PDA

View Full Version : Do you own/use a tablet?

ricktas
17-03-2013, 9:19pm
Do you own/use a tablet. No matter if it is an iPad, android, windows tablet, or another brand/type.

Miyuki
17-03-2013, 10:07pm
I have an iPad, and I usually use it to check this forum and browse other web sites:) Ever since I got my iPad, I can't be bothered to start my computer for easy stuff. Now my computer is for processing photos and make some documents/presentations for work.

Miss Molly
17-03-2013, 10:43pm
I have an iPad, I didn't think I would use it much and was worried it would be a waste of money but I have had it for around 6 weeks now and I love it. I do just about everything on my iPad and hardly boot up my laptop anymore..

bobt
17-03-2013, 11:12pm
I use a 7" tablet but as a book reader rather than anything else. It has all sorts of books on it, plus all my photography and camera manuals and photographic articles.

I use it when I'm waiting at the doctor's or any other sort of waiting, and also so that I can read on planes, trains etc. It's not on a plan so I can't use the 'net except wirelessly at home. It's just better than a kindle as I can read anything - PDFs, Docs - whatever, and as it's Android rather than Apple I'm not locked into their restrictive ecosystem!

tcdev
17-03-2013, 11:58pm
I don't own a tablet yet, but I'm waiting for an opportunity to justify the expense. That'll be when we head to the US in August...

My laptop is a behemoth at around 7kg - needed it for work travel - but there's no way I'm carting that around when I don't need to! I'm planning on buying an Android tablet, as I'm philosophically opposed to Apple's business model, and would rather have access to tens of thousands of free applications anyway. I plan to use it primarily for internet access whilst travelling (email & web) but no doubt it'll come in handy as an e-Reader and mobile games platform as well. I doubt it'll ever replace my desktop (too many 'power' applications I need to use) but I can see myself surfing the net whilst sitting on front of the TV (and my wife complaining about it at the same time!). ;)

SunBear
18-03-2013, 4:22am
I have an iPad, have had an Android Phone, work gives me Blackberry's but my choice is Windows Phone. I have a Samsung Focus with 7.8 and I love it. If only the Nokia Lumia 920 had an SD slot I would upgrade in a heartbeat.

arthurking83
18-03-2013, 6:34am
Got a couple of tablets.

Don't really use them much for surfing, especially forum browsing .. I need a real keyboard for forum browsing.

Although, even for general browsing, where not much typing is required, I still prefer the faster operations available on the PC when I'm at home.

Old Skool
18-03-2013, 5:37pm
I have an Ipad 2 and love it. Read the newspaper on it easier than reading a paper with my old eyes! So easy to use, again my main computer is for heavy photo processing work these days. Thought the Ipad was a touch big for travel so also got an Ipad Mini which we took overseas. Ideal size for travel, watching movies on the plane etc and just to slip in a carry around bag as you wander around overseas. Quickly hook onto free wifi were ever you are with it and straight away online.

William
18-03-2013, 6:03pm
I just bought an Android 7" Media Pad yesterday, I still cant access AP on the bloody thing , Cant find the log in box on the browser :confused013 Little bit different to the PC Windows Explorer , I did buy it to do just general browsing without starting the PC , What is Tapatalk ? Think that is where I'm going wrong :o

PS : Hang on , My son William just got home and sorted it out for me , Woo Hoo !!! Boy I've got some learning to do :D

ricktas
19-03-2013, 7:29am
I just bought an Android 7" Media Pad yesterday, I still cant access AP on the bloody thing , Cant find the log in box on the browser :confused013 Little bit different to the PC Windows Explorer , I did buy it to do just general browsing without starting the PC , What is Tapatalk ? Think that is where I'm going wrong :o

PS : Hang on , My son William just got home and sorted it out for me , Woo Hoo !!! Boy I've got some learning to do :D

what is it they say about old farts and sensitive electronic equipment Bill.... :lol::lol2::confused013:eek::rolleyes::D

ameerat42
19-03-2013, 9:44pm
Tablet or the like? Well, no I have not got any such device, but I have seen 1000s using them almost everywhere. Instead, I have a Bex and a good lie down.
A(h!)m.

