's contacts.
Offered with PERHAPS + MAYBE + Something like that + ???
Am.

Thanks for the thought, but it is a new card that went into the old phone and I had wiped the contacts from that phone as well, so there is no way that the contacts could come across.Also, I never swapped the SIM cards from one phone to the other phone.

- - - Updated - - -

No idea Lance :scrtch:
But I bet a kid could tell you and fix it ....... :lol2:
Good luck sorting it
Cheers Cargo

Most definitely!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Lance

We don’t have mobile ‘phones, (never had a need for them), so I’m unfamiliar with these devices and they communicate and/or synchronise.:)

However, I know that my iPad can synchronise via the Cloud but this does require me to connect to the 3G network. Could it be that both ‘phones somehow ‘phoned home to your service provider, synced on their server and then synced on your new ‘phone?:confused013

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you for the thoughts. I think I have discovered wht the culprit is. I have Windows Live account and I thought I removed it from my old phone, but it looks like it is still on there as well as the new phone and they must be syncing that way. However, I can't seem to remove the Windows Live account from my old phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a thought, did you at anytime make use of a "cloud" based backup system, much like Apple iCloud, ??

Thank you for your suggestion, Mark. I think I have discovered wht the culprit is. I have Windows Live account and I thought I removed it from my old phone, but it looks like it is still on there as well as the new phone and they must be syncing that way. However, I can't seem to remove the Windows Live account from my old phone. Any ideas?

arthurking83
27-04-2013, 10:25am
..... However, I can't seem to remove the Windows Live account from my old phone. Any ideas?

But can you remove the phone from the Live account?

That is, instead of removing Win Live from the phone, go into your settings at Live and see what devices you have connected there too.
(dunno, just a guess .. I don't use my Live account for these purposes).

Lance B
27-04-2013, 10:27am
Just did a factory reset of my old HTC HD7 phone and that removed the Windows Live account and has stopped the syncing. Stupod bloody Window system doesn't allow for removal of a live account from a phone unless you do a factory reset. How stupid is that?!!

Again, thank you all for your replies. All fixed now. :)