PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Cokin X-Pro Filter holder?

Cage
04-04-2013, 8:59am
If so, I would like to ask a favour.

I wonder if you would mind measuring the inside diameter of the opening, without an adapter ring fitted.

Why?

I've just acquired a Samyang 14mm f2.8, and it doesn't have filter threads, so I'm looking at a DIY solution to use GND filters by attaching a cokin type holder to a spare lens cap.

When it stops raining I'll do some tests to see if vignetting will occur with my proposed holder.

Thanks in advance.

ricktas
04-04-2013, 9:25am
the internal diameter of the actual holder opening is about 93mm

Cage
04-04-2013, 9:34am
Many thanks for that Rick. :th3:

ricktas
04-04-2013, 9:40am
OOPS, mine is Z-Pro, not X-Pro. X-Pro is the 150 mm system. Z-Pro is the 100mm system (compatible with LEE).

Cage
04-04-2013, 9:52am
OOPS, mine is Z-Pro, not X-Pro. X-Pro is the 150 mm system. Z-Pro is the 100mm system (compatible with LEE).

Even better Rick.

The Z-Pro is more adaptable in that you can remove filter slots, and the 93mm opening is almost a perfect fit for what I want to do.

Thanks again.

Cage
04-04-2013, 11:26am
Well that little idea has been binned.

Anything more than about 4mm in front of the horizontal petals gets in the shot.

ricktas
04-04-2013, 11:30am
You could just do it the way I (and AK) often do. Place the camera on a tripod and just hold the filter up against the front of the lens with our fingers.

Rattus79
04-04-2013, 11:39am
Blutac works well too!

I've also seen a DIY job done using a sponge painted black for that Nikon 14mm job with the aspherical front element that doesn't fit filters either.

Hitech have a solution for it, but their filters do cast a little when compared to the Lee's

Cage
04-04-2013, 2:51pm
You could just do it the way I (and AK) often do. Place the camera on a tripod and just hold the filter up against the front of the lens with our fingers.

Tried that, but the 100mm filters are not wide enough, letting light in each side.

Will have to try and find a reasonably priced 150mm ND minus the grad and try it sideways.

I've actually seen a Samyang filter set-up on another forum but I've not seen it for sale anywhere.

I've emailed Samyang asking if it is available.

dulvariprestige
13-04-2013, 7:16pm
Kevin there's this one on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150774369799?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

There are also some DIY videos on youtube

Cage
13-04-2013, 8:45pm
Kevin there's this one on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150774369799?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

There are also some DIY videos on youtube

Many thanks for the link Jayde. If the Samyang has a similar hood diameter to the Nikon 14-24, it could be a strong possibility.

Cheers

Kevin

dulvariprestige
14-04-2013, 8:34am
I've been told they are, and that seller did say it would fit, but I'd double check first.

Analog6
14-04-2013, 8:54am
Blue tack. I have used it often. Experiment a bit and it pays to lay a towel on the ground in case it falls off but it does work. I know a few pros who use blu tack to attach filters.

Cage
14-04-2013, 10:19am
I've been told they are, and that seller did say it would fit, but I'd double check first.

I've just had another look at that link and they only seem to post to USA and Canada. Oceania is listed as an exclusion. Bummer !

- - - Updated - - -

Blue tack. I have used it often. Experiment a bit and it pays to lay a towel on the ground in case it falls off but it does work. I know a few pros who use blu tack to attach filters.

Thanks Odille. It may be the only solution, or I'll just have to make do with my 28mm for sunset/rises. The cost of a GND 150mm X 170mm is scary, and I need the 150mm width because the top and bottom petals on the hood forces the filter away from the lens. I've done a test with a 100mm filter, hand-held, and it is not wide enough, letting unfiltered light in on both sides. Bummer again !

arthurking83
14-04-2013, 10:40am
I know one day this issue will mess with my mind too, so I'm pre-prepping myself for it :D

Thanks Odille. It may be the only solution, or I'll just have to make do with my 28mm for sunset/rises. ......

Is there any reason you can't use bluetack or a DIY job just for now and crop out the impedance into the frame later, on the PC?

My widest option for the D800 for now is 28mm as well, but I regularly use the Siggy 10-20 on it, sometimes in Dx mode many times in Fx mode .. and when in Fx mode I just crop the image.
The maximum crop available is only a smidgin beyond the Dx frame in landscape mode, but I can crop much larger in portrait mode or in a square format.

I reckon do what you can now, and get what's possible whilst working on a long term solution.

Cage
14-04-2013, 5:22pm
Cheers Arthur.

I'm a little reluctant to use blutac to attach a rather expensive filter. The only ones that seem to make the 150mm x 170mm are Lee, Singh Ray and maybe Hitech, none of them exactly cheap.

I haven't given up on a DIY solution, in fact I'm currently assessing plan G, or maybe it's H. :confused013

The crop route ultimately won't give me all that much more FOV than the 28mm f1.8, and that is a lens I'm really happy with.

So far I'm delighted with the potential of the 'Yang 14mm, and feel that when I learn it's foibles it will be a great tool.

Cheers

Kevin

dulvariprestige
31-05-2013, 9:14pm
Kevin did you end up sorting out your filter system?