PDA

View Full Version : Member 'experience level' upgrades

ricktas
23-02-2013, 7:42pm
The moderators and I have reviewed members who have been on the site for over 2 years and have been active during that time. We have decided to do an en-masse member upgrade.

Beginners who joined prior to 01-01-2011, who are active members and have over 250 posts on the site. We feel that over 2 years of being an active member should be commended and that you should have all the basic skills down by now, and thus are deserving of an upgrade.

Congratulations to the following members for being upgraded to Intermediate Level

agb
Allan Ryan
AnnieP
Chinook
Coriena
Greeny
la lumiere
lostris
MegHenry
nuoz
nuoz2
SkattyKat
Tommo1965
wandapics

Congratulations to the above members on your upgrade. If you feel this should not have happened, please send myself or one of the site moderators a personal message and we will discuss.

Note. More beginners may be upgraded in the near future.

Next up: we will be upgrading some intermediate members to advanced.

ricktas
23-02-2013, 8:14pm
Intermediate members who have been members since before 01-01-2011, have been active contributors to the site and have over 500 posts.

Congratulations to the following members who have been upgraded from Intermediate to advanced:

Ameerat42
Andrew
andylo
arnica
Bennymiata
Bercy
bobt
Boo53
Boofhead
Brian500au
Cap
Chilli
Coolie21
Danielle10
Darvidanoar
dbose
Derek-C
dulvariprestige
fabian628
FallingHorse
farmer_rob
feral1
fess67
Floribunda
hawko02
Ian
in2fx
invisible
Ionica
Jacs14
JimD
judybee
junqbox
kaiser
KarenC
leanneqld
Lindiwe
Mark L
Mary Anne
Mat
Michaela
mikec
mikew09
mpb
mudman
Nanny
nixworries
nouveau1
OzzieTraveller
peterb666
peterking
Phil777
rafikicat
Rattus79
rellik666
rene52
Robert Horler
Roosta
salnel
Sarge
Shane.R
smp
Speedway
StanW
trublubiker
wideangle

To all the above members, congratulations on being upgraded to Advanced. If you feel you should not be at this level, please send a personal message to myself or a moderator.

There could be more upgrades soon!

We do upgrades all the time, from reviewing members competition entries and votes to your participation on the forums. This is the first time we have done a 'bulk upgrade' as such, and we could be doing more of both the usual upgrades and bulk upgrades in the future.

Mark L
23-02-2013, 10:12pm
Jeez, upgraded. :eek:
Think the 'bulk upgrade' is a good idea. Anyone worried by their upgrade should just relax and :)

Wandapics
23-02-2013, 10:22pm
Thanks Rick I was thinking I should go up as I have gone up at Camera Club :)
Now to try & post more on here.

Mary Anne
23-02-2013, 10:37pm
Yes a bit of a shock for me too having never won a competition yet. And never will now.

ricktas
23-02-2013, 10:45pm
Yes a bit of a shock for me too having never won a competition yet. And never will now.

As was said, if you have an issue with the upgrade, send a PM to a mod or myself and we will review members individually.

Mark L
23-02-2013, 10:46pm

I often think that the beginners are as good as the advanced in the comps.
Don't base your ability on what the comps results say. :th3:

Ian
23-02-2013, 10:49pm
thank-you rick and mods, but i am not sure i am worthy of the up-date just yet. :food04::) ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

geoffsta
24-02-2013, 7:42am
Looking at the list of names that were in intermediate, I'm surprised weren't in advanced anyway.
And I agree with MarkL. Last weeks comp, some of the beginners images were clearly better than some of those in advanced.

CAP
24-02-2013, 9:36am
Finally cracked 600 posts and a level upgrade on the same weekend !!!!
Bit early to bust out the scotch, might go celebrate with a coffee. :D

alsocass
24-02-2013, 1:13pm

I have been thinking lately that the intermediate competition has had overall better quality pictures than the advanced, t least in my beginner opinion. :)

Sifor
24-02-2013, 1:19pm
I have been thinking lately that the intermediate competition has had overall better quality pictures than the advanced, t least in my beginner opinion. :)

I'd agree with you on that one, especially for this week's POTW...

Geoff Port
24-02-2013, 2:57pm
Congratulations to all those upgraded. Well done. :th3::th3::th3:

Mary Anne
24-02-2013, 3:15pm

As mentioned above I also look at some of the beginner entries and think *What are they doing in this Skill Level* they should be in Advanced

peterking
24-02-2013, 3:25pm
I don't agree with it.

