PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor AFS 300mm f4 - Test shot

mongo
09-04-2013, 7:20pm
Mongo has only just acquired a lovely used copy of this lens. Weight is an issue with the f2.8 version when travelling for holidays so he thought this might be the answer.

Mongo is yet to do some fine AF adjusting on the lens when the weather clears long enough for that to happen and also to take more test shots. For now, he thought he would take a quick shot in difficult circumstances to really test its abilities.

300mm f4 at effectively f16 i.e stopped down 2 stops and with X2 converter (20EIII), tripod, on AF tracking mode, ISO1600, shutter 1/100th, -0.7 EV, D800 set to 1.2 crop factor. The image is virtually uncropped in post processing and only some noise reduction and mild sharpening applied.

Mongo thinks it did alright in the circumstances and is not unhappy with it. Should be able to do better when Mongo gets to know all its little quirks

Below is the original RAW (NEF) file with nothing done to it but reduced in size for posting

AVALANCHE
09-04-2013, 8:22pm
Thanks for sharing mongo, that is great!

fotog
09-04-2013, 8:26pm
Test shots successful Mongo. You and that lens will have a long and happy life together....

Cage
09-04-2013, 8:48pm
Trublubiker loves his 300mm f4, and he's sure Mongo will love his too, when he gets to know it.

In my opinion you have got a very presentable shot for 1/100s and a 2X T/C.

mongo
09-04-2013, 8:59pm
Trublubiker loves his 300mm f4, and he's sure Mongo will love his too, when he gets to know it.

In my opinion you have got a very presentable shot for 1/100s and a 2X T/C.

thanks Kevin.
Mongo has tried a 14EII on it and it is virtually undetectable. Of course, the X2 is deliberately really pushing it. Mongo is going to try a 1.7EII and an old 16A as well as an old 201(X2) converter. Strangely (but necessarily surprisingly) the old 201 X2 converter works better on Mongo's AIS 300mm f2.8 than the latest 20EIII but then again, they are better matched in optics and time.

Cage
09-04-2013, 9:12pm
Mongo, I've decided that any time I can see a real difference between the bare 300, and the 300 + TC-14EII, it is more than likely operator error.

And judging by the wake the bird is leaving in your shot, 1/100s was never going to give you a razor sharp image.

cupic
10-04-2013, 6:57pm
I have had this lens for the best part of a year and have use it exclusively with my Kenko Pro 300 1.4x on my D300s and its fabulous @ f/5.6 without the expense
bought it online for approx $200 and it hasnt left its mount,due to dust issues if the lens is swapped to often with other lens

cheers

A J Alderson
10-04-2013, 7:17pm
Congrats Mongo, you wont be disappointed. Its good to hear that the 1.4 works so well too. I will be picking one of these up soon.

I will be interested to see how you go with this lens and if you see value in paying so much more for the 2.8.

mongo
10-04-2013, 11:14pm
Congrats Mongo, you wont be disappointed. Its good to hear that the 1.4 works so well too. I will be picking one of these up soon.

I will be interested to see how you go with this lens and if you see value in paying so much more for the 2.8.

thanks AJ.
Mongo is still feeling his way around this lens -. its early days yet. It has a hell of a reputation and Mongo wants to see if it lives up to it.

As Mongo said, with the the 1.4 converter, the lens' performance is virtually indistinguishable from its performance with no converter. The 20EIII is good but not great with this lens. Interestingly, Mongo did some tests with this lens and 4 other types of X2 converters and a 16A nikon converter also. Mongo is currently busy digesting the results of the test on his computer screen as we speak. Mongo strongly suspects that the results will show that the 16A converter will perform as well as the 14 EII believe it or not. MORE IMPORTANTLY - at least 2 of the other X2 converters clearly outperformed the 20EIII !!!!!! This means, this lens may be capable of being used very acceptably at 600mm with the right X2 converter. So, far, the other X2 converters Mongo have used have all been manual converters. When he next sees Sar, he is going to try the Keno AF X2 converter and the nikon 17EII also and see how they perform.

At the end of all this, Mongo thinks his finding may be worth posting.

As to the question of weather it is worth thinking of the f2.8 or not over the f4, Mongo still thinks the 2.8 is noticeably superior in performance; particularly with X2 converter. Have yet to compare AF speeds and tracking abilities.
In fact, Mongo had come within a whisker of buying an f2.8 but lost out at the last minute bids. Just as well - The purpose for getting the f4 over the 2.8 is the weight and portability - that will always be a significant difference between these 2 lenses. The extra money for the 2.8 is also another story. Is it worth it for pure image quality ?? Mongo thinks probably, "yes". However, can the expense be justified is a whole other question. If you are a pro - yes, you should have and can justify the 2.8. If not, the f4 will probably satisfy our hobby needs. That is how it feels at present but maybe that might change as Mongo gets to know his new lens better. Will let you know.
Of course, if some lunatic is selling a 2.8 at a really good bargain price, don't be silly enough not to buy it - we will worry about how to get around the extra weight later !

A J Alderson
11-04-2013, 12:30am
I will wait with baited breath. :2sleep:

Enjoy

Cage
11-04-2013, 1:41pm
Mongo strongly suspects that the results will show that the 16A converter will perform as well as the 14 EII believe it or not.

You have me excited with that statement Mongo.

Like AJ, I'm waiting with baited (sic) breath.