PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight tripod for traveling/hiking

Miyuki
22-03-2013, 10:16am
Hi everyone!
Another tripod topic here...sorry!

My holiday's coming up, and I am looking into a new tripod.
I currently use a Vanguard alta pro 263 at with gh 100 pistol grip ball head, which were recommended by a shop assistant when I started learning photography.
Although I love my Vanguard tripod, this thing is so heavy and tall to carry around, especially if air flights and/or hiking are involved.

My next step would be a carbon fiber tripod. I'd like a compact and lightweight tripod...my current one is around 60cm folded with the head, so anything around 45cm would be nice. Price range is undecided, but Gitzo is out of my price range. I am ok with the price range of Benro or Manfrotto carbon series:) thanks heaps!

Steve Axford
22-03-2013, 10:58am
Have a look at the Gitzo Basalt range. They are lighter than the CF and cheaper too, though probably not as stable. For travel I use one with a manfrotto ball head. The whole thing weighs a bit over 1kg which is great and it is plenty stable enough for most things. I use a Gitzo CF tripod at home, but it is much heavier and with a good ball head it weighs 2-3kg.

Miyuki
23-03-2013, 9:14pm
Have a look at the Gitzo Basalt range. They are lighter than the CF and cheaper too, though probably not as stable. For travel I use one with a manfrotto ball head. The whole thing weighs a bit over 1kg which is great and it is plenty stable enough for most things. I use a Gitzo CF tripod at home, but it is much heavier and with a good ball head it weighs 2-3kg.

Thanks for your comment Steve :)
I had a look at the Gitzo website, and their basalt range does look pretty good. Are they stable enough to do super long exposures (night views)?

znelbok
25-03-2013, 8:27pm
I am also int he market for a tripod and the Benro Travel Angel Ii looks th be the one I will go for.

They are Carbon fibre and one of the legs is removable to use as a walking stick or a monopod.

There are quote a few in the range, with either four or five segment legs. Reviews indicate that 5 segment legs can tend to be a little flimsy so pay attention to the diameter of the smallest extension.

That's about all I know at the moment

Mick

Miyuki
25-03-2013, 11:25pm
I looked up Benro travel angel series too Mick! They are lightweight and pretty compact.

I'm now deciding between Benro and Gitzo Basalt...it really comes down to the price now.

mikec
25-03-2013, 11:43pm
I've got the Benro and for the price it is a steal!

Steve Axford
26-03-2013, 8:25am
The gitzo is stable enough for long exposures. A light weight tripod will never be quite as solid as a heavy one but it is a really good tripod.

Jcas
27-03-2013, 9:49am
My choice would be the Gitzo, i purchased a Benro CF a couple of years ago, it had the screw type legs but i could never stop the legs from creeping , just couldn't seem to get it tight enough.