Bear Dale
19-03-2013, 10:16pm
I seriously couldn't be without my iPad. If I dropped it and broke it, I'd be out to buy one within an hour.

Brian500au
19-03-2013, 10:59pm
I have Ipad 3. I use it for many different reasons. When I am out photographing I couple it with a eyefi card in my camera - great for previewing as I shoot.

When i travel i use it both for reading books and as my general web surfer.

Last but not least it is a great tourist camera when I could not be bothered carrying my DSLR.

swifty
20-03-2013, 12:01am
ipad mini for my wife. I don't own one personally but voted yes cos I guess there's one in the household.

ranvens
20-03-2013, 12:16am
I have an ipad, but would love to get my hands on a Microsoft surface pro.

Mathy
20-03-2013, 3:22am
iPad 2 and iPhone 4S here. Love the iPad for reading, I've got reference books stored on it via iBooks, it's great that you can have your favourite reference books propped up and available whilst sewing, or taking photos :D Use to use it for web surfing, but found it too clunky for serious forum interaction, it's ability to handle uploading images to forums is horrible, as is it's ability to catalogue and store them. Went back to using a MacBook Air, cheers Deb

Rattus79
20-03-2013, 11:22am
I have an Ipad, I don't use it at all. Gave it to my wife so I could officially uninstall iTunes from my PC.

William: - Use Chrome for Android, It's a far better browser then the stock Android Browser.

zollo
20-03-2013, 11:47am
Yes, new iPad. Use it for forum browsing about 90% of the time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD😀

Warus
15-04-2013, 2:11pm
For those with iPads do you have trouble displaying the full photos on this forum? When I use mine the right side is cut off on nearly every photo. Other forums just re-size but here it is just simply missing.

nwhc
15-04-2013, 3:05pm
For those with iPads do you have trouble displaying the full photos on this forum? When I use mine the right side is cut off on nearly every photo. Other forums just re-size but here it is just simply missing.

Use 2 fingers to scroll sideways.

danny
15-04-2013, 10:20pm
Only person who loves/uses my Ipad more is my 4yr old :lol: In my family it gets used CONSTANTLY! Currently in negotiations to get another.

Cheers
Danny

Dazz1
12-06-2013, 5:35pm
Android here - Motorola Xoom. Gave my small Win7 netbook computer for it. Love it.

MrQ
12-06-2013, 7:07pm
iPad user here. Great device. :)

I @ M
12-06-2013, 7:10pm
A Bex and a lie down works for me.

I think that you may need to be near geriatric like me to get the meaning of that one.

wanderer51
13-06-2013, 8:59pm
A Bex and a lie down works for me.

I think that you may need to be near geriatric like me to get the meaning of that one.
Hmmm....worryingly I know what you are talking about :( ....but then I went into an antique shop the other week and they were selling things I still use....same when I went to one of those 'Early Australian' museum type places (You know, the 'olde' mining town things that every country town seems to have these days).
Anyway, back OT. I use an ipad2 and my wife uses an Android tablet. About the only thing the PC is used for these days is image processing, and that's only because of the big screen. The Macbook is simply to small for my ageing eyes.

andrewvid
13-06-2013, 9:39pm
Well.. If I ripped off my laptop screen, close enough! :p Even though this topic says 'do you use' I was wondering if anyone has the Samsung tab 2 10.1" and what they think about it?

nimrodisease
18-06-2013, 7:14pm
No interest TBH..

SirLozalot
18-06-2013, 8:15pm

Use 2 fingers to scroll sideways.

Same problem for me. 2 fingers doesnt fix. Maybe I should ask my 6 year old...

WarChild
18-06-2013, 8:29pm
Well.. If I ripped off my laptop screen, close enough! :p Even though this topic says 'do you use' I was wondering if anyone has the Samsung tab 2 10.1" and what they think about it?

I have the note 10.1, I think its great. Started using it with a free app to remote control my camera.
I think the only fault I have on it is the position of the charger plug, as its at the bottom in landscape mode. But I'm sure you could get a different case to flip it 180 degree

Pixley
18-06-2013, 8:33pm
Am browsing now on the IPad. My husband bought it initially and I couldn't see the use in it, but now I am converted. I use it for email, as an ereader, to amuse the kids when we are waiting for appointments and as a web browser. Love it now and would also replace it if it broke.

ricktas
18-06-2013, 8:34pm

Use the fingers spread apart..like a V sign, not together.

