PDA

View Full Version : Warning... Telstra has just adjusted your mobile phone time.....

Cage
02-04-2013, 12:03pm
Applies to NSW DST

........and only five days early for the end of DST this time ! :angry0:

Usually they are about a month late. :umm:

Scary isn't it that our largest communications provider doesn't even know what the time is.:scrtch:

ricktas
02-04-2013, 12:24pm
I am with Telstra and mine is fine???

Cage
02-04-2013, 12:40pm
Is Tasmania still part of Australia? I thought Jo Bejerky Peanuts had given you the flick

Sorry, I should have nominated NSW DST.

Warus
02-04-2013, 1:19pm
I'm in NSW and my phones are fine.

ricktas
02-04-2013, 1:25pm
Perhaps you should have nominated Hunter Valley, NSW? or just your street, or even just your address, or perhaps just your phone... :lol:

Cage
02-04-2013, 1:25pm
I'm in NSW and my phones are fine.

Are you with Telstra?

I got a message about 10.30am saying my phone had been adjusted for the end of Daylight Savings. It now says the time is 12.24pm and it is actually 1.24pm, I think?

I @ M
02-04-2013, 1:28pm
It now says the time is 12.24pm and it is actually 1.24pm, I think?

Kevin, you need to get a 4 stroke lawn mower, the 2 stroke fumes are doing something funny to you.

It is 2.24 here in Vic, just like the rest of Australia. :)

Warus
Yes Telstra. I have several hundred mobile phones across most of Western NSW and so far I haven't had any report of issues. All the ones here in sight are fine too so far.

Cage
Perhaps you should have nominated Hunter Valley, NSW? or just your street, or even just your address, or perhaps just your phone... :lol:

I made the post as a warning to those who may use their phone as an alarm, for meetings, or to wake them up.

To be honest, I don't know why I bothered.

mpb
02-04-2013, 1:42pm
Perhaps you should have advised some of the other states what year it is first, some are a few years behind.

:oops: that just slipped out.

Steve Axford
02-04-2013, 1:45pm
It can happen if you go near to the Queensland border. Your phone then goes back 1 hr and 50 years. :D

Kym
02-04-2013, 1:46pm
It maybe the software on your phone is not up to date and has an incorrect timezone configuration?

I.e. it may not be Telstra's fault (and how I hate writing that)!

ricktas
02-04-2013, 1:54pm
I made the post as a warning to those who may use their phone as an alarm, for meetings, or to wake them up.

To be honest, I don't know why I bothered.

Maybe it is a particular phone make and model?

Funny how you happily had a go at Tasmania (jokingly) and when I replied with similar about your area, you appear to be annoyed?

Cage
02-04-2013, 3:03pm
It maybe the software on your phone is not up to date and has an incorrect timezone configuration?

I.e. it may not be Telstra's fault (and how I hate writing that)!

Thanks for that Kym.

It is a Motorola RAZR V3xx and I've had it for about four years. The only problem I've had is the time adjustment for DST twice a year since I've had it, usually about one month late.

The message I received said that Telstra has adjusted your time for daylight savings, and I'm assuming that Telstra would be the only entity that could make adjustments to my phone, so I'm thinking the adjustment had to come from them.

Anyway it doesn't matter. I'll just leave it how it is, and it will be fine again at 3am next Sunday.

Allie
02-04-2013, 3:10pm
Thanks for being thoughtful TruBlu! :love4:

Cage
02-04-2013, 5:48pm
Thanks for being thoughtful TruBlu! :love4:

And thank you for your perceptiveness Allie. And back at ya........:love4: (Hope 'Allie' is not short for Alec :o)

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe it is a particular phone make and model?

Funny how you happily had a go at Tasmania (jokingly) and when I replied with similar about your area, you appear to be annoyed?

Not at all annoyed Rick......:lol2: I'm well aware that I live in a technology black hole.

It would seem from reading Kym's post that the time adjustments may be pre-programmed into the phones software before shipment, and if so somebody at Motorola has stuffed up.

I only wanted to warn people that their phone time may be an hour behind.

arthurking83
02-04-2013, 6:02pm
....... time adjustments may be pre-programmed into the phones software before shipment, and if so somebody at Motorola has stuffed up.

