PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in Cairns +?

FNQPhotographer
18-03-2013, 9:51am
Not sure if I post in this thread because it's not exactly a meet up although I wouldn't mind meeting up or planning a get together with some Cairns photogs some weekend.

I'm looking for more places to explore. Am wondering if I've exhausted my choices. Here's where I have been...

Port Douglas and all beaches inbetween
Cape Tribulation
Mossman
Mareeba
Atherton
Milla Milla - walkway
Paronella Park - haven't been at night yet
Cairns and Southward as far as Innisfail, I think a bit further.
Babinda Boulders/Falls
The Beach (name escapes me)
Botanical Gardens in Cairns a few times
Zoo (once but would like to go again)
Kuranda (once) - Butterfly, Koala sanctuary
The Barron Falls
All (I think) waterfalls up on the tablelands, I think it's called the waterfall circuit? There are like 5 or 6?
Been as far as Cobbold Gorge. THAT is incredible.
Been to the Undara Lava Tubes... very cool but not as awesome as the Gorge.

Most of those require cash or a day or two of travelling but anything within a 50km range of Cairns or Gordonvale is ideal for me at the moment.

So are there any places to go that I've missed?
Also if there's anyone who wants to revisit or hang out at the esplanade some weekend but wants someone to go with.... **raising hand** I'm keen.

Cheers!!

*~Min~*
22-03-2013, 8:28pm
Hey, I'm familiar with more the tablelands area (lived past Mareeba for half my life) so may have a couple more suggestions. These may be a little obvious, but worth mentioning:

Tinaroo Dam (and surrounding rivers e.g. kauri creek)
Lake Barrine
Chillagoe Caves
Also near Mareeba - Emerald Creek & falls - absolutely beautiful scenery there in my opinion

I've heard Kuranda has this new bug place if you're in for some macro photography. Haven't been there yet myself but rumour has it that David Attenborough will be lending his voice for a documentary on that place. It's called "minibeast wildlife" so may be worth checking out.

You've given me some great ideas also, so thank you :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and one more, while I'm thinking of it - the windmills near Ravenshoe are quite lovely to look at. Might be worth going back to Millaa Millaa to look at some of the lookouts or the waterfalls again on that same day (just so it's not so much driving for one scene).

FNQPhotographer
23-03-2013, 11:14am
Thanks for those...
Nearly fuggut about the windmills... been there. Awesome! Been to Millaa Millaa but it's been so long I'll have to revisit.
Chillagoe Caves and Tinaroo are on my list, just waiting for the right time. LOL

I'll have to look up Kuranda again and check it out. Been there a few times but not in the past 6 months so that's definitley something to check into.

Bramston Beach was the place I was thinking of... past Fishery Falls heading North. Been there a few times as well. Peaceful....