PDA

View Full Version : Question about dig tv

pjs2
17-03-2013, 10:20pm
Just a quick question about digital TV here in brizzy. I live in Beenleigh and have been having trouble with all of the channel two stations and sometimes the channel ten stations. With the ABC stations I sometimes get a no signal message on my TV. If not that just massive pixilation’s. I have a small TV upstairs that I can change between analogue and dig and can get the analogue when I can’t get dig downstairs. Annoyingly it doesn’t happen all the time but is most of the time. Is anybody else having the same problem here in Brissy?

ricktas
18-03-2013, 6:47am
does the small tv upstairs suffer the same thing when on digital?

It could be your wiring to your antenna. I had the same issue a couple of years ago and discovered rats/mice had chewed a bit of the plastic insulation around the coax cabling, under the house. Went to Bunnings, bought 25 metres of coax, re-wired from the antenna to the mounting plate in both rooms and perfect picture since.

My issues only affected 7 network channels ( I think it is only seen on the weakest signal channels in your area, as they are mine), all the other channels could deal with a bit of chewed cable, cause their signal was stronger.

You can also get signal boosters, from places like Dick Smith's that plug into a power point and then your antenna cable goes in and out of that, to boost the signal being delivered to the TV.

davsv1
18-03-2013, 8:06am
I'm in Beenleigh too and have no problems with ABC channels, I was unable to get 31 until I installed a new "fringe" antenna from Jaycar. This is through a set top box, I still have and old analogue tv.

Epoc
18-03-2013, 9:10am
Get yourself a booster. Easy to install, just plug it it to power, plug your ariel into one end and another ariel lead back to your TV in the other. Jobs done, pictures perfect. Not sure on cost though.

glennb
18-03-2013, 9:24pm
Just a quick question about digital TV here in brizzy. I live in Beenleigh and have been having trouble with all of the channel two stations and sometimes the channel ten stations. With the ABC stations I sometimes get a no signal message on my TV. If not that just massive pixilation’s. I have a small TV upstairs that I can change between analogue and dig and can get the analogue when I can’t get dig downstairs. Annoyingly it doesn’t happen all the time but is most of the time. Is anybody else having the same problem here in Brissy?

I had one of the first digital boxes that came out and paid $600 for it (never againI will buy new tech staight up) I had nothing but trouble with it but found it was not the box, but every property I lived in had the old flat ribbon cable is no good for digital, you need duel shield or better quad sheild cable from the antenna to your tv. With my current property I had a old antenna which was the issue baught a $79 new one and it fixed the prob. With digital reception the fall off is much quicker than annalog (quality reception is more narrow) You can use your TV or digital box to find the best direction for you antenna by using the signal strenth on your TV or dig box. Also spliting the cable for extra TVs will reduce quality.
So make sure you have a newish antenna
duel or quad shield cabling
antenna in the correct direction (weather and your home appliance will effect your reception more on a weak signal)
if still no good could be a height issue, look at your neighbours antenna to see their height.

also boosters will boost signal strenth but not allways signal quality there are 2 parts to digital reception it seems. I bought a booster first in my current place and I got full strenth but did nothing for my quality strength and the picture was still playing up on me so I then went for the new anntena which fixed the issue.

ameerat42
18-03-2013, 9:56pm
3 TVs, 2 types; two antennas. One antenna feeds 2 diff types, one of which shows pea-poor ABC, the other shows perfect ABC. 2nd antenna feeds same type of TV as 1st antenna, all channels clear. 2nd antenna is lower than the 1st. Usually happens when trains pass, often when almost anything passes. ALL the ABC channels break up - ie, go on holidays! Have concluded that ABC signal is weaker than all the others.

And all this in Sydney.
Am(often spitting chips when it does).

ROA44
18-03-2013, 10:34pm
If you do decide to replace the coax cable from the antenna to the wall socket, make sure you get good quality RG-6 Quad Core Cable EG (Beldon from say somewhere like Jaycar), digital signals are very easily affected and the result is pixilation. Ananlog signal is more forgiving with digital you've either got it or you haven't. If that still doesn't work and you have retuned and tried adjusting the antenna then you may need to consider replacing the antenna but that should only have to be a last resort. also make sure the cable from the wall socket to the set top box & or TV is quad to as AC & or other signals can be a problem. When running the antenna cable don't run it along side power cables try to keep them a little way apart and cross them over at right angles if necessary all these little things help to minimise problems hope this helps.

pjs2
18-03-2013, 10:43pm
Hi all,

I (begrudgingly) got rid of a thirty year old THORN AWA which was still working to buy a new LCD tv with built in set top box. New antenna,quad core cable pro installed. Had two months of joy now(abc and 10) are on and off very annoying. TV upstairs (analogue with HD set top) has the choice of two antennas which I change around when things go locco. I think I'm up on the roof and changing all attachments back to the tv.:(

Many thanks for your help folks.

Peter