PDA

View Full Version : Which of my lenses do what?

Brettmc20
05-03-2013, 9:51pm
Ok being still faily new to photography having a 550D im kinda stuck on which lens to use for what.
I use my canon 50mm 1.8 for nearly everything.
50mm 1.8
18-55
55-200

Would someone be able to help me with which is best used for what application.

I use my 18-55 for landscapes and my 55-200 next to never. I wouldnt mind a walk around lens for taking street photography, street scapes whilst walking to my landscape / seascape location.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Also got about $300 to spend on a new lens, i am also thinking of selling my 2 kit lens if they arent needed.

fess67
05-03-2013, 10:07pm
You can use defferent lenses for many reasons / applications. Here is my personal 'typical' use:

50mm - landscape, portrait
18-55 - landscape, portrait
55 - 200 - portrait, wildlife

Before you part with your money for more lenses, ask yourself what it is you do not like about the lens you want to replace. Your kit lenses may not be top of the range but do cover most situations. I am not saying don't get another lens, just work out what you really want first and then go for the best you can afford, they will last you for years so try not to skimp at this stage.

AVALANCHE
06-03-2013, 12:29am
Well, given the 550D is a cropped sensor your lenses actually have different focal lengths.

Your 50mm is around 80mm through the lens instead.

Your 18-55 is around 28-85mm approx.

Your 55-200 is around 85-300mm instead.

So, what does this mean?

The 50mm is a great portrait lens (shooting from below the bust up of the subject), and you can leave it on for most situations as it will help you in low light too. Using a fixed lens mostly imporantly will also strengthen your composition skills and force you to move around to find the best way to fill the frame, rather than a zoom which may make you complacent.

The 18-55mm would be good for landscapes, street, group shots.

The 55-200 would be good for portraits, birding, isolating subject matter.

Why do you need another lens? You have the entire focal range of 18-200mm covered and have low light covered with the 50mm.

In daylight shooting, your lenses will be fine. Have a good shooting and post things up here. Don't get hung up on gear aquisition and think more about the shots and how you will acheive them with your current set up since that is the best you have at the moment.

sunny6teen
06-03-2013, 2:23am
I'd be inclined to keep those 3 lenses as you're still learning the basics. what you've got is ideal for getting out there and learning the ropes.

I shoot landscapes at 16mm...I shoot landscapes at 400mm.
we choose different focal lengths because they changes the appearance of the image - and I'm not just referring to magnification.
they alter the depth of field and the angle of view...two terms you may have to look up.
angle of view is (oh so very) often confused with 'perspective' so be careful when you google it...too many fools have blogs :)
perspective only changes when you're walking around etc.

explaining it is one thing but seeing it in action will be more helpful
take a photo at 18mm...take another one at 200mm using the same aperture and from the same position looking at the same subject.
only allow the focal length to be different.
compare the 2 shots. note the change in depth of field. note the 'apparent' change in distance between near and far objects.
it's these things that will help you determine which lens for which situation.

arthurking83
06-03-2013, 6:10am
$300 isn't going to buy you all that much.

Tamron 17-50/2.8 with or without VC springs to mind.
'Tis a very good lens, and keep you entertained for years to come.

Otherwise hold onto your money for a while longer and allow it to multiply to greater levels!

ricktas
06-03-2013, 6:16am
all your lenses take photos, and you could fairly much use any of them for anything. Limiting yourself to a particular lens for a particular genre, is doing just that, limiting yourself. Some have a reputation for particular genre, like using a wider lens for landscapes, but you can shoot landscapes at 200mm.

I agree, keep your money, learn more about photography and then buy better lenses.

Rattus79
06-03-2013, 1:02pm
What Rick said!

Brettmc20
06-03-2013, 8:26pm
Done, i ordered some books recommended to me
-The art of Photography
-Photo Inspiration: Secrets behind stunning images
-Extraordinary Everyday Photography: Awaken Your Vision to Create Stunning Image Wherever You Are

These will keep me entertained during my lunch break at work instead of facebook or youtube.

Thanks for your advice, you all saved me some $$$$ which i really appreciate.

ricktas
06-03-2013, 8:55pm
One of the best things you can do now is read, learn, take photos and put them up for CC on this site. Then you get feedback on your actual photos and can use that feedback to improve, combining it with the knowledge you get from here, and your books. The more you take photos the more you will learn.

glennb
06-03-2013, 10:20pm
I spent hours working out what lenses to get when i started, was looking at the $1000s in the end, but have relized before thankfully what i have now is doing fine as for a beginner and though not low light lenses they are sharp in good light and night when using flash or tripod. I have nikon 35mm f/1.8 18 - 55, 55 -300 I am looking a wider lens 11-16 f1.8 tokina because of the crop issue on the 5100. Im putting up with the changing of lenses till I see what I really need/use often.

