PDA

View Full Version : Tas Trip - July

Sarge
27-03-2013, 1:59pm
Hey Guys,

I have a trip to Tassie planned for two or so weeks during July (Winter time) so excited to say the least. Have been planning this for a few months now, but just need some clarification on a few things and maybe a few tips on things. I will be staying with a friend for a week, then will be hiring a car for another week or so and driving to some popular locations, including:

~ Derwent Valley, Mount Field National Park - Tasmanian Snow Gum
~ Binnalong Bay, Bay Of Fires - Famous Lone Tree
~ Cradle Mountain – Classic Shot
~ St Columba Falls/Russel Falls/Liffey Falls
~ Mount Wellington - Sunrise/view
~ Hobart Franklin Wharf – Boats + Reflections
~ Tessellated Pavement - Sunrise
~ Bluestone Bay - Sunrise/sunset
~ Richmond Bridge

I know it's going to be cold (very cold) so will be buying a good goose down jacket + waterproof jacket to go over that, waterproof pants and some hiking boots + a beanie and gloves. So, I reckon I'm set for the cold weather which I have a good chance of being greeted by! However, I am planning on photographing a few waterfalls and keen to get my feet wet while doing so, so I wanted to know from people who have done this before. Do you wear your boots in the stream/reef shoes/barefoot? I can't really see the sense of getting boots wet if your have to walk back to the car but then I guess your feet are gonna get cold! :confused013

I also plan to get to Cradle Mountain for that classic shot. Planning on staying somewhere close by so I don't have to get up too early. I've read somewhere that only a few cars are allowed in during the day? I was planning on driving in early morning so will I be able to do so, will their be gates that are locked? Going to buy a holiday national parks pass allowing entry into all national parks too.

As there is a high chance of rainy weather, I though perhaps a rain-cover/plastic bag for the lens and camera might be a good idea. ..

Have I missed anything else? Would love to hear any ideas/tips you have, other locations to see etc. I am keen to photograph some of the local wildlife (wallabies and wombats) but don't know of too many places to go to do this... Planning on focusing my attention on seascape/landscape/wildlife photography.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

harper
27-03-2013, 2:36pm
i got into cradle mountain for sunrise

just make sure you have a national park pass before you head in

Sarge
27-03-2013, 3:03pm
Good to know, thankyou! Will definitely be getting a NP pass, that was also recommended by a friend of mine.

Warus
27-03-2013, 3:06pm
They only limit traffic at peak times and I doubt winter is one. Living in a colder area of Aus for sometime it makes me giggle when those from warmer climates pack for Antarctica. Maybe throw in some gum boots or waders if you want to get in the water. Russell falls has an elevated platform with railings around it you aren't supposed to get off but I haven't been to the other falls so not sure of the restrictions there.

ricktas
27-03-2013, 8:51pm
You could do Mt Wellington sunrise/sunset, Mt Field, Hobart waterfront and Richmond bridge all in one day. In July the issue will be access, if it snows the mountain might be closed and the same can happen for Mt Field.

If you want to photograph Wombats then a trip to Narawntapu National Park (http://www.discovertasmania.com/activities__and__attractions/wilderness_areas/national_parks_and_reserves/narawntapu_national_park) is the way to go

Sarge
28-03-2013, 11:02am
Living in a colder area of Aus for sometime it makes me giggle when those from warmer climates pack for Antarctica. :D I guess that's fair, I'm quite used to the nice warm weather here in W.A!

That will be a bit of a bummer if your only allowed to shoot from the platform. I was hoping to explore downstream/upstream to look for some different angles. It's understandable that they don't want everyone tramping all over the place. Hadn't thought about gumboots, thanks for the idea!

You could do Mt Wellington sunrise/sunset, Mt Field, Hobart waterfront and Richmond bridge all in one day. In July the issue will be access, if it snows the mountain might be closed and the same can happen for Mt Field.

If you want to photograph Wombats then a trip to Narawntapu National Park (http://www.discovertasmania.com/activities__and__attractions/wilderness_areas/national_parks_and_reserves/narawntapu_national_park) is the way to go

Rick, thanks for the idea about doing all those locations in one day! I hadn't thought about actually planning where to go on which day or combining locations in one day. That would be great though!

Appreciate the tip about access too, which I also hadn't thought about. Narawntapu NP looks right up my alley too, so will definitely be making a long stop there!

Cheers guys,

Warus
28-03-2013, 12:06pm
I had a run in with a wombat outside the pub bit of the Cradle Mountain lodge. It wanted to walk down the path I was on and didn't give a stuff I was in the way so it walked straight into me. I'm reasonably sure it was a wombat and that it hit me not me it although I did have a few Cascades on board.

I based myself in Hobart to do Mt Field (Russell falls), The Tahune tree walk, Hastings caves and right up the coast to Port Arthur and Richmond. Tassie is tiny so pretty much this whole region is day trips out of Hobart.

