PDA

View Full Version : The fulltime Photograher in the U.S.A

Bear Dale
18-04-2013, 1:46pm
I've been reading some U.S fulltime photographer magazines and also reading a lot of fulltime photographer threads on U.S forums (the iPad I think was made for insomniacs!) and it's truly incredible the changes that I have been reading of what has happened to the fulltime photographer over there in the last 10 years.

I know it's been bad here as well and it's not the same as it once was in terms of lucrativeness, but just how bad has it got?

Rattus79
18-04-2013, 1:47pm
Care to clarify these incredible changes? or are you going to leave us guessing?

Bear Dale
18-04-2013, 2:15pm
Care to clarify these incredible changes? or are you going to leave us guessing?

My apologies, I thought it would be obvious that I was talking that they have been financially devastated.

Studios in towns right across the U.S closing down. Not just small private ones either, massive operations that have been in department stores, malls etc.

School photography is virtually dead.

Galleries, framing and printing sidelines are virtually none existent up sells now.

Newspapers are paying virtually nothing.

Product photography has dried up.

Stock photography is dead.

The wedding market - prices just keep getting undercut.

It seems that everyone who gets laid off in the States either buys a camera and calls themselves a pro, or buys a ride on lawnmower and calls themselves a landscaper.

There's more, but I have to go out. I'll add more things later.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some online reading about it if anyone is interested (it does make for some interesting reading and some interesting views on why it has happened) -

Is professional photography dying out?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3454041

Why are so many photographers going out of business?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3472234

Everybody is a photographer!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3467589

nwhc
18-04-2013, 2:30pm
Please tell istock its dead there prices are getting insane for a good stock pic these days!

JM Tran
18-04-2013, 2:34pm
Im doing fine:) Adapt and embrace changes = survive and evolve.

I remembered a few years ago when I predicted how useful the iPad would be for work and photographers, quite a number of ppl on here scoffed at such an idea and called it a novelty.

Using that iPad example, if one remains entrenched in their business practices and beliefs over a long period of time, they are only harming themselves.

AVALANCHE
20-04-2013, 6:38pm
Adapt and embrace changes = survive and evolve.

+1

Nothing else needs to be said really.

jeffde
24-04-2013, 9:50am
Realistically I agree - there are a number of industries that are feeling the crunch due to technological innovation, reduced prices etc. Graphic design, spray tanning - nail technicians etc - just to name a few.
Yes some people will survive but without exception there are few FT photographers in Orange (where i live) who make the majority of their income from photography and who don't have a partner working and bringing in reasonable dollars as well.

Mark L
25-04-2013, 9:19pm
Im doing fine:) Adapt and embrace changes = survive and evolve.

That's well and good, though surely (partly due to wonderful technology) there are less "full time" photogs making a decent amount of money than 10 or 20 years ago.