PDA

View Full Version : Samsung NX11 .SRW Raw Files not Recognised by Photoshop CS6

Quanita
21-02-2013, 4:15pm
I haven't seen anyone else on here that has a Samsung NX11 but wanted to post an FYI, if anyone shows up and does a search

The raw file format .SRW is not recognised straight out of the box by Adobe Photoshop CS6 (I don't know about any other software)
What I had to do was Batch Rename the Files to have a .CRW extension and then they are recognised fine with no apparent loss of functionality

This also makes the Windows Camera Import Wizard say that there are no images to import on the camera when connecting via usb (which caused me to panic about losing all my photos!)
You have to navigate to the camera itself and manually copy and paste the files.

Thanks
Q

ricktas
21-02-2013, 4:27pm
You will probably find an upcoming update for photoshop will include it. Adobe often has to release an update to make sure it can cope. Have you checked for updates?

The other thing is to download the Adobe DNG converter and use that till PS is updated.

This issue happens quite a bit when a new camera comes out cause the manufacturers use proprietary raw formats, and then all the other software companies have to get it and add it to their next update.

ameerat42
21-02-2013, 4:44pm
Q.
Does any raw conversion program come with the camera?
Am.

arthurking83
21-02-2013, 4:46pm
according to my info the NX11 has been around since 2010!

Adobe usually update ACR a week or two beyond the release date with compatibility for newer models.

Hence your SRW files should be supported. But note (as I've noted) that Photoshop itself doesn't recognise raw files, it uses the intermediary software of either Bridge, or ACR to pre process the raw file.

So you need to open the raw file with either of those two programs first, and then once any tweaks are made, open the finalised raw file with CS6.

I'm not 100% sure about bridge, but I need(ed) to open my raw files in CS6 with ACR first and then CS6.

Rattus79
21-02-2013, 5:11pm
Photoshop itself doesn't recognise raw files, it uses the intermediary software of either Bridge, or ACR to pre process the raw file.

This statement makes me so glad that Pentax has a DNG workflow. I use windows explorer to view my raw files :D

I @ M
21-02-2013, 5:26pm
This statement makes me so glad that Pentax has a DNG workflow. I use windows explorer to view my raw files :D

This statement makes me glad I use Nikon cameras, Nikon software and the instantly available codecs that allow NEF files to be viewed via windoze explorer. :D

If there is ONE good point about Nikon software, it is that they seem to have updates ready to go for their proprietary programs almost as soon as a new body is released.

ameerat42
21-02-2013, 5:51pm
Q.
Does any raw conversion program come with the camera?
Am.

A.
Yes, Samsung RAW Converter 4 (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/camera-camcorder/cameras/nx-cameras/EV-NX11ZZBABGB-spec) is bundled.
Am.