PDA

View Full Version : Help - my work is getting worse!

LisaNicholson
19-02-2013, 2:34pm
I have had a passion for photography my whole life, or for as long as I can remember anyway. In October last year I decided to follow my passion and enrolled into a Dip. Photoimaging with a Design College in Brisbane. After one term, I am sad to say that I feel my work has gotten worse! I was completely unhappy with a recent photo shoot I did for a friend and I have been trying to review my images to workout what it is I don't like about them, but I can't figure it out! I just don't like them. I am so determined to become a successful, and talented photographer - capturing the images I visualise, but I am really starting to doubt myself. Can anyone please recommend some valuable learning sites where I can work harder to improve my photography, or provide advice on how to become a better photographer - I am starting to lose faith in myself :(

Allie
19-02-2013, 3:09pm
Why don't you post some of your photos here (even on this thread) as there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people here who are willing to help?

Rattus79
19-02-2013, 3:16pm
Yep, Post em up!
We love nothing more then deconstructing photographs!

Makes us feel good about ourselves as photographers and how we've grown. It's also nice to help the people on L plates too! :D

ricktas
19-02-2013, 3:24pm
I moved your thread. the Constructive Critique forums are for PHOTOS!

ameerat42
19-02-2013, 3:58pm
...I am so determined to become a successful, and talented photographer - capturing the images I visualise, but I am really starting to doubt myself. Can anyone please recommend some valuable learning sites where I can work harder to improve my photography, or provide advice on how to become a better photographer - I am starting to lose faith in myself :(...

Yes. Right here!

Starting with, "Don't panic!" (Say NO to this:eek:)
Followed by "Calm down." (Maybe like this :cool:)
Then, "Continue to post your pictures/ask for help/advice and interact with others - ie, give feedback too." (Like :flowersnap: :tog: and maybe :lol2:, even if you're :confused013 sometimes. At least :lol:)
And in time, "Take a re-stock of where you think you're going, how you're going, and why you're going there." (Make like :rolleyes:)
Also, expect some detours along the way. (:oops:)

After all, everybody knows Roam wasn't reached in a day!:gl:

(Who)Am(I to speak?)

Kym
19-02-2013, 4:43pm
My guess is you are still in information overload.
Step back and get the basics right
I.e. follow our learning plan... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:Learning_Plan_Details

Break it down into:

Composition
Aperture (Depth of Field)
Subject pose etc. (see composition)
Lighting (flash etc.) (i.e. sharpness via sufficient shutter speed)

Give your self simple projects, one at a time, i.e. a sunset (composition and light), maybe some family portraits etc.

Practice, practice, practice -- also post here to get feedback - which is essential!!

William
19-02-2013, 5:00pm
I agree with Kym , Take a step back , Looking at what you've posted I think you've jumped in the deep end first, BTW nice work for a beginner , Just get the basics down first then work on the manipulation and fancy stuff :)

Tikira
19-02-2013, 5:46pm
Hi Lisa
To me it sounds like you are in the transition period where the knowledge you have acquired at the course is causing you to look more critically at your photo's. This happens to a lot of people as they evolve, and is a very good thing. I see on this forum a lot where people who thought their early work was great have revisited it and found it wasn't, or that their style had changed.

For you in the present moment your knowledge level has probably increased faster than your practical experience, and given you have paid for a course you will be even more critical of your work. All this seems to me to be very normal, so don't panic, this too will pass.

As others have said, disect what you do and don't like about your photo's, and practice until you are happy with it, it will fall into place more quickly than you think. Posting up photos will help as we arent emotionally or financially involved in your work, and can perhaps be a little more balanced.

There does come a time when we all realise how little we really know, feel like we have hit bottom, and then rebuild from there.

Good luck with it all Lisa, and thanks for posting this thread, the replies will benefit a lot of people.

Di

LisaNicholson
21-02-2013, 10:47pm
Thank you all so much for your wonderful feedback, it is so nice to have found this forum full of generous people, so will to give advice. Here are five shots taken from a recent family portrait shoot I did for a friend, these are some of the nicer shots, but still not at the standard I hope to achieve. I'm also struggling to come up with original ideas, I would love to learn techniques for developing my creativity and improving the artistic element of my portraits/photographs in general.

alsocass
22-02-2013, 12:37am
I think my photos have gotten worse since I set about learning to photograph well.... but I suspect it is just that my goggles have been removed and I can now see all the errors in photos that I would have previously thought so highly of.

Have a look back through all your old photos... Could it be that you have just become better at critically evaluating your photos?

ricktas
22-02-2013, 7:48am
Now for some self assessment and feedback to us Lisa. Look at your photos critically and tell us why you think your photography is going backwards. Tell us what YOU see is wrong with these photos.

sharpness
composition
Lighting/exposure
white balance

What is it about these photos that makes you think they are worse than your previous efforts? Self assessment, done well and with honesty can by your best friend. But doing it takes practice and understanding of both what you were hoping to achieve and what you did achieve and knowing what is different.

Looking forward to hearing why YOU think your work is getting worse, and not in general terms, I want you to assess yourself and tell us specifically.

Cage
22-02-2013, 11:49am
Hi Lisa

For starters, other than the B&W, I find all the other backgrounds have distractions.