NikonNellie
18-06-2013, 8:54pm
iPad user here and loving it. I use it for my emails (both home and work), as an Ereader, play games, look up the weather /tides and a whole lot more things.

I particularly wanted it for my little portrait business and use it for:

* Displaying colour swatches to clients so that they get an idea of co-ordinating clothes for the family.
* Posing ideas - I bought a posing app that has tons of portrait poses for individuals, couples and groups. I can use this when I am on a shoot for inspiration.
* I have a portfolio of my images to show potential clients various styles of shooting and editing.

Now I have to get me an iphone to use it to it's full potential. :)

FallingHorse
18-06-2013, 10:58pm
I voted yes because I thought you meant a graphics tablet like Wacom lol :) - I do have one of the other variety but find I don't use it much, it has a Windows 7 operating system and I used to use it for digital scarpbooking with a group of other women but I don't go very often any more. I think I will probably pass it on to my son.

NCHANT
20-06-2013, 9:50am
I use an iPad mini :) awesome little tablet, especially for controlling my Canon 6D!

magrose
20-06-2013, 7:46pm
Samsung Note for me. Bought it for travel as my netbook was soooo slow. Put my photos on it until my OTG connector died. Not a readily available item in Europe, so no looking at the pics at the end of each day.:( Great for writing notes etc.

TheTraveller
20-06-2013, 8:14pm
I have an iPad Mini (replacing my iPad classic). It is great as an eReader and email and browsing device when travelling. It is great for maps and info when in a new location (or not). It is also great for keeping all of your equipment manuals in one place. I am gradually loading all of my camera and other equipment manuals.

I also just bought a piece of kit called a Camranger which allows remote control of my D800 from my iPad or MacBook (PC interface not available yet). Very cool.

gabby
20-06-2013, 11:27pm
I have a Kindle which I love....and you can use calibre to change other formats to correct format for most books. I have been looking into getting a ipad or Samsung Note 10.1 specifically for dumping photos on weekend shoots etc and hopefully for a bit of post-processing. However, advice I've received is that tablets are not suitable for this purpose and that I really need to go up to a laptop for the purpose which adds weight when travelling. Has anyone used them successfully for this purpose or is the advice correct????

Dazz1
21-06-2013, 11:13am
I have a Kindle which I love....and you can use calibre to change other formats to correct format for most books. I have been looking into getting a ipad or Samsung Note 10.1 specifically for dumping photos on weekend shoots etc and hopefully for a bit of post-processing. However, advice I've received is that tablets are not suitable for this purpose and that I really need to go up to a laptop for the purpose which adds weight when travelling. Has anyone used them successfully for this purpose or is the advice correct????

Depends on how you intend to transfer data to the camera. Some tablets don't have USB ports at all. So that have USB ports but won't connect to external drives or card readers. The ones that do work, do it via USB OTG (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go). I don't know whether they will connect direct to the cameras or not. Just a thought, a Wifi enabled camera or memory card might work, haven't tried it.

mongo
23-06-2013, 3:35pm
Yes, the vet gave Mongo a massive rectangular one which he happily ate. However, It does not seem to have helped or changed Mongo at all........:confused013

bobt
23-06-2013, 3:54pm
Yes, the vet gave Mongo a massive rectangular one which he happily ate. However, It does not seem to have helped or changed Mongo at all........:confused013

I think this may be because you weren't supposed to eat it but insert it. Possibly Rick was trying to explain the method when he said earlier "Use the fingers spread apart..like a V sign, not together." ;)

ricktas
23-06-2013, 4:28pm

no more worms!

PhotoPaul
23-06-2013, 9:02pm
My fiancee and I purchased a Toshiba Thrive 10" tablet for when we went overseas last year. It served its purpose really well. We went that way over an iPad or Galaxy Tab due to its much tougher construction and connectivity. Full size USB & HDMI ports came in very handy and the thicker tough rubber exterior was a godsend as it copped abuse while we back-packed around Europe.

