PDA

View Full Version : Olympus EPL-5 and Lumix 20mm 1.7 - Manual Focus question

Serpico66
21-04-2013, 8:14pm
I am a newbie so please bear with me.

Just purchased a LUMIX G 20mm f-1.7 ASPH online for my Olympus epl-5. I've taken some beautiful photos with auto-focus but for the life of me I dont see any change of focus when turning the focus ring.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

davsv1
21-04-2013, 8:28pm
Hi,
I'm not familiar with your camera but in general make sure you have you camera set on manual focus or auto + manual.
It should be in the menu somewhere close by.

Serpico66
22-04-2013, 10:43pm
Thanks for the advice.. Much appreciated

swifty
30-04-2013, 8:45pm
Hi Serpico66,
If you haven't already solved the problem, at least on the EM5, there's the option of S-AF/MF instead of just S-AF.

When you're in the S-AF/MF mode, what happens is you can autofocus with manual focus override whereas in S-AF mode, you can only AF and the MF ring becomes obsolete.
I believe many of native m43 lenses have electronic fly-by-wire focus rings as oppose to mechanical ones so turning it doesn't mechanically change anything unless you engage its electronic function. I don't own the Panasonic 20mm/1.7 so I couldn't tell you if the AF ring is mechanical or fly-by-wire but I suspect that's the reason nothing happens when you turn the ring, unless you've engaged its function in the AF menu.