PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Wizards break $100 barrier at last!

WhoDo
03-03-2013, 9:34am
I really like this news. I've been plugging away with Yongnuo and Cactus because I couldn't afford anything better. Now there are no more excuses!

http://strobist.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/pocketwizard-plus-x-remotes-break-100.html

http://vimeo.com/60694982

I @ M
03-03-2013, 9:59am
Waz, other than the compatibility they offer with the rest of the PW range ( a good way of getting an entry level product out to hook people into a system :rolleyes: ) I cannot see what they have to offer ( other than a bulky form factor :( ) over some extremely reliable units on the market that cost 1/2 as much with 2x as many transceivers. :confused013

We have a set of very very cheap triggers and receivers that still keep operating with 99.9% efficiency from about 6 years ago.

We still use Yongnuo RF602 triggers from about 5 years ago that operate at 99.9% efficiency and have had a ton of use.

Between those two sets we haven't spent as much as one of these ( remember that to use these you will have to buy 2 ) and you will still have to connect the unit to a flash or camera by cables.

Yes, we have the excellent PW flex and mini for high speed work and TTL metering of remote speedlights and cannot fault them ( apart from price ) but this new device doesn't tempt me in the slightest.

ricktas
03-03-2013, 10:24am
I think PW have realised other companies like Yonguo etc have been proactive in research and bringing out new wireless gear at much cheaper $$ than PW and PW is sure to have been losing market share. So they had to do something to compete.

MrQ
03-03-2013, 10:32am
The question is: is a cheap Pocket Wizard any better than an (still even cheaper) Yongnuo or Cactus?

JM Tran
03-03-2013, 10:39am
Those cheap PWs coming out dont really offer anything that Yongnuo and Cactus has been offering for the last 4 years, you are just paying for the name.

The only time I found PWs to be handy is when shooting with strobe packs which can enable me to shoot at a high shutter speed for location stuff, esp on medium format cameras which go well with the packs. I never needed TTL.

IMO, keep using your Yonguo and Cactus triggers:)