PDA

View Full Version : Protog light stand kits

wideangle
03-04-2013, 1:44pm
I was looking at the website protog and was wondering if anyone has brought lightstands from them before? I don't want something that's cheaply built and flimsy. It has to stand up to outdoor use and a bit of wind. Has anyone had any experience with these models? http://protog.com.au/22m-light-stand-43-umbrella-diffuser-metal-flash-mount-kit-p-673.html

ricktas
03-04-2013, 1:57pm
why not email Jeff at Protog and ask him about the sturdiness of them, with details of what you want and he might be able to recommend a very suitable stand for your needs?

Wayne
03-04-2013, 2:02pm
I have bought from the on a number of occasions. They are great guys to deal with. I bought some of my first light stands from them and they were cheap, nasty, Chinese junk but they were not the same ones mentioned above. When I look at the specs of what you have posted, it is a lightweight light duty stand, and it will not stand up to wind with an umbrella on it.

indoor use it will be fine.

wideangle
03-04-2013, 3:13pm
why not email Jeff at Protog and ask him about the sturdiness of them, with details of what you want and he might be able to recommend a very suitable stand for your needs?

Thanks, I was also wanting to see if other members had experiences with them first hand.

EB Alex
03-04-2013, 4:04pm
Yeah I have a pair of these same light stands. They seem to be a quality item, well built, nice and light. However I would agree they are not really built to take umbrellas and large soft boxes. When I am using them with my soft boxes I like to throw a few sandbags on the legs to keep them sturdier. Even still, it gets a bit scary when the wind comes along.

So I would recommend them if you are working with direct flash or small soft boxes/umbrellas. For anything large or if you think you might use them in windy situations a lot then go for something bigger.

Alex

wideangle
03-04-2013, 9:49pm
Thanks for your input. Might have to look into some more sturdy ones, any suggestions?

Wayne
04-04-2013, 8:42am
Excellent medium duty stands, built to last, tall and can take most modifiers with little to no sandbagging unless quite windy.

Avenger A0040B, I have 4 of them in the studio and they work very well on location. Don't try and buy them in Australia though, you will pay double. Just import them yourself from the USA.