Kym
06-03-2013, 10:26pm
Well, given the 550D is a cropped sensor your lenses actually have different focal lengths.<snip>

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!
DO NOT PERPETUATE A LIE!!!!

Ok Kym, calm down!

Refer: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:Focal_Length_vs_Crop_Factor

1. Focal length is NOT different!!! A 50mm FL is 50mm no matter what the sensor size is.

2. The crop factor is what makes the difference.

3. Refer 1.

William W
12-03-2013, 10:32am
Ok being still faily new to photography having a 550D im kinda stuck on which lens to use for what.

Then you are stuck in the wrong place: and for all the wrong reasons.
If you continue on this path you’ll probably never really understand what Photography is all about and you will be severely frustrated and limited in your application of the Craft.
Stop worrying about defining what lenses are for what purpose and think more about what Photographs that you see in your everyday travels.
Then make them – DON’T worry WHAT lens you have – just make the Photograph – and then work out what was right and what was wrong about it – and work out how you can do better next time.

How to make it better next time maybe will require using a different lens – BUT it will be using a different lens for that ONE particular shot – and you will NOT defining one lens for any particular Genre of Photography.

Best advice – stick the 18 to 55 on the camera and make 10 (ten) Photographs this weekend that you planned and thought about, BEFORE you press the Shutter Release.

Then dissect them.
Ask for assistance if you want critique.

I suggest you keep the $300.00 for awhile and NOT buy any other lens.

WW

Steve Axford
12-03-2013, 11:45am
I'm sure all of this is great advice, but .... you also need to find your own path, unless you plan to be exactly the same as the norm. Different lenses give different perspectives. You need to use them to see what the difference is. Try to get close to your subject and don't just rely on your eyes, look through the camera and take pictures as the result will be a little different from the view through the viewfinder.

Speedway
12-03-2013, 1:38pm
Kim beat me to answering Avalanche's comment in kind. +1 to Kim.
Re the camera and lenses you have, you have a great starting set there. I had similar when I started (400D, 50 1.8,18-55 and a 75-300 kit lenses, I used these for 2 years before deciding which way to go updating them.
My advice is to select one lens and use it for a day, look at the shots and pick them to bits, post some here and get feedback and help with anything you might be doing wrong, go back and retake the shots using the advice from here. Work your way through the other lenses and when you get to the stage where you feel you can no longer get any more out of these kit lenses then it is time to look at upgrading and by then your knowledge will allow you to know what you need. the amount those lenses are worth 2nd hand they are usually not worth selling, I gave mine to a friend who wanted to get a DSLR and got a 600D, over 12 months later and he is still getting good service out of them but is starting to look at upgrading and tries one of my lenses whenever I visit him.

Brettmc20
12-03-2013, 5:15pm
I really like using the 50mm 1.8. It keeps me moving and i have to use my feet to get the shot i need.
The 18-55 i use the second most but always swap back over to the 50mm in low light. I mainly shoot cars, my daughter or family so i use mainly one of these 2 for some reason.

My daughter dropped my 55-250mm lens the other day the glass is broken, i was cleaning it on the table and she dragged it off by accident. Completely my fault, so now im stuck with only the 2 lenses.

Thanks to everyone for their input and help.

AVALANCHE
15-03-2013, 8:52pm
Wow...I don't appreciate that kind of reply at all. I'll be careful to be so vague in the future with posts.

Okay then, without elaborating too much and as my understanding of it in better terms...when a lens is mounted on a camera like the 550D, the angle of view is different than the lens' stated focal length. The end result therefore, is the same result as if you shot with a 35mm/film camera and then cropped away some of the perimeter.

Is this somewhat correct or am I way off????

Speedway
15-03-2013, 9:36pm
You are spot on Avalanche.
Cheers
Keith.

ricktas
16-03-2013, 8:21am
Wow...I don't appreciate that kind of reply at all. I'll be careful to be so vague in the future with posts.

Okay then, without elaborating too much and as my understanding of it in better terms...when a lens is mounted on a camera like the 550D, the angle of view is different than the lens' stated focal length. The end result therefore, is the same result as if you shot with a 35mm/film camera and then cropped away some of the perimeter.

Is this somewhat correct or am I way off????

