PDA

View Full Version : Double Yellow Lines or Double White Lines?

Bear Dale
23-04-2013, 12:21pm
What's your preference?

I wish they'd stayed yellow and never went to white.

ameerat42
23-04-2013, 12:26pm
You know, I was about to start up a thread asking, "What'll JimD think up next?"
I still might!

Anyway, I'm open to compromise, so let's have one of each.
But think about it, "Yellow Line Fever"? Might as well be Saturday Night.
:rolleyes:m.

PS. Is this a poll? Where's the voting scale?

Bear Dale
23-04-2013, 12:40pm
LOL ....nope no poll and I like the minutia of life :)

Geoff Port
23-04-2013, 1:19pm
The Yellow was good but the other's all white,
as long as they're there so we don't drift to the right.
And on cold misty evenings when the vision is poor a fog line of white is just great I am sure. ;):D

geoffsta
23-04-2013, 5:22pm
I thought, and I did hear, that yellow is the choice of colour for snow, foggy areas. They claim it is easier to see in those conditions. Although is harder to see on a bright sunny day.

Steve Axford
23-04-2013, 5:31pm
Possibly more bright sunny days in Oz than snow and fog.

ricktas
23-04-2013, 6:34pm
HUH? I must live under a rock. I have no idea what this is about? ? ?

Steve Axford
23-04-2013, 6:44pm
That's possible. :)

ameerat42
23-04-2013, 6:46pm
The Yellow was good but the other's all white,
as long as they're there so we don't drift to the right.
And on cold misty evenings when the vision is poor a fog line of white is just great I am sure. ;):D

Geoff, you're a powet and you don't knowet!

- - - Updated - - -

HUH? I must live under a rock. I have no idea what this is about? ? ?

Join the club, Rick. I think we've been hit with (a) mace.

geoffsta
23-04-2013, 7:06pm
HUH? I must live under a rock.
Don't you mean "On a rock"

Lance B
23-04-2013, 7:07pm
We used to have unbroken lines in yellow and broken lines in white (from memory). All I know is that it was easier to see the yellow lines when it was raining and basically it is now almost impossble to see the white lines when it is raining and not all that much different when it wasn't raining, ie they were both pretty easy to see. I vote for the return of yellow lines.

ameerat42
23-04-2013, 7:12pm
FWIW, I still sometimes explete, "Oh, willyer look at that IDJET doing a U-turn on the dubble yeller lines." (OWTTE)
A(little behind the times)m.

(PS: I wonder if it's just a plot by JimD to get us all painting yellow lines on the roads?)

ricktas
23-04-2013, 7:29pm
Are we talking road surface signage here?

ameerat42
23-04-2013, 7:31pm
(Yes, but don't tell Jim I told ya.)

geoffsta
23-04-2013, 8:00pm
@ ricktas. Many years ago instead of white lines in the middle of the road in NSW, they use to be all yellow. Lance hit it on the head when talking about rain. And I know they use yellow lines in the snow fields here in Victoria.

ricktas
23-04-2013, 8:10pm
Ah ok, we have yellow lines on the sides of some of our roads, but white lines down the middle.

Mathy
23-04-2013, 8:18pm
@ ricktas. Many years ago instead of white lines in the middle of the road in NSW, they use to be all yellow. Lance hit it on the head when talking about rain. And I know they use yellow lines in the snow fields here in Victoria.
Aaaah! This explains it. You might have had double yellows in NSW, but I suspect it is peculiar to your state. I was in confused land with Rick :lol2:. According to Wiki, yellow might be used in the middle of the road in areas where fog, snow etc exist - an unlikely occurrence in SA.

Now, if we could just train people to understand that a double line in the middle of the road (irrespective of colour) means you DON'T overtake unless it's to take evasive action due to an unforeseeable emergency :D

Darey
23-04-2013, 8:22pm
Definitely Yellow for me, They were always easier to see.