Not necesselery a Motorola stuff up.
(Well actually it is, if they haven't allowed a method to manually input the start finish dates for DST in the device!)

It's more likely to be an Aus governmental stuff up.

Years ago, they changed DST start/finish dates to use the first Sunday in April/first Sunday in October system .. ie. 6 months of DST.

Prior to that I think we may have had three different start finish dates for some of the various states.(can't really remember now)
Some old devices, no longer supported haven't had the firmware updated to reflect these changes over the past few years.

Check to see if there hasn't been an updated firmware for your phone.

If there is no way to manually configure DST dates, then the only option for accurateness in DST dates is to turn off auto adjustment and do it manually.

Cage
02-04-2013, 6:23pm
Thanks Artie.

Yes, I have my phone programmed to automatically update DST changes.

Rather than muck around with firmware updates, I'll just de-activate it.

I'm confused as to where today's wind-back came from. The last 2nd April wind-back was 2006, and the next is 2017.

I @ M
02-04-2013, 6:27pm
Yes, I have my phone programmed to automatically update DST changes.

Wouldn't it be nice, should be very simple as well, if camera makers could enable such a thing.

Not just daylight savings, for travelling photographers passing through differing time zones either nationally or internationally, another thing less to think about.

Cage
02-04-2013, 6:33pm
We already have it.

I think it's called the iPhone. :lol2:

ameerat42
02-04-2013, 7:03pm
It must be a new - and improved - "service" T some users have had bestowed on them. On the bright side, you can set it back and say that you went an hour into the future (???:rolleyes:)

Cage
02-04-2013, 8:34pm
It must be a new - and improved - "service" T some users have had bestowed on them. On the bright side, you can set it back and say that you went an hour into the future (???:rolleyes:)

Then I could be like Yossarian in Catch 22 and say that 'I see everything twice"

ameerat42
02-04-2013, 8:41pm
Well, I guess An Elliot Ness Cafe would sell confiscated bootleg liquor out the back, but a Milo Minderbinder(???)... Well, just add yours to the list, Kevin.
:Dm.

wanderer51
02-04-2013, 9:29pm
The message I received said that Telstra has adjusted your time for daylight savings, and I'm assuming that Telstra would be the only entity that could make adjustments to my phone, so I'm thinking the adjustment had to come from them.

I have been with Telstra for over 10 years and I have never received a message from them saying that they were adjusting the time on my phone, nor have I ever heard of anyone else getting a similar message. I was under the impression that mobiles received their time signals from the mobile towers. My phone automatically adjusts it's time whether it be the start/end of Daylight Saving, or I travel interstate (eg: SA, WA, QLD)
I wonder if this 'message' is some kind of mobile phone 'virus'?

Speedway
02-04-2013, 11:25pm
I also have never received a message re the time adjustment for daylight saving and I have been with telstra for the last 11 years (not by choice though). My phone automaticly changes time zones between Vic. and SA at least 4 times a week and has done so with the last 4 phones I have had.
Cheers
Keith.

arthurking83
03-04-2013, 9:49am
Wouldn't it be nice, should be very simple as well, if camera makers could enable such a thing.

Not just daylight savings, for travelling photographers passing through differing time zones either nationally or internationally, another thing less to think about.

GPS!!! :D

on the two GPS capable cameras I have, there is a setting to enable/disable the GPS connected to adjust the clock on the camera.

Not exactly what you describe with what you're after, but the problem is that to effect what you describe, the camera must know where it actually is for it to be able to make this adjustment.

DST adjustment is easy if the firmware is written correctly, and the manufacturer has this programming set up, but as various regions make changes to their local DST settings this then forces the manufacturer to issue new firmwares as those regions change their DST setups.

As for the camera to autmagically alter time on the device based on location/timezones, the only possible way to do this is to have an inbuilt GPS .. which of course needs to be on all the time, which then drains battery life in quick time.

I prefer the external GPS solution to an inbuilt one .. but this would be made much easier if the manufacturers added bluetooth to the device for easier connection to such external devices.