We haven't really used it since we came home though...

fishographer
28-06-2013, 3:50pm
Wife has an iPad and we both have iPhones.....as well as a 27inch iMac and Macbookpro.....the iPad is used mostly by the wife for general browsing, social media, reading books ect (just about everything actually :D) and the phones in a similar fashion (all connected to the homes wireless network) with an App for just about everything.....the iMac and Macbook really only get used for image editing, graphic work and writing articles.......for all the Apple users out there grab a Apple TV module and plug into your telly, once connected through the network to your other Apple devices opens up a whole new range of possibilities.....we regularly use the ipad to veiw tv channels through apps(lots of good shows available that are never aired) and stream straight to the TV with it (ABC iview, SBS ect) and all tv series and movies we download just drop straight into itunes and play on the tv....wonderful little piece of gadgetry

ving
28-06-2013, 5:30pm
i have an andriod tablet, but i havent used it for ages. these days i use my andriod phone instead... FB, twitter, email forums, ebay, all sorts of apps and general surfing.... all the time.

enduro
04-07-2013, 11:26pm
We have a Nexus 7 (mine) and a Ipad (wifes), plus a smart phone each.

I use my tablet for most emails, some forum reading (except this one as the mobile alternative for it SUCKS BIG TIME so I don't bother).

yummymummy
20-03-2014, 1:06pm
bought a cheap one, from kmart, thinking it would be ok for when i'm out of the house, checking radar etc.... within two weeks the plug where the charger goes died, and they wouldn't replace it because they said I was overly rough with it..... so now I'm without, and can't afford a new one. :-/

billy4030
20-03-2014, 3:25pm
I've had an ipad for about 6 months now, and love it. Never thought I would use one. Bought for studies I'm doing, but I use it for reading books, magazines and surfing web when not around pc. I think its a great gadget. Only a wi-fi one but if im at work and want to look at something on web, I put my phone on hotspot and ipad surfs web great.

feathers
20-03-2014, 3:36pm
Have had the Samsung Galaxy 4 phone for a few months now and loving it. Got a Galaxy Note 10.1" 1914 edition the other week to go with it.
Still learning to use it, but my photo's come up beautifully on it:th3:

Mark L
20-03-2014, 9:45pm
.... within two weeks the plug where the charger goes died, and they wouldn't replace it because they said I was overly rough with it..... so now I'm without, and can't afford a new one. :-/

To rough? Yeah sure, more like to much work for kmart.
Have you thought about going directly to the manufacturer?

bes
21-03-2014, 7:17pm
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and I like using with the dslr controller app on the tablet wired to my camera when I'm stacking a macro pictures. This be done wirelessly if an extra android device like a phone or if a mobile router is plugged in instead of the tablet so that this device can create a mobile hotspot to communicate with the tablet to control the camera. Too much friggin' around so a usb connection is good enough for me.

RJD
22-03-2014, 9:09pm

I have the same issue on an android, I can only scroll ones that are attachments, not linked ones. My work around is (using Firefox) to touch and hold the image until a menu comes up. From there I can either open the link in a new tab, or I can copy the image location, open a new tab and paste it into the address bar. I usually prefer to do this as it only shows me the photo, whereas opening the link shows me the whole page the photo is on.

mugget
22-03-2014, 10:19pm
Yes, had an iPad since when the iPad 2 was released. Now have an iPad Mini (retina) and it's pretty sweet, big upgrade from the iPad 2 (which I didn't have any complaints with).

It's funny that I most liked doing photography related stuff on my iPhone 4. Then I went to a Note 2 to try out Android... my photo-related productivity dropped to maybe 1/10 or less than what I was previously doing (meaning I was taking less pictures, editing less pictures, etc.) Now I'm using the iPad Mini and it's crazy how I just want to use it so much more than any Android tablet.

fenderstrat1963
23-03-2014, 4:27pm
We have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 & iPhone 5 for non-desktop stuff. My wife is the main user of the iPad but I can see me getting one too - the laptop is too big for my lap and setting up a card table in front of the lounge chair seems redundant (although I do it)

Speedway
25-03-2014, 1:50pm
The other day I asked my daughter if she had a newspaper and after lecturing me on the electronic age V's the old paper days she handed me her I-Pad ---------------------------- Boy that fly didn't know what hit him.
LOL
Keith.