You are correct, the field of view changes, not the focal length of the lens. Whilst you may not have appreciated the reply, your original comment: "Well, given the 550D is a cropped sensor your lenses actually have different focal lengths", is not correct and did need clarifying/correcting.

A lens doesn't magically become a different focal length cause it is on a crop sensor body. A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens, whether it is on a crop body, a full frame body, or sitting on a kitchen bench. What changes is the field of view:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/staff/technical/Lens1.png

Roosta
16-03-2013, 12:04pm
Done, i ordered some books recommended to me
-The art of Photography
-Photo Inspiration: Secrets behind stunning images
-Extraordinary Everyday Photography: Awaken Your Vision to Create Stunning Image Wherever You Are

These will keep me entertained during my lunch break at work instead of facebook or youtube.

Thanks for your advice, you all saved me some $$$$ which i really appreciate.

A couple of good site while your on your learning curve (Beside AP that is)

The Digital Picture (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/) - Canon wonderland

Cambridge in Colour (http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/) - Learning the wonders

Tamron Focal Length Tool (http://tamron-usa.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php)- This allows you to choose different focal lengths and see the results, may help you down the line with focal length choice.

arthurking83
16-03-2013, 12:47pm
For Avalanche:

The reason we like to keep to a certain level of correctness with respect to lens focal lengths and crop factors, is because of the differences in DOF.

So if you shot at 35mm on APS-C and 50mm on full frame, you will certainly have very similar FOV in both images, but the 50mm lens image will naturally provide a shallower DOF if the image is focused at the same point and the aperture remains the same.

Similarly with your question about cropping the fullframe shot to suit the FOV of an smaller sensor image.... the DOF rendering is going to be shallower, so while the image may appear to be similar, it will look different to an actual shot from an APS-C camera. The output size of the respective images will determine whether you can see those differences or not.

ps. angle of view is not entirely set for any specific focal length either.
The angle of view is related to the sensor size.

That is, you can get two different lenses at 15mm that can give you two different fields of view!! One could be set to 90° on a 35mm frame .. the other could be as much as 180° if the lens designer wants it to be.

Also! a 50mm lens gives you a FOV equivalent to about 50° on a 35mm frame, but that may also equate to a 60° FOV on a medium format frame .. or even a 90° on MF too! But then again the lens may only privide a 42mm radius imaging circle, and hence only give you only 55° FOV on medium format .. irrespective of what MF size is used.... etc, etc.

It's not really as simple as you may think it is!

..... the angle of view is different than the lens' stated focal length. .....

So this should read: the angle of view stated for this lens on one format size will be different for another format size!(ie. not focal length).

AVALANCHE
17-03-2013, 1:34am
You are correct, the field of view changes, not the focal length of the lens. Whilst you may not have appreciated the reply, your original comment: "Well, given the 550D is a cropped sensor your lenses actually have different focal lengths", is not correct and did need clarifying/correcting.

A lens doesn't magically become a different focal length cause it is on a crop sensor body. A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens, whether it is on a crop body, a full frame body, or sitting on a kitchen bench. What changes is the field of view:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/staff/technical/Lens1.png

That diagram is handy and very straight-forward, thanks. I'll save it to my desktop.

...and sure, there are ways to go about correcting someone though, I don't think;

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!
DO NOT PERPETUATE A LIE!!!!

...is this the right way to go about it. Call it over-sensitive, and I don't think this type of behaviour should be accepted. In fact, it is in the rules:

YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES

[8] Members should be treated with respect and courtesy. Members are requested not to insult or make personal attacks on other members. Members are requested not to make lewd comments on the content of photos posted for critique. Remarks deemed to be libellous, defamatory, slanderous or offensive will be deleted, "Flame bait" postings, identical or similar repeat postings will also be deleted.

With that said, I am leaving it at that.

- - - Updated - - -

For Avalanche:

The reason we like to keep to a certain level of correctness with respect to lens focal lengths and crop factors, is because of the differences in DOF.

So if you shot at 35mm on APS-C and 50mm on full frame, you will certainly have very similar FOV in both images, but the 50mm lens image will naturally provide a shallower DOF if the image is focused at the same point and the aperture remains the same.

Similarly with your question about cropping the fullframe shot to suit the FOV of an smaller sensor image.... the DOF rendering is going to be shallower, so while the image may appear to be similar, it will look different to an actual shot from an APS-C camera. The output size of the respective images will determine whether you can see those differences or not.

ps. angle of view is not entirely set for any specific focal length either.
The angle of view is related to the sensor size.

