PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a professional

Miss Jane
02-04-2013, 1:10pm
At what stage do you consider yourself a professional photographer?
Is it when you can sell your photos to the public, when potential customers come looking for you, when you register a business name etc? Just after other photographers experiences.
I don't consider myself a pro but am wondering if the progression/advancement of your photography skills naturally leads you to this?

ricktas
02-04-2013, 1:14pm
For me it is when you make enough money, on a regular basis, that it becomes a major part of your income stream. Anyone can sell a few photos every now and then, but to do it successfully week in-week out, to me means you are a professional, cause then it is about your photography, your product, your marketing, your business acumen, your approach, your 'image', your skills, your ability..which all add up to your professionalism.

Miss Jane
02-04-2013, 10:33pm
Thanks for the reply ricktas. My tax lady said not to bother with tax return stuff until the turnover get to the min for small business which is something like $22k. She said to keep it as a hobby. I said it would never get to that status...but you never know where your photography will take you. I'm still a very long way off in that respect but amazed how far I've come in 12 months without really marketing.

AVALANCHE
02-04-2013, 10:48pm
I'd consider a professional level to be when your earnings from Photography is your Primary source of income.

achee
03-04-2013, 9:04pm
I'd agree with what has been said above. It's often implied that a 'professional photographer' is a significantly better photographer than an amateur photographer, but that isn't necessarily the case.