Looking at it though, maybe this is the challenge I need to pull me out of my complacency!

Kym
25-02-2013, 9:48am
Beginner is the default when you join, some people don't set it even if they have 20+ years experience.
It gets sorted fairly quickly, we also tend to review new members and bump them if they have any sort of pro experience.

Kym
25-02-2013, 10:19am

Winning a comp is not the only thing, making the final on many occasions is quite significant.
Statistically winning is very difficult. I.e. compare the number of winners to the number of entries.

Speedway
25-02-2013, 11:30am
Thank you for that ego boost, I needed it I have been feeling a bit down lately and not doing enough photography, hopefully this gets me off my backside and out there again.:crossed::flowersnap:
Cheers
Keith.

Rattus79
25-02-2013, 6:51pm
He he he. I'm advanced now!! Look out!!

Mary Anne
25-02-2013, 6:58pm
Winning a comp is not the only thing, making the final on many occasions is quite significant.
Statistically winning is very difficult. I.e. compare the number of winners to the number of entries.

Numbers don't mean anything to me I have been in the finals a few times. My aim is to win one competition and then I will be happy :D

mongo
25-02-2013, 7:50pm
Mongo is very disappointed. He was was not upgraded. He was very much hoping for an upgrade ton Animal Level. It seems Mongo is not yet quite worthy despite his best efforts.

William
25-02-2013, 7:54pm
I have'nt won a comp for nearly a year now , Can I go back to intermediate :D

Mark L
25-02-2013, 8:21pm
He he he. I'm advanced now!! Look out!!

So what does brilliant get upgraded to?

JanOD
26-02-2013, 8:44am
I was raised to intermediate almost as soon as I joined, based on how long I had owned the camera, and one lucky shot I got. I did take it as a compliment back then, but as you see, haven't advanced any further in levels here. Though I'm at the same level, my skills have noticeably improved. It is my participation that has failed (which I do hope to improve upon). I think now I really am the intermediate that I've been called here - which is a good thing. :) I am not the competitive sort, nor do I take much notice of labels or numbers. If I compete, it is with myself, so if I never enter a competition here, don't think for a minute that I'm not competing. Any improvement is a win in my book. Competitions are a good learning tool, but there are many others too. My goal is to improve, not just to win, nor advance to a different label.

Just a different perspective...

A thought though... If a person really is more advanced than a beginner, and enters a beginners' competition, it isn't really fair to the true beginner, now is it? Some may be too critical of their own work, and not realize their skills have improved (and I'm the first to say I could be guilty of this myself.) So I think this was a good idea, esp. for those who do participate in competitions.

Congratulations to all who have advanced!

Rattus79
26-02-2013, 9:47am
So what does brilliant get upgraded to?

Brilliance is a measure of luminance. I think I just got a little bit brighter. Maybe add some saturation and a little clarity too... :D

ricktas
26-02-2013, 9:57am
Though I'm at the same level, my skills have noticeably improved. It is my participation that has failed (which I do hope to improve upon).

Which is why you most likely have not been upgraded again. We can only assess members on what we get to see. We cannot assess people on how they may have improved if they have not been participating.

Members are free to upgrade themselves at any time. So anyone who thinks their photography has improved can upgrade themselves. You do not have to rely/wait for us to do it : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile

JanOD
26-02-2013, 10:18am
Absolutely, Rick! I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining, I'm not at all. I agree wholeheartedly with you. What I'm saying is that I got moved to the intermediate level, not due to skill, but due more to circumstance, and I've finally caught up to it in skill, which pleases me! :) It's a good thing! I believe the level is accurate for me where it stands, but if that changes, I'll move it (or maybe you will if you're so inclined). And I think the bulk change was a good idea too! Sorry if I didn't sound positive in my post, it truly was positive to me. :)

geoffsta
26-02-2013, 10:22am
Brilliance is a measure of luminance. I think I just got a little bit brighter. Maybe add some saturation and a little clarity too...

I think that's been taken out of contrast, and a bit of vignetted vision. And I think the self portrait is a little candid. But... Still life in a dreamy landscape thinking of plants/fungi while off with the birds.
While the monochrome version needs manipulation in its architecture, on street value, it's a family view of social documentry of a member mugshot. Not formal and posed, but food in transport on a night/astro sport action.

fillum
26-02-2013, 10:28am
Mongo is very disappointed. He was was not upgraded. He was very much hoping for an upgrade ton Animal Level.Even though you didn't get an 'official' upgrade (probably petty jealousy), you'll always be "Animal" in our eyes mongo. I think that puts you one step from the highest, virtually unattainable level of "Rockwell".