I @ M
25-03-2014, 2:46pm
she handed me her I-Pad ---------------------------- Boy that fly didn't know what hit him.

:lol:

REDbiv
26-03-2014, 1:22am
Speedway, I needed that laugh, cheers

I have a Samsung Note 10.1. As I'm FIFO, and signed up to study it was the cheapest option last year. Unfortunately, doesn't work on my uni stuff, so that's delayed that a bit longer until I can get a laptop (tax refund turned into a bill I'm still paying :-(). But it's good for playing on and will act as screened modem when laptop becomes mine

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Chrisk
31-03-2014, 9:04am
I have a Microsoft surface pro which I use when travelling to download and do a basic sort of photos. This works very well for me.

Morgo
02-04-2014, 10:41pm
I have an IPad, bought it for the Retina display. Very handy for on the go stuff and viewing photos, much less frustrating to use than the IPhone for web surfing.. Can't come close to replacing a real computer or laptop for me though.

enduro
02-04-2014, 11:10pm
We have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 & iPhone 5 for non-desktop stuff. My wife is the main user of the iPad but I can see me getting one too - the laptop is too big for my lap and setting up a card table in front of the lounge chair seems redundant (although I do it)

You might consider something like a Nexus 7.

I have one and find t indispensable due to the sheer size, weight and frame dimensions. Even with the cover on I can fit it in my back pocket. The newer 2013 model (as did the 2012 one?) had really good screen res.

The N7 is perfect for bed time reading too, as it is light and when combined with the Android only ScreenDimmer app, you can read in total darkness even at 2am without hurting your eyes or waking your partner. I trialled a new model Ipad Mini for a couple of months and the N7 wins hands up. The Ipad or Mini version is so heavy in comparison you have to put your hands down.

fenderstrat1963
03-04-2014, 6:03am
You might consider something like a Nexus 7.

Thanks for that enduro, I'll have a look at one.

Becky 82
06-04-2014, 10:05pm
i have a samsung galaxy tablet i use for facebook, games, and other social media, and photo editing.
iphone 4, that needs to be upgraded asap waititng for one more smash and i an get a new phone .
also a laptop the gets started up for paperwork. (the joys) :)

Sherrie
07-04-2014, 11:35am
I have an iPad and I am very addicted to it hehe I resisted for a long time (I don't use a mobile). But once I got into the habit of using it that was it!

I only use my computer now for web/server stuff and Photo editing.

My partner has a Samsung tablet which has a slot for an SD card built in which I would think it would be quite handy when on holidays etc and you want to go through the photos at the end of the day.

Cage
07-04-2014, 6:22pm
I have an HTC One, which after my old phone seems almost as big.

Other that, just the occasional Aspro.

Drivermann
29-04-2014, 12:03am
I have an I Pad 2, it goes everywhere with me. I also have a 7" Android tablet. Not so useful as it doesn't normally have a SIM card in it.
When I do put the SIM card from my smart phone in the 7" tablet it can double a a very large mobile phone.

jev
29-04-2014, 1:01am
I recently bought an iPad mini... for remote control on the audio installation. I also have a Motorola Zoom 2 ME which is used for a lot more things. I really can't get used to the single-tasking operation of the iPad.

kevin301
15-05-2014, 4:44pm
Loving my Google Nexus 7 (2013) :)
Using it to view photos and occasionally control my D600 via the Nikon Wireless Utility app.

Speedway
26-05-2014, 9:20am
I received this email a few days ago:-

Dad's New I-Pad

Watch the following short clip that takes less than a minute.

A daughter is visiting her father and is helping in the kitchen. She asks:

"Tell me dad, how are you managing with the new I-Pad we gave you for your birthday?"

This clip is spoken in German but it's totally understandable in any language.

http://www.snotr.com/embed/8965

HughD
10-06-2014, 11:45am
Hi
Any one using Eye-Fi linked to an iPAD. It seems to take awhile to link through. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Hugh

macmich
10-06-2014, 7:40pm
[Microsoft surface2 a great little addition

REDbiv
10-06-2014, 9:07pm
Warus gave me something to ask as well. Do those using Android get to view forum loaded pics via Tapatalk? Both my tablet and phone won't display any pic unless it's linked from an external source