Sarge
28-03-2013, 12:22pm
Ha, had a laugh at the story! :D

Looked up the Tahune Tree Walk and it reminded me of the one down here in the Southwest forests. Might check it out though as I love those kind of things.

mechawombat
28-03-2013, 10:06pm
If you have time after Mt field why not pop down to Styx valley?

Sarge
28-03-2013, 10:33pm
If you have time after Mt field why not pop down to Styx valley?

Why not! Thanks for the idea, looks like a beautiful place to spend some time exploring!

mechawombat
29-03-2013, 12:05pm
It is! Last time I was there I was the only person there for hours. Very awe inspiring.

Sarge
29-03-2013, 12:44pm
It is! Last time I was there I was the only person there for hours. Very awe inspiring.

Those are some of the best moments aren't they!

Just found this on the Tas PWS site under Russel Falls - "At night time glow worms can be seen among the vegetation on the approach to the falls, however, you will need to turn torches off." Sounds unusual!

Can anyone recommend any good maps for the whole of Tas or for the popular locations?

ian66
06-05-2013, 9:38am
Hey Guys,

I have a trip to Tassie planned for two or so weeks during July (Winter time) so excited to say the least. Have been planning this for a few months now, but just need some clarification on a few things and maybe a few tips on things. I will be staying with a friend for a week, then will be hiring a car for another week or so and driving to some popular locations, including:

~ Richmond Bridge

I know it's going to be cold (very cold) so will be buying a good goose down jacket + waterproof jacket to go over that, waterproof pants and some hiking boots + a beanie and gloves. So, I reckon I'm set for the cold weather which I have a good chance of being greeted by! However, I am planning on photographing a few waterfalls and keen to get my feet wet while doing so, so I wanted to know from people who have done this before. Do you wear your boots in the stream/reef shoes/barefoot? I can't really see the sense of getting boots wet if your have to walk back to the car but then I guess your feet are gonna get cold! :confused013

I also plan to get to Cradle Mountain for that classic shot. Planning on staying somewhere close by so I don't have to get up too early. I've read somewhere that only a few cars are allowed in during the day? I was planning on driving in early morning so will I be able to do so, will their be gates that are locked? Going to buy a holiday national parks pass allowing entry into all national parks too.

As there is a high chance of rainy weather, I though perhaps a rain-cover/plastic bag for the lens and camera might be a good idea. ..

Have I missed anything else? Would love to hear any ideas/tips you have, other locations to see etc. I am keen to photograph some of the local wildlife (wallabies and wombats) but don't know of too many places to go to do this... Planning on focusing my attention on seascape/landscape/wildlife photography.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Guys,

~ Richmond Bridge

Thanks in advance,
Tim

- - - Updated - - -

If you get a chance why not visit the North West, the South Arthur Forest Drive is quite spectacular and can be easily done in a day from either Smithton or Stanley. You cross over the Kanunna Bridge on the Arthur River on to the Sumac Lookout then the Julius River Forest Reserve, Lake Chisholm Reserve and finally the Milkshakes Hills Forest Reserve - lots of ancient Myrtle Forests easily accessible and Sink Holes full of frogs. Also the Mouth of the Arthur River on the West Coast has some dramatic Seascapes.

stevo01
06-05-2013, 8:54pm
Hey Guys,

They basically close the road in for cars once the car park at Dove Lake is full, if you are getting there before sunrise you shouldn't have any problems, I think there are maybe about 30 car parks? We drove there and arrived about 45 mins before sunrise and there was only one other car there. You will need to have your parks pass before you go there as obviously the office won't be open but the road in has a boom gate which opens automatically once you pull up to it (unless of course they have closed the park for some reason).

Sarge
08-05-2013, 2:21pm
If you get a chance why not visit the North West, the South Arthur Forest Drive is quite spectacular and can be easily done in a day from either Smithton or Stanley. You cross over the Kanunna Bridge on the Arthur River on to the Sumac Lookout then the Julius River Forest Reserve, Lake Chisholm Reserve and finally the Milkshakes Hills Forest Reserve - lots of ancient Myrtle Forests easily accessible and Sink Holes full of frogs. Also the Mouth of the Arthur River on the West Coast has some dramatic Seascapes.

Sounds good Ian, thanks for letting me know about it! I am actually thinking of changing my plans for this trip now due to funds. I am now thinking of making a quick 1-2 week visit in July for non-photographic purposes and then next January, possibly driving my Forester over and making a good photographic trip of it all. I can see quite a few advantages of doing it this way:

1. I get to travel and see a bit of Australia on the way there and on the way back
2. The money I won't be spending on flights and hiring a car there will be used paying for fuel and of course, being able to drive my car to places where a hire car wouldn't allow me to drive to. I will also be able to sleep in the back of the car which wouldn't have been possible in the tiny car I was thinking of hiring.
3. Get to take more gear like my MTB and fishing gear

They basically close the road in for cars once the car park at Dove Lake is full, if you are getting there before sunrise you shouldn't have any problems, I think there are maybe about 30 car parks? We drove there and arrived about 45 mins before sunrise and there was only one other car there. You will need to have your parks pass before you go there as obviously the office won't be open but the road in has a boom gate which opens automatically once you pull up to it (unless of course they have closed the park for some reason).