ROA44
23-04-2013, 9:18pm
I'm Sure we had yellow in SA but they went to white. White is as useless as T.O.A.B. I reckon they should go to using Blue cats eyes down the centre of the roads like I saw in QLD. back in the late 70's Early 80's they stood out like T.O.A.B. White lines, yellow lines who cares there both useless in the wet return of the cats eyes is my preference. At least when you run over them ya doin the country a favour:lol::lol::lol:

Mark L
23-04-2013, 9:22pm
'spose I gotta say something that's irrelevant.
mmm , when I was much younger, the white lines where used occasionally. If they changed to yellow and now back to white then I missed all that. Red has been my drug of choice for a long time now.
:confused013

geecee
23-04-2013, 9:45pm
Well before I had a licence I have vague recollections of yellow lines here in Vic. In the last 40 years i've only seen 'em in backward places like NSW & USA.

ameerat42
24-04-2013, 8:14am
Well before I had a licence I have vague recollections of yellow lines here in Vic. In the last 40 years i've only seen 'em in backward places like NSW & USA.
So you're saying that when you put your car in reverse, the lines turn yellow?
Hmm!

Bear Dale
24-04-2013, 9:43am
I don't know why they went from double yellow lines to white yellow lines. On a rainy day the white ones aren't all that visible.

It's not uncommon to still hear an older person say "I was coming home last night and some idiot overtook me over double yellow lines".

- - - Updated - - -

Just another titbit of information.

I do remember in the late 60's a concerted effort and campaign to change school children's raincoats from black to yellow.

My first yellow raincoat was in primary school and it was a very thick yellow vinyl that had black felt around the collar to try and assuage how deep the collar cut into your skin!

mongo
24-04-2013, 10:26am
it's a worry ! Mongo had not even noticed the change of colour. To him , the lines mean the same thing if they are white or yellow. Perhaps one colour is better than the other in different weather conditions but, in some states of Australia, the weather conditions do not change significantly enough such that there is any difference to whether white or yellow is used. However, if there are places in Australia where the weather conditions do make a difference in the visibility depending on colour used, then, for the sake of those places and for the sake of CONSISTENCY anywhere in Australia for drivers, they should pick the colours that work best in those affected areas and use them throughout Australia.

It would be probably a lot quicker to make the roads safer by just getting Mongo and his tricycle off the roads.

Geoff Port
25-04-2013, 7:26pm
Geoff, you're a powet and you don't knowet!

- - - Updated - - -

Yep AM and two more legs and I'd be a goat. :lol::lol::lol:

Stole that one from my Dad's repertoire of bad jokes.

Join the club, Rick. I think we've been hit with (a) mace.

Bennymiata
02-05-2013, 10:07am
I reckon the yellow lines were easier to see at night, and especially in the rain.

Why don't they put some reflective stuff in their paint?
Then it wouldn't matter what colour they were.

ameerat42
04-05-2013, 3:53pm
NEWS FLASH:
Due to overwhelming demand, the "govverment" is going to roll out YELLOW BRICK ROADS all over OZ.
(The funds have suddenly materialised through some fiscal wizardry on the part of the treasurer.)

geoffsta
12-05-2013, 8:14pm
Went to Mt Hotham today.. Here is the start of the snow line..

Mat
12-05-2013, 9:00pm
I know the yellow lines are used in the NSW snowys... As a side note, what about a change in colour for school zones? That way you will know when they start and when they end and if they apply to the side streets you turn into. I know there are signs at the start and end but what if they are obstructed or stolen? There are croc teeth at the start but not at the end. If the lines are a different colour then you will know for the whole zone. There are broken yelow on the side for clearways.

wilko61
29-05-2013, 10:33am
If my memory serves me correctly, my Brother-in-law, an engineer for the RTA at the time. Had told me the switch to white paint was due to cost. The yellow paint was frightfully expensive, but it was to be kept in those areas mentioned previously. Around the Central Tablelands on NSW we get fog and snow during winter/spring but we don't have yellow-lines any-more. Even around Canberra I think they have white lines.

I suppose the road authority(s) have gone to white lines, ...... but how did we ever drive & survive with-out the "cat-eyes" to enhance the centre line and road edges?