PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cropping Many Photos For Printing

leanneqld
06-03-2013, 12:02pm
I need advice please. Lets say I go to a wedding and shoot 200+ photos. I'm editing them and I need to put them on discs,1 for uncle Bob, 1 for aunty Jean, 1 for cousin Karen...etc etc Now I don't know who wants them as 6x4's or 5x7's or 11x14's for example. So when I come to crop them, do i crop them free size to chop off for example too much sky and let the people who want to print them out at K-mart deal with the sizes at the photo kiosk themselves?
Same thing, if I want to print a bunch of photos for myself, and I'm not sure what sizes I want while I'm editing them, should I crop free hand to get the best composition ,save them full resolutio, and worry about the 6x4 or 5x7 sizes when I go to get them printed, knowing some of the photos may be chopped to fit the specific aspect ratio at the photo kiosk?

THanks ( I hope this makes sense)

kiwi
06-03-2013, 12:09pm
Personally I crop to suit the image but also try to leave some room around that crop for alternative crops at print time. If not, so sad, never mind, it will only print to that size. If someone wants a 6x4 or an 8x10 then that's there issue to deal with.

ameerat42
06-03-2013, 12:11pm
Couldn't you ask an easier Q, Leanne?

I had to read it twice, once to get to know all the people involved and then to figure out what they all wanted. :D

I came away thinking that you should do what you think is right (crop, other PP) with the photos and give them all that - all the same versions.

What they do at (printing) kiosks is up to them. Anyway, they can (often/sometimes/rarely) get help there.
If you take them for printing, you'll have a much easier job with what you have begun in the preparation of the photos (I reckon).

Am.

leanneqld
06-03-2013, 12:17pm
Kiwi, I never thought about leaving a little extra room. I am so used to cropping everything to get the photo to the perfect composition for putting it on flickr or entering a competition. I rarely print anything.

Rattus79
06-03-2013, 1:10pm
I would echo Kiwi's thoughts, and if anyone want's specific sizing or crops, then they can pay you to do the job :D

Darey
06-03-2013, 1:35pm
The question I've got to ask is: do you want to keep control ? Do you care what they and their friends are seeing as your images.
If you don't care then do what Kiwi suggests, leave some space and let them adjust the compositions to meet their printing needs.