PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Suitable Smaller Shoulder type Camera Bag

trueblue
20-04-2013, 10:51am
Hi all
I looking for some opinions on a better small type shoulder camera bag to contain my camera a couple of lenses or a flash. I currently have a Lowepro Trekker 300AW and a Crumpler 5MDH. The 300AW Trekker is a great bag for travel and long holidays but a pain in the butt for a few hour session quick access shoulder carry around bag. I often take out say my Canon 5DMk2, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8, 17-40L, and maybe a 600EX flash on certain day outings. I have found the Crumpler 5MDH a great inconspicious bag but it is a bit small. I Thought of going to a Crumpler 6MDH but starting to read posts on this site regarding Domke F2 etc which interests me.

Would be interested in your opinions on particulary good shoulder bags around the Crumpler 6MDH size or slightly larger (particulary if it can take a 5Dmk2 with the 70-200mm lens fitted to the camera. I am not great lover of the sling type backpacks - I have a grey market one -but happy to hear of your opinion on this.

Regards

Trueblue

ricktas
20-04-2013, 11:42am
have a look at the lowepro sling range. : http://store.lowepro.com/sling-bags

the Passport slings might be just what you need.

Pixley
20-04-2013, 12:08pm
I have a passport sling as well I use when taking out the D800 with the 24-120 attached (or other lens such as the 105 or 85 mm of similar length) plus another lens - however, it doesnt fit my 70-200. So if you want to take them all at once then I would look for a larger shoulder bag. The sling is a great non conspicuous looking bag though and you can take the padded insert out and have a normal messenger style bag as well.

nardes
20-04-2013, 2:32pm
In my opinion, the combined weight and bulk of the 5D Mk II camera body, plus 3 lenses, flash and accessories such as spare battery, cards, etc. may be too much bulk and weight for a single strap, over the shoulder bag?

I would personally feel more comfortable with a waist mounted bag that had a good shoulder strap so that the weight is distributed around your waist/hips with the shoulder strap for stability and to assist the waist bag being swung around for use, or parked at the side or rear whilst shooting.

Having said that, I have found that waist bags don’t always slide easily around the waist depending on what clothing you are wearing.

If you are carrying the gear to a location and then working out of a bag, then maybe a single strap bag would be okay, but to wear it for long periods, fully packed, would probably lead to fatigue?

Cheers

Dennis

WhoDo
20-04-2013, 4:00pm
I use the Tamrac Aero 3350 and it's surprising how much actually fits in such a compact bag. I carry a D7000 body, 18-55, 55-300 and 50mm f/1.8 lenses, an SB700 flash + batteries, a pair of remote triggers and their batteries, as well as a lens cleaning kit and a manual for the SB700 (who can remember all of those features, anyway). Still light enough for my arthritic shoulders, and will sit on my hip while I remove camera and swap lenses, etc. Worth a look at the range IMHO.