Allie
03-04-2013, 9:58am
And thank you for your perceptiveness Allie. And back at ya........:love4: (Hope 'Allie' is not short for Alec :o)

I'm female - "not that there is anything wrong with that" if I wasn't .:)

Cage
03-04-2013, 10:31am
I'm female - "not that there is anything wrong with that" if I wasn't .:)

Allie, maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, :confused013 , but I'd much rather plant a kiss on a female cheek than a whiskery male one. :eek:

Allie
03-04-2013, 10:42am
I kissed you first Kevin! :D

I @ M
03-04-2013, 11:16am
Allie, maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, :confused013 , but I'd much rather plant a kiss on a female cheek than a whiskery male one. :eek:

Oh my ----- get a room will yas please. :eek:

This is a family oriented forum remember. :D

- - - Updated - - -

GPS!!! :D

on the two GPS capable cameras I have, there is a setting to enable/disable the GPS connected to adjust the clock on the camera.

Not exactly what you describe with what you're after, but the problem is that to effect what you describe, the camera must know where it actually is for it to be able to make this adjustment.

DST adjustment is easy if the firmware is written correctly, and the manufacturer has this programming set up, but as various regions make changes to their local DST settings this then forces the manufacturer to issue new firmwares as those regions change their DST setups.

As for the camera to autmagically alter time on the device based on location/timezones, the only possible way to do this is to have an inbuilt GPS .. which of course needs to be on all the time, which then drains battery life in quick time.

I prefer the external GPS solution to an inbuilt one .. but this would be made much easier if the manufacturers added bluetooth to the device for easier connection to such external devices.

I think you are thinking old fashioned thoughts Arthur, what I reckon is the true answer is ----- Most people have some form of mobile phone on them, especially when travelling. Now those phones are smart enough to change the time as they pick up signals from towers in their range ( my $120.00 dumb phone does ) so why can't we have a phone that is enabled to broadcast to a "paired" device such as your camera when it is on and in close proximity to the phone to tell the camera to update the time settings. That way there would be no need for excessive battery drain running a gps as the phone and camera would only have to talk to each other briefly every time the camera was turned on.

Cage
03-04-2013, 11:50am

Allie, I didn't think you were the sort of girl who would 'kiss 'n' tell'. :shh: :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my ----- get a room will yas please. :eek:

This is a family oriented forum remember. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Spoilsport! :lol2::2tongu::action5:

- - - Updated - - -

Now, getting back to the thread, I've just been on the phone to both Telstra and Motorola.

Telstra said yes, they do initiate the signal to change the time.

Motorola told me to turn off the DST updates and turn it back on again on Sunday. :confused013

In the four years I've had the phone not once has the DST update been done on time, usually about a month later.

There is possibly a gliche in my phones software, but that time wind-back I got yesterday had to have originated from somewhere.

As I said above, I've turned off the auto update and will just do it manually.

Thank you all for your mostly helpful (?) suggestions. Oh, and I also loved reading the less than helpful ones too. That's what makes this forum such a great one. :th3:

Kym
03-04-2013, 1:22pm
One of the items we have to maintain on the AP server is the Timezone file (via an automatic patch).
It controls all of the TZs.

The server is set on AEST/AEDT and your user profile can be set to your local TZ, the software adjusts all the posts to your TZ

Granville
03-04-2013, 2:03pm

Would be nice. Would require a connection to a telco though. If you had a GPS chip or module your camera could receive GMT but it would still need to know what time zone it was in.

arthurking83
03-04-2013, 6:22pm
...... If you had a GPS chip or module your camera could receive GMT but it would still need to know what time zone it was in.

It knows this because it's a GPS device ... which by default are all location based devices :p

Warbler
03-04-2013, 7:30pm

No you don't want to do that. I've just finished fixing a mate's photos so they could be synchronised to his GPS tracks. Put your camera in GMT if you want to geo-tag and leave it there.

arthurking83
07-04-2013, 1:33pm
....... Put your camera in GMT if you want to geo-tag and leave it there.

LOL! Andrew has very little time for geotagging images.
I'm pretty sure he neither cares for it, nor does he know of the term geo tag! :p

I, on the other hand ..... ;)