PDA

View Full Version : Rechargeable Batteries and flashguns

Mathy
05-04-2013, 3:23am
Hi there APers :)

I was looking at buying some rechargeable batteries for my flashgun and the very helpful guy at Bunnings (whom I work with) pointed out that 4 x AA rechargeables add up to 4.8V @ 1.2V each vs 4 x alkaline AAs add up to 6V @ 1.5V each. Now I know a lot of people use rechargeables in their flashguns, does this voltage difference cause an issue? I have an SB 26 and I've just bought a Yongnuo 467-11. The only info I have for the Yongnou is that it can only accept only alkaline or NiMH batteries. Logic seems to dictate that NiMH are only rechargeables and examination of all of the rechargeable AAs that we sell, showed that they are 1.2V only. Is this likely to be ok? Thanks in advance, cheers Deb

MissionMan
05-04-2013, 7:07am
The 1.2V won't make a big difference. The key with rechargeable is to go for decent rechargeables like Sanyo Eneloop or Powerex Imedion. The big difference with these kinds of batteries if the amount of charge they lose on the shelf (i.e. in your bag). Normal rechargables lose about 1-5% per day, the decent ones lose 5-15% in a 12 month period. The big issue with this is you will often leave batteries in your bag for a couple of weeks and the last thing you want is to throw them in your flash and have them die after 5 minutes of use because they've gone flat.

I picked up mine from Protog who were pretty good but there are plenty of places that sell them so it shouldn't be hard to find. I'd also recommend a decent 8 bay charger if you have a couple of flashes.

macmich
05-04-2013, 7:28am
plus 1 for eneloops
cheers macca

Triz
05-04-2013, 7:50am
I bought a set of Varta rechargeable batteries from Bunnings probably 2 years ago. I have had no issues with them in my SB-900 and I haven't observed any noticeable difference in recycle times over the years.

Something important to note, fast recharging shortens the life of your batteries quickly. I got some multi charger with the batteries (car/wall/computer), and have mostly used it off a USB port as it is the lowest volts/amps and slowest at charging. You can get chargers that will have dedicated trickle charge settings though.

ricktas
05-04-2013, 9:24am
I have the maha stuff from protog and have never had an issue with it, great product : http://protog.com.au/battery-charger-bundles-c-85.html

Wayne
05-04-2013, 9:27am
I have the maha stuff from protog and have never had an issue with it, great product : http://protog.com.au/battery-charger-bundles-c-85.html

Yep, Maha Powerex and Imedions with the Maha dual rate charger. Protog are awesome to buy this stuff from.

Mathy
05-04-2013, 8:18pm
Thank you so much for your quick responses - goodness you're all up very early :D It was great, to be able to read your responses via the iPhone and make my decision.

I can't go past the 20% employee discount, so I'm going to go with the Vartas. They make a professional rechargeable range now in both AA and AAA, so having read your responses, I purchased batteries and chargers on my way out the door to go home.

Thanks again, you guys rock :th3:, cheers Deb

Speedway
22-04-2013, 6:39pm
The only differences you will find between good rechargeable and alkaline batteries is the recycle time is quicker with alkaline's and also you will get a lot more shots before they slow significantly.
Cheers
Keith.