That is, you can get two different lenses at 15mm that can give you two different fields of view!! One could be set to 90° on a 35mm frame .. the other could be as much as 180° if the lens designer wants it to be.

Also! a 50mm lens gives you a FOV equivalent to about 50° on a 35mm frame, but that may also equate to a 60° FOV on a medium format frame .. or even a 90° on MF too! But then again the lens may only privide a 42mm radius imaging circle, and hence only give you only 55° FOV on medium format .. irrespective of what MF size is used.... etc, etc.

It's not really as simple as you may think it is!

So this should read: the angle of view stated for this lens on one format size will be different for another format size!(ie. not focal length).

Thanks, I had to re-read that a few times haha. All part of the learning.

arthurking83
17-03-2013, 11:00am

Thanks, I had to re-read that a few times haha. All part of the learning.

LOL!

See my last post in this thread too about this annoyance of focal length/crop factor too:

HERE (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?113737-THINKING-of-buying-a-quot-primary-quot-%28telephoto-%29-lens-for-my-Canon)

It's a difficult concept to just visualise without first hand experience.

But if you shoot with a 50mm lens, your DOF will be the same no matter what sensor format you've chosen.

Because full frame 35mm and APS-C are quite close in size, the differences are not quite as obvious.

For a more clear understanding of these differences, you need to look at extremes of the sensor scale.

That is, look at how a superzoom image captured by even a bridge camera, but more clearly seen with a more compact camera is rendered compared to an equivalent image captured by a proper tele lens on a full frame camera.

Some of those small compact cameras apparently have an 400-600mm equivalent(to 35mm format) lens, and you place a 500mm lens on a full frame camera and getting any depth of focus in the scene is nigh on impossible! That's because the compact superzoom lens is really only something like 27mm, as compared to 500mm on the larger format! No need to descibe the differences in DOF between those two focal lengths!

William W
17-03-2013, 5:26pm
Arthur, I have carefully read both and yet I remain confused by both of your posts -

DoF is a concept, which is predicated on the “Circle of Confusion.
The Circle of Confusion changes with the Format size of the camera.
The DoF at any aperture, also changes with the SD (Subject Distance).

I therefore don’t understand how we can discuss the “DOF of a Lens at a given Aperture”, without ALSO referring to:

the camera’s format and therefore include the change of the Circle of Confusion
the SD.

In light of the above points, would you please explain what you mean by the statement:

But if you shoot with a 50mm lens, your DOF will be the same no matter what sensor format you've chosen.

WW

fess67
17-03-2013, 6:16pm
You guys!! You are not making AP look good with this 'my knowledge is better than yours' crap.

The OP wanted to know what his lenses could do. He is a beginner with a few posts under his belt. Please treat the topic in that manner and give information that is relevant to the question and experience level.

My view is this: When my son asks me a question I answer it as best I can but within his sphere of knowledge and understanding. Sure I have a degree and could give him the university level answer but that will not really help, in fact it may even harm because it is not what he needs. He needs a base to build his knowledge on, then we can introduce more advanced ways of looking at the question.

This thread was started by a question about what lenses do what. At a beginner level it requires a generalist response and does not (IMO) need to descend into the nitty gritty of the xyz of focal lengths, camera formats, ....blah blah blah.

You want to beat your chests about how much you know, take it into a darkroom somewhere and live the dream, but please don't alienate members with this tit for tat style blogging.

</rant>

William
17-03-2013, 7:21pm
Gets back to my thinking , The KISS method of learning for a beginner works , To much knowledge sometimes is not good , And an overload :)

William W
17-03-2013, 10:15pm
Speaking for myself only: I asked a question, because I don’t understand something which was written in this thread and also in the other thread, to which there was a link provided.
I would like an explanation, as, I sincerely believe that member “Arthur King” has the best interests of the Site and also its Members, in mind – but I really don’t understand what he is meaning to say.

On another point – I don’t understand why being “a beginner” at The Craft, automatically subjugates one into a sub group of NOT being able to understand or keep up with a logical flow of conversation.

Thirdly, the analogy with (assumed) a Child, is flawed as we are (assumed) discussing the capacities of an Adult’s: learning; thinking and understanding skills: not a Child.

Fourthly, included in answering specific questions to benefit any particular OP, I would expect that general learning and exchange across the Site’s Membership is a part of the raison d'être.

And on a final point – the technical issues of a lens actually do pertain to what lenses “can do” which is what the thread is about.
On the other hand “ranting” at other members, however is off topic: not that I mind personally, but just establishing this point - because going “off topic” was brought into the conversation as the primary reason for the rant.

WW