:D

ricktas
26-02-2013, 10:47am
Even though you didn't get an 'official' upgrade (probably petty jealousy), you'll always be "Animal" in our eyes mongo. I think that puts you one step from the highest, virtually unattainable level of "Rockwell".

:D

Should that not be Roswell...?

Rattus79
26-02-2013, 1:13pm
Should that not be Roswell...?

No Rockwell, because we will NEVER be as good as Ken!

outstar79
26-02-2013, 1:19pm
Whew missed out! :D

fillum
26-02-2013, 1:20pm
Should that not be Roswell...?Never noticed the similarity before, but both sites (Roswell and Rockwell) have a lot of weird unexplained happenings. :D

William
26-02-2013, 1:25pm

:confused013You must have snuck under the Radar Adam, I think all your work lately is of high standard , Maybe someone will see this :D

outstar79
26-02-2013, 1:32pm
:confused013You must have snuck under the Radar Adam, I think all your work lately is of high standard , Maybe someone will see this :D

Thanks for the compliment Bill - though I think I have a ways to go! :th3:

Mary Anne
26-02-2013, 1:36pm

I also agree about your delightful work Adam though looking at the date of the cut off you had not joined then..

ricktas
26-02-2013, 2:41pm

Big brother is watching though!

Warus
26-02-2013, 2:45pm
Big brother is watching though!

HA HA *insert Nelson picture here*

ricktas
26-02-2013, 2:49pm
HA HA *insert Nelson picture here*

I don't look like Nelson...!:D

Rattus79
26-02-2013, 3:10pm
So,

Do we get any extra Super Powers with the upgrade?

I've tried jumping tall buildings with no success so far, and my attempts at flight were less then spectacular.
Also, I'm now not allowed into Fernwood for trying out the X-ray vision thing too ...

kiwi
26-02-2013, 3:38pm
I wanna be a beginner

ricktas
26-02-2013, 3:46pm
So,

Do we get any extra Super Powers with the upgrade?

I've tried jumping tall buildings with no success so far, and my attempts at flight were less then spectacular.
Also, I'm now not allowed into Fernwood for trying out the X-ray vision thing too ...

Photos, or it did not happen!

Rattus79
26-02-2013, 5:09pm
Photos, or it did not happen!

You will have to petition the QLD Police force for the security tapes ... :D

CherylB
26-02-2013, 6:43pm
Great move mods! :th3:

I came back to the site recently and thought my "advanced" status was sadly lacking, but then I thought "meh"! If I don't make any effort to put all my knowledge learned over the last how ever many years into practice, then I guess I'm not doing myself any favours - and my attitude is, I shouldn't expect them! So, if I have no chance against my current peers, then I have to try harder .... no reason why I should get preferential treatment and be downgraded just to satisfy my ego!

I now feel I'm in very esteemed company with the latest advancements .... and so what if I don't win any comps .... it's not about winning, it's about doing the best you can and feeling satisfied with what you've produced. The reality is, any comps are and always will be subjective, so my attitude is, the only person I have to please is myself.

ricktas
26-02-2013, 6:59pm
You will have to petition the QLD Police force for the security tapes ... :D

Done!:cool:

JoPho
26-02-2013, 9:47pm
I'd like to commend the site organisers for trying to run a handicapped system. It can not be easy to do and I must say it certainly encouraged me to have a go at the competition. I don't know any other forum that goes to this length, usually we all would be treated the same.

I was upgraded from beginner to intermediate after a few months here and felt quite surprised as I feel I have so far to go...but in the 10 months since I got my DSLR I have been quite obsessed and have learned a lot. Ten months ago I thought A stood for automatic LOL...that is beginning! I totally understand that beginning means beginning.

Good luck to all of you, thanks for running an awesome site, Rick and the team, but especially good luck to me! :p

pjs2
28-02-2013, 12:31am
I wanna be a beginner

In the eyes of some people on this site you are young man. You are.:D:D:D

Oh boy I think I'm going to pay for that.:(:(:(

kiwi
01-03-2013, 11:03pm
Indeed you will

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk