PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Vivid Lights - Saturday 25 May 2013, 6pm

peterb666
18-04-2013, 11:04pm
Anyone interested in the Sydney Vivid light show?

If there is enough interest, how about a meet on Saturday 25 May starting at 6pm?

Details are here... Sydney Vivid Light Festival (http://www.vividsydney.com/events/categories/light/)

cupic
19-04-2013, 12:42am
This would be fun.As it will be my first and get a chance to meet new faces

cheers

Duggo
19-04-2013, 8:04pm
Hi,
all going well i'll be there
Cheers

Darey
19-04-2013, 9:34pm
You can count me in for this one.

NikonNellie
19-04-2013, 10:40pm
I should be there. :)

mechawombat
20-04-2013, 12:14am
I will no doubt be attending during the week (I really hate crowds and I work saturday nights)

Bulley61
20-04-2013, 3:41pm
I would be interested too...

NikonNellie
20-04-2013, 6:14pm
I would be interested too...

There will probably be a few of us from your area Julie so we may be able to car pool. :)

Maezyra
24-04-2013, 2:28am
I would desperately love to go, but I am not up for it this year. I am not supposed to be on my feet for too long, I am definitely not supposed to lugging heavy gear around and I need to avoid pushy crowds this year due to being in the process of building a new portrait subject, due in mid-late-September :party6: Very disappointed to miss them lighting up the bridge as well this year - So I look forward to seeing LOTS of beautiful photos so I can feel like I was there. Have a great time and I will definitely be there in 2014!!

cupic
24-04-2013, 5:21pm
We have a date time.Where would be the best to meet and wheres parking.I am up to 1.5hr traveling from the Gong

cheers

peterb666
24-04-2013, 10:25pm
Hi Cupic

Specific details will be provided about a week before. Still a long way off. If you have any particular requirements or want to provide suggestions, you are welcome.

There are plenty of car parks in the CBD and most have reasonable weekend rates and some car park companies offer discounts if you register.

ktoopi
25-04-2013, 11:07am
Count me in for this one !! I can give my new camera a run!!!:D

Maezyra
26-04-2013, 12:52am
Count me in for this one !! I can give my new camera a run!!!:D

Ooooh! What'd you get?

NikonNellie
26-04-2013, 10:14am
I hope it was a Nikon! :D

Mr Felix
28-04-2013, 10:44am
Oh, I was hoping it was a Canon. :p

I hope to be coming to it also.

ktoopi
29-04-2013, 6:22pm
Ooooh! What'd you get?

Very excited.......I got a Canon 5D mkiii !!!! and nice 24-105 mm L lens to go with:D
:D:D:D:D

- - - Updated - - -

I hope it was a Nikon! :D

Sorry........................no Nikon in this camp!:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I was hoping it was a Canon. :p

I hope to be coming to it also.

You bet it was a Canon!

cupic
09-05-2013, 12:56am
Do we have a meeting area yet or is it still in holding pattern

NikonNellie
09-05-2013, 10:50am
Keep an eye on the thread Cupic. Details are usually posted in the final week leading up to the event. We quite often will meet for dinner first and then onto the light shows. :)

binnie
10-05-2013, 12:45am
Hi guys I'm in for this meet, it sounds good, I can't believe it's been a yr already!

sunset
17-05-2013, 3:46pm
I should be free for this too :-)

Mr Felix
17-05-2013, 6:33pm
Um, did I miss something?

I am reading there is mention of another meet.

NikonNellie
17-05-2013, 8:38pm
Um, did I miss something?

I am reading there is mention of another meet.

No mention of another meet in this thread Andrew which is only for the Vivid Sydney meet on the 25th May. :confused013

Mat
18-05-2013, 12:21am
Enjoy... I'll be in Port Macq, but I'll try to go there on the following Tuesday night

Mr Felix
18-05-2013, 8:32am
Ah, sorry. Confused.

Yeah, all things being good, I hope to be there.

:tog:

peterb666
19-05-2013, 12:05am
Greetings all.

I suggest we meet at 6pm to 6:15pm at No 2 Wharf, Circular Quay - that's the Manly Ferry wharf and go from there. I believe there is also stuff at Darling Harbour this year, so later on we could make our way around there.

For those that want to start earlier, I would suggest Mrs Macquarie's Chair at around 4:00ish and bring some snacks etc before shooting a sunset with the sun setting behind the Opera House (I know, cliche). Sunset is at 4:56 and "last light is about 5:25. Botanic Gardens closes at 5:30 and the walk to Circular Quay will take about 30 minutes.

Cheers

Peter

ktoopi
19-05-2013, 9:16am
Are we going to have dinner somewhere? I can recommend Sailors Thai right in the thick of everything!:D But would need to book asap!

NikonNellie
19-05-2013, 6:00pm
Mmmm.....Thai sounds good to me but happy to eat where ever.

peterb666
19-05-2013, 6:06pm
Are we going to have dinner somewhere? I can recommend Sailors Thai right in the thick of everything!:D But would need to book asap!

Sounds good. Booking would be essential if we can get firm numbers. Do you want to coordinate the booking? I have too many distractions at the moment.

cupic
19-05-2013, 6:38pm
Where would the the cheapest and closest parking station that members use .
I'm from Wollongong so its a 1.5hr drive at the least to get there

cheers

sunset
19-05-2013, 8:44pm
Cupic - Wilson Parking have on-line 'book a bay'specials so if you book in advance it's only $14. Quay West 111 Harrington St is great for the Rocks, Circular Quay etc.

Peter/Narelle - I'm happy to meet/do whatever. Snacks at Mrs Maqs chair would be good but with events at Darling Harbour too we can't do it all (well I can't without collapsing in a heap ;)) Darling Harbour looks good. I think I'll have to go in at least twice!

peterb666
19-05-2013, 10:05pm
I agree, we may not make it to Darling Harbour. Subsequent visits are on the agenda for me too.

ktoopi
19-05-2013, 10:07pm
Sounds good. Booking would be essential if we can get firm numbers. Do you want to coordinate the booking? I have too many distractions at the moment.

Happy to coordinate booking if people can start giving me a yay or nay i'd want to try and book Tuesday at the latest. What time? If we are meeting at 6-6:15 at wharf 2 then a 6:30 booking might be in order:)

NikonNellie
19-05-2013, 10:40pm
Karen - A YAY from me. 6:30 booking sounds good.

Ness - Do you want to travel in together? Happy to do the driving if you want as long as you give me directions. If we go in together do you want to do the sunset at Mrs Macs Chair. I am happy either way. :)

cupic
19-05-2013, 10:40pm
I'll pass on the eating and just stick to the camera work.Sitting down and eating only robs you of time,beside eat on the run just to top up is the go

peterb666
20-05-2013, 8:16am
Thanks Karen, Christine & I will dine in - the lights are on to around midnight so the won't go away. :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Darey
20-05-2013, 5:24pm
Thai sounds good for me, so count me in.

ktoopi
20-05-2013, 7:08pm
Anyone else want to confirm for Thai? :)

NikonNellie
20-05-2013, 8:40pm
Anyone else want to confirm for Thai? :)

Check with sunset (Ness) Karen as she may want to dine in as well. Maybe make a few extra bookings just in case we have a few stragglers.

mechawombat
20-05-2013, 9:33pm
They were testing down in Darling harbour tonight.

ktoopi
20-05-2013, 11:08pm
Check with sunset (Ness) Karen as she may want to dine in as well. Maybe make a few extra bookings just in case we have a few stragglers.

Great minds think alike Narelle!:D

ktoopi
21-05-2013, 4:49pm
Ok everyone........I have made a booking at Sailors Thai in the downstairs dining room on Saturday night at 6;30pm in the name of Karen, if you want to be added to the booking.....please let me know ASAP:)

raccoon
22-05-2013, 7:40am
HI Guys, unfortunately we wont be able to make Saturday night. Hope you have a good night

binnie
22-05-2013, 2:03pm
Hi Karen, sorry for the late post could you please book me in for sailors as well...
I'm going to aim to head in early but if i can't get there in time i'll meet you at Circular Quay.

Ventureoverland
22-05-2013, 6:17pm
Is there room for one more? I reckon ill be free on Saturday afternoon & evening. I'll not go for food, but wouldn't mind meeting up at Circular Quay and heading over to Mrs Mac's chair for sunset before heading back to the lights.

Thx
Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

peterb666
22-05-2013, 8:40pm
Is there room for one more? I reckon ill be free on Saturday afternoon & evening. I'll not go for food, but wouldn't mind meeting up at Circular Quay and heading over to Mrs Mac's chair for sunset before heading back to the lights.

Thx
Jon

Plenty of room Jon

Meeting time for Mrs Macquarie's Chair at around 4:00ish; there won't be a prior meeting before then.

We will head off to Circular quay around 5:30 and get there around 6pm to 6:15pm, then head off to the Sailor's Thai. I don't know how long we will be, but a phone call later, and we may be able to rendevous later.

Ventureoverland
23-05-2013, 9:31am
Plenty of room Jon

Meeting time for Mrs Macquarie's Chair at around 4:00ish; there won't be a prior meeting before then.

We will head off to Circular quay around 5:30 and get there around 6pm to 6:15pm, then head off to the Sailor's Thai. I don't know how long we will be, but a phone call later, and we may be able to rendevous later.

Excellent. Is that 4.00'ish at Mrs Mac's chair or somewhere else?

Sent using Forum Runner

ktoopi
23-05-2013, 12:21pm
Hi Karen, sorry for the late post could you please book me in for sailors as well...
I'm going to aim to head in early but if i can't get there in time i'll meet you at Circular Quay.

No worries Binnie! done:)

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quick update......I have booked sailors thai for the 6 confirmed participants. I thought I'd warn everyone that this is not your average suburban Thai restaurant and could cost in my estimation up to $50 a head if alcohol is consumed. The dishes range from $30 to $40 for mains and $20 to $30 for entrees. i have eaten there several times and the food is to die for but had no idea of cost as I wasn't paying!:o

We can eat in the upstairs canteen which is also part of Sailors Thai and has the same amazing food, is cheaper, but you can't book. You turn up and sit at a really long communal table with anyone else that is there after waiting in a usually long que! Although the que may not be that long at 6:30.

What do you all think? Are you happy to pay that amount for a really nice meal? I am happy to as i know the food is great but am happy for other optioons if this is too much for other budgets. There are great pubs nearby that I have eaten at and they will probably be a bit cheaper but will be packed and loud!

The other advantage of Sailors Thai is that it is right there ...footsteps from the Vivid action.:)
Cheers Karen

binnie
23-05-2013, 12:33pm
Thanks Karen :)

Im happy with the restaurant or which everway the group goes.

peterb666
23-05-2013, 1:58pm
Hi Karen, I looked at the two menus a couple of days ago and the difference in cost is not great. If you decide it is Sailors, it is fine with Christine and me. If you want to choose somewhere else, we will go with the flow.

Thanks

Peter

NikonNellie
23-05-2013, 6:38pm
I'm happy to treat myself to a nice meal wherever we decide to go. :)

Darey
23-05-2013, 8:27pm
Sailors sounds fine to me.

ktoopi
23-05-2013, 10:15pm
Confirming Sailors Thai at 6:30pm booking in name of Karen............These are the confirmed.... Me, Narelle, Darey, Peter & Christine, Binnie :)

If i've missed anyone let me know ASAP

See you all at Wharf 2 at 6:15:D

peterb666
24-05-2013, 12:17am
The weather forecast is looking good for Saturday too!!!

NikonNellie
24-05-2013, 6:31pm
I'm travelling in with Ness for the 4pm sunset shoot - how many are doing the Mrs Macq's Chair shoot?

peterb666
24-05-2013, 7:45pm
Christine and I will be doing Mrs Mac's Chair

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

binnie
24-05-2013, 8:38pm
I'll be heading in for mrs Marc's chair as well

Darey
24-05-2013, 8:51pm
I'm not sure I can make it for the chair but I will try.