Steve, this is exactly the type of helpful information I was after, so I'm not surprised at something when I get to a location! Have actually been looking at your photos from over there, always good to see images of the places you plan to go!

crum
26-06-2013, 11:17am
If the carpark is full and you can't drive in there are shuttle buses which run all day from the visitors centre

ShutterandBrew
26-06-2013, 3:31pm
Hi, when you are at Russell Falls make sure you also take the short walk up behind the falls to Horseshoe falls. I found these were better to shoot given the amount of water I had to play with, they're not as tall but I preferred them. The Tahune tree/airwalk is pretty awesome and i found it worth the drive.

Probably my biggest piece of advice, and this applies anywhere you travel.....Plan your shots. Make a list of shots/areas you really want, work out time of day that will be best and also consider rain. There will be some spots that rain will not cause much of an issue like Mt Field, overcast would be better than full sun so if your literary is flexible then wait for the night prior before deciding on the next days adventure. Another factor when dealing with water especially the ocean is tides, I have been fortunate to be at the Tesselated Pavement at low tide so I don't know if it gets covered at high tide or not.

Also in some parts of the state there are great photos waiting to be taken but no where to pull over in the car, this can be a pain but a short walk back once you do find a spot is mostly worth it.

If you are planning on being out early/late make sure you take a headlamp, saved a few trips/broken bones when I've been caught out in the dark.

If you are on facebook then 'like' Discover Tasmania page, there have been some great shots posted recently which may inspire, in particular a few that show well shot locations from different angles. Although Tassie is small the trip from Hobart to Cradle Mt will take a while so be sure to factor that in.

For lightweight wet area footwear try some 'reef' boots, the ones made from wet suit material with rubber sole, waders would be the best option cause you can wear your thermals under them but are bulky.

ameerat42
26-06-2013, 4:01pm
i got into cradle mountain for sunrise

just make sure you have a national park pass before you head in

Best advice we got, too! They're good for almost everywhere (and it runs out m-u-u-ch cheaper than buying a pass for everywhere).
Am.

Oh, and on your way to/from St Columba's Falls. DO stop by the Pyengana Cheese factory. Then DON'T forget to leave again.

Sarge
27-06-2013, 3:00pm
Hi, when you are at Russell Falls make sure you also take the short walk up behind the falls to Horseshoe falls. I found these were better to shoot given the amount of water I had to play with, they're not as tall but I preferred them. The Tahune tree/airwalk is pretty awesome and i found it worth the drive.

Probably my biggest piece of advice, and this applies anywhere you travel.....Plan your shots. Make a list of shots/areas you really want, work out time of day that will be best and also consider rain. There will be some spots that rain will not cause much of an issue like Mt Field, overcast would be better than full sun so if your literary is flexible then wait for the night prior before deciding on the next days adventure. Another factor when dealing with water especially the ocean is tides, I have been fortunate to be at the Tesselated Pavement at low tide so I don't know if it gets covered at high tide or not.

Also in some parts of the state there are great photos waiting to be taken but no where to pull over in the car, this can be a pain but a short walk back once you do find a spot is mostly worth it.

If you are planning on being out early/late make sure you take a headlamp, saved a few trips/broken bones when I've been caught out in the dark.

If you are on facebook then 'like' Discover Tasmania page, there have been some great shots posted recently which may inspire, in particular a few that show well shot locations from different angles. Although Tassie is small the trip from Hobart to Cradle Mt will take a while so be sure to factor that in.

For lightweight wet area footwear try some 'reef' boots, the ones made from wet suit material with rubber sole, waders would be the best option cause you can wear your thermals under them but are bulky.

Thanks for all the info SB, very handy!

I have already made a list of images I want and yes, also planned when to go based on the weather. Thanks for the reminder of the tides, will keep that in mind.

Headlight and flashlight already on my list, both useful! Also have some reef shoes so will definitely take them.

Thanks again for your advice. :th3: Slowly getting the car up to standards to drive across, fitted some lights and a lightbar to help with the night driving, so all set in that regard. Also planning on stopping to camp at the Twelve Apostles grab a picture or two.

ricktas
27-06-2013, 4:03pm
just also be aware that places like Russell Falls and Horseshoe falls now have boardwalks and fencing, you are constrained inside those, so compositions can suffer. If the rangers (and they wander up and down the boardwalks) find you outside them, you get fined.

ktoopi
27-06-2013, 6:39pm
Reading this thread with interest as I am heading back to Tassie in Dec/Jan as my hubby is in Sydney to Hobart again! We are touring the west coast this time while we are there ( did the east coast last time):)