PDA

View Full Version : Swansea

Mark L
07-04-2013, 8:01pm
Well, after years of suggesting that we spend some time at friends holiday place at Swansea my better half now thinks it's a good idea!! We're finally heading there tomorrow for "maybe" five days. :D
Friends are photogs and have given me a short list of interesting places to take photographs.

Any suggestions for good things or places for photos? Happy to drive a little if it's worth it.
Must go to Marks Point.:D

WhoDo
07-04-2013, 9:58pm
Ah, finally in my neck of the words, Mark! Try some of these for size:

1. Squids Ink, Belmont South, for sunset and larger water birds (pelicans, swans and cormorants).
2. Swansea foreshore at the end of Belmont Street ... along Lakeside Drive. More water birds, including waders, etc. if the tide is low enough.
3. Murray's Beach wharf for sunset. Good spot for a barbecue lunch, too.
4. Catherine Hill Bay near the coal wharf (low tide only ... watch out for the new wash away that is tearing down the beach).
5. Norah Head lighthouse.
6. Soldier's Point rock platform for sunrise, especially if the clouds cooperate.
7. Fraser Park, if you're interested in surfing action and a typical coastal reserve (National Park).
8. Nobby's Lighthouse and foreshore (only 30 mins from Swansea to city) - try a walk around the east end of town for historic buildings.
9. Swansea Bridge (if, like me, you get a little desperate)
10. Tiny park at the end of Marks Point road at sunset (if the council has mowed it, you're the first one there AND you have your Aeroguard on!).

Also Maitland's Steamfest is on next weekend. I'm planning to go for the rare photo ops, but bear in mind that it's a good 45-60 minute drive from Swansea depending on time of day and traffic. I'll PM you my mobile number if you want to catch up after normal business hours (some of us have to work for a living!) ;)

Michaelcuneo
12-04-2013, 12:14am
Glad I read this ... Steamfest this weekend, I almost forgot about it. Score! Thanks man. :)

WhoDo
12-04-2013, 5:35pm
Glad I read this ... Steamfest this weekend, I almost forgot about it. Score! Thanks man. :)

AND ... the Dungog rodeo on Saturday as well! Plenty of action to shoot this weekend. :p

Mark L
13-04-2013, 10:24pm

Bloody made our trip home slower. Wasn't game to suggest to to my better half that we stop for some photos.
Now Michael, you better post some photos of Steamfest. Otherwise I'll harass you for photo opportunities the next time we head your way.