Ventureoverland
24-05-2013, 9:54pm
I'll be at the chair too... If its dry!

Sent using Forum Runner

ktoopi
24-05-2013, 9:57pm
I'm going to try and make the chair as well. Anyone give me an idea of how long it would take to walk there from the Opera house?

Ventureoverland
24-05-2013, 11:18pm
I'm going to try and make the chair as well. Anyone give me an idea of how long it would take to walk there from the Opera house?

I've never walked all the way round but I'd guess 15mins from the opera house steps.

Sent using Forum Runner

peterb666
24-05-2013, 11:32pm

Through the Botanic Gardens, 15 to 20 minutes.

The Botanic Gardens closes at 5:30 so the return trip will be through the Domain.

cupic
25-05-2013, 5:29pm
Late scratching always a next time

Mr Felix
26-05-2013, 2:33pm
It was fun.

Alas I had to call it a night early. Too cold.

Update - for those interested:
The bridge: Wasn't "glowing" on the east side. That's because it is tonight when that side starts working - heard on radio and a bit read in.

So I guess that is why it wasn't glowing/working last night. Drats.

Nellie also mentioned that next weekend there will be some great Dr Who pictures shown on Customs house, so for all those who like "The doctor", you may want to get there next week end (or the week end of 1, 2 June)

Ventureoverland
26-05-2013, 4:48pm
I had a good night too, it was good to meet those that turned up and put faces to a names.

I got a couple of shots from the western side of the bridge when I got off the ferry but I havent got anything downloaded yet.

Must say that whilst I enjoyed the night and was happy to watch the moving projections, I was a bit disappointed that there wasnt as many small, static displays as there has been in previous years... Maybe they are all across at Darling Harbour... Im feeling the need to go and find out:)

Jon

livio
26-05-2013, 5:11pm
Hi Peter and all of the Other AP'ers who braved vivid last night, I was out there and I was looking forward to catching up with a number of APers but it's so hard there were just too many people with cameras. Met a few instructors and people taking classes out there. Overall I felt that the quality this year is better than last year but I also thought there was not as much. I did not get to Darling Harbour I am planning to do that next weekend. I hope all of you had a great night. I did.

Kind Regards
Livio

peterb666
26-05-2013, 5:31pm
Hi Livio

Didn't know you were coming. It was difficult to find and keep with anyone and even in the smallish group we had, getting from No2 wharf to the rocks wasn't fun.

I certainly agree that the lights were better for photography but with very few static scenes, also hard to photograph. High ISO and large apertures the name of the game. The P&O boat was a bit annoying blocking our favoured vantage point.

NikonNellie
26-05-2013, 8:33pm
Hi Peter and all of the Other AP'ers who braved vivid last night, I was out there and I was looking forward to catching up with a number of APers but it's so hard there were just too many people with cameras. Met a few instructors and people taking classes out there. Overall I felt that the quality this year is better than last year but I also thought there was not as much. I did not get to Darling Harbour I am planning to do that next weekend. I hope all of you had a great night. I did.

Kind Regards
Livio

Livio - if we had known you were coming we would have waited around for you at one of our two meeting points. We always post a yes or no post in our Meet Threads if we are attending so we know who to expect at the meet. Sorry we missed you! :)

livio
27-05-2013, 6:01pm
Hi Peter and Narelle, thanks for your replies, I didn't let anyone know I was going to be there just in case I didn't make it. I tried last year and got to observatory hill a little late. Again I said I would be there for some light painting at Clifton gardens and I was not able to get there. So this time I thought if I can catch up and I am looking forwards to catching up with the active Sydney APers. Next time I will answer the thread for a meet up and I will get there early, or at least give myself plenty of time to get there. When you have a big family things change quickly so I'll be looking forwards to seeing some of the posts arising from Vivid 2013. I'll also be trying to guess from where the shots were taken.

Kind Regards
Livio