PDA

View Full Version : help

MissBecc
28-04-2008, 9:12am
please help.. im getting so frustrated.

I have a degree of understanding to the whole technicle side of photography, but it isnt there a swell. Its like something is missing and it just doesnt click for me, i.e understanding the whole f stop and etc etc

please someone help make it click.

:confused:

ricktas
28-04-2008, 9:27am
Im a bit confused, whats the actual question?

Are you saying your dont get the relationship between Aperture and Shutter speed?

Have a look at this, I find visually this represents it all well: http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/41450051

MissBecc
28-04-2008, 9:31am
basically yes Rick.

And so when it comes to my settings, really im going on guess/experience not skill, which is frustrating as i know i have a talent with my photography, i just need the precise knowledge behind it.

Make sense?

MissBecc
28-04-2008, 9:33am
p.s that link is great. thank you

MissBecc
28-04-2008, 9:34am
omg actually that is exactly what i need. See im a visual person, and just hadnt had anything like that to connect the two.

THANKYOU

ricktas
28-04-2008, 9:36am
you are welcome!

ving
28-04-2008, 9:53am
yup, smaller aperture and deeper DoF means less light to the sensor so a longer exposure is needed.
larger aperture and shallower DoF has more light to the sensor and a faster shutter is needed :)

that picture says it all :)

The_Scroop
28-04-2008, 11:49am
One very useful tool is histograms. It is a graph that gives an average reading based on exposure in your shots.
If you do a little research in them and learn how to display it on your camera and read them, you will find it much easier.
They can tell you if your shot it overexposed, underexposed or just right. This is more of an advanced aspect of photography but very useful.

Another handy tip, if you are shooting at say 50mm, keep your shutter speed at 1/50 or quicker (1/80...1/100 etc etc). This will help you take a picture that is not blury and in focus. If you find that there is not enough light to expose the image at 1/50, you can then do other things to compensate. Like adjusting aperture to let more light in (2.8 is larger than 5.6, this is hard to understand sometimes, but remember....smaller number means bigger hole which means more light).
You can also adjust iso to allow the shot to expose correctly.

If you can answer please answer these things, it will assist myself and other to help you:

What modes do you find yourself shooting in? Full auto (A), programmed auto (P), Aperture Priority (Av), Shutter priority (Tv) or Manual (M)?

What do you understand so far about the technical side of photography?

What are you biggest problem? Images too dark, to light, not in focus?

And what is your current kit made up of? (camera, lens' etc)

Cheers
T.S.

MissBecc
28-04-2008, 6:41pm
One very useful tool is histograms. It is a graph that gives an average reading based on exposure in your shots.
If you do a little research in them and learn how to display it on your camera and read them, you will find it much easier.
They can tell you if your shot it overexposed, underexposed or just right. This is more of an advanced aspect of photography but very useful.

Another handy tip, if you are shooting at say 50mm, keep your shutter speed at 1/50 or quicker (1/80...1/100 etc etc). This will help you take a picture that is not blury and in focus. If you find that there is not enough light to expose the image at 1/50, you can then do other things to compensate. Like adjusting aperture to let more light in (2.8 is larger than 5.6, this is hard to understand sometimes, but remember....smaller number means bigger hole which means more light).
You can also adjust iso to allow the shot to expose correctly.

If you can answer please answer these things, it will assist myself and other to help you:

What modes do you find yourself shooting in? Full auto (A), programmed auto (P), Aperture Priority (Av), Shutter priority (Tv) or Manual (M)?

What do you understand so far about the technical side of photography?

What are you biggest problem? Images too dark, to light, not in focus?

And what is your current kit made up of? (camera, lens' etc)

Cheers
T.S.

1. I move between A-Dep, TV & AV.

2. What i understand and know i can put in prac, but find real hard to put to words. does this make sense????

3. As funny as this sounds, im not having issue's with how they are coming out. I get the DOF i want most of the time, focus, light etc is all ok. I really am generally happy with my output, i just want to know what im doing, even though i already know how to do it. I just want to know the words/terms behind it. Does this make sense???

3. 350D, kit lenses but i haven't touched them since i got these, 50mm 1.8, 17-70mm. But im about to upgrade to the 40D in few weeks, which im looking forward too.

Roof
28-04-2008, 8:36pm
I'm with you here Etchd, But i've learned by just fooling around in the backyard....Also i think Sans posted a few links once.....

Now i just have to find them...

Roof
28-04-2008, 8:37pm
Found it

http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/shutteraperture.php

http://www.camerasinteractive.com/index.php#

In the last link click on Virtual camera....

I hope this helps..