I know from personal experience that I can become so absorbed with my subject that I sometimes forget to look at what is behind it, and how it may affect the overall result.

LisaNicholson
22-02-2013, 2:31pm
Ok, here is my self evaluation:

1 - I definitely agree with trublubiker (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/member.php?8716-trublubiker) re background distractions, some of the images from this shoot were awful, there were cars, wheelie bins (eek!), and other distracting items, this is one of the learnings I took from this shoot for future reference.

2 - Sharpness. This is something I continue to struggle with. In the image of the little girl her eyes are quite dark and do not 'draw you in'. This is something I really admire in portrait photography but struggle to achieve in my own.

3 - light! I am getting better at reading light sources, but still struggle somewhat. I planned this shoot at 3.30pm (around 3 hours before sunset) because I thought that the light would be soft enough by this time, but it wasn't at all. Most of the shots from my first set were blown out exposure wise and needed to be adjusted in Adobe Camera Raw. My lecturer continues to enforce that we should be aiming for excellent images in camera, with minimum post processing needed. I find that I almost always need to adjust the white balance and exposure post shoot, it is really frustrating. Until now I have only been using the in-camera light meter and I have been told by a few people that these are not always reliable. I also shoot with a grey card but sometimes feel my images still look quite blue even after doing a customer white balance. Prior to digital photography, photographers needed to make these calculations in their heads, I really want to learn how to do this.

4 - finally, composition. I am never happy with it. I want to be able to take 'candid' style shots but struggle to catch 'the moment' while also taking into consideration the moving subject, white balance, metering, etc... During a lecture on Monday night, by Program Director told us a story of when he shot Richard Branson, he was given 30 seconds to take the shot - literally! A woman stood behind him with a stopwatch! This thought terrified me, media + documentary & portrait photography are my favourite genres of this wonderful craft and I know how important it is to be able to 'catch the moment'. I know that composition is such an important element in photography, but find sometimes it is the last thing I think of when I am about to click the trigger, and by then it's too late -the moment is lost :(

ricktas
22-02-2013, 2:40pm
2. you are mixing up sharpness and shadowing. The little girl has the light not in her eyes, as the dark areas around here eyes (under her eye-brows) and under her nose show. The darkness here is a composition issue. if you want your subject to have nice bright eyes you need to light them either by getting her to sit at a different angle to the sun/light, or introduce light to 'fill' in the dark areas. I would also guess that you have edited this photo to soften her skin etc, and thus you need to mask out any softening from areas like eyes to keep the sharpness in them.

3. Light can be very harsh in Australia, try shooting your subjects in full shade, where you can adjust the exposure at the time of shooting. Learn about fill light, using reflectors, or flash.

4. Composition is a learned skill, not only for the photographer but with portraiture, the subject as well. You need to look at others portrait photography and when you like something, study the angles, the way the people are positioned, body angles, head angles, whether the photographer is high, low, at eye level etc. This is a skill that comes with time, and along with your own skill at finding the compositions you have to become comfortable at directing and explaining to your subject(s) how you want them. "please turn your whole body to the right, now look back over your shoulder, lift your chin slightly and tilt your head to the right a fraction", etc. As well as being a photographer, portraiture is also about being the director.

Also remember that turning your camera on its end is called 'portrait aspect' for a reason. Sometimes landscape aspect cuts things off that would be better off included.

ricktas
22-02-2013, 2:49pm
Also, have a look at this PDF (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/staff/Rick/posing.pdf) for some posing ideas!

ameerat42
22-02-2013, 3:18pm
Still, reading the above, I think that your struggle is more perceived than real. There is a certain amount you can achieve in camera, sure!
But not all shots - nor a majority of them - will get by without some PP. I don't know how much of the word "excellent" you could apply to a
"mostly in-camera shot". Composition and exposure and focus, maybe. Colours and tones, less so, and often much less so. I think the frustration you cite
over "white balance and exposure post shoot" may be mostly uncalled-for. The spectre of what pre-digital photographers supposedly did is mostly
a myth. Such people had means at their disposal to set some control over exposure and white balance, light exposure meters, properly balanced film, filters to balance
other light sources. And in the end, they did a bit of PP in darkrooms and in colour filtration.

About candid shots. How many moments pass that you never get to photograph? I would suggest that there is no such thing as "the moment".
To try to chase such could result in much dismay. There are "moments", and you can only hope to catch "a moment" at best.

Try to divest yourself of too many other less-relevant concerns in your pursuit of a moment. In a given time period the lighting conditions may remain fairly constant.
You may need to learn how to judge any variations and make some compensation. For example, most of my daytime shots are taken in manual mode with ISO200, f/11, 1/320 sec.
In deeper shade, or with brighter objects, I usually make a quick change to f-stop and/or shutter speed. Mostly I just concentrate on focusing, and that takes up most of the effort, as I
don't bother much with AF.

And now, before you think I'm trying to negate your lecturer's advice, let me assure you I am not. I am trying to suggest that you may be taking what he says
somewhat out of context and worrying about your perceived shortcomings too much. This is what I am reading in your last paragraph - point 4 - above.

And now for an anecdote. On someone's profile somewhere I read the likes of, "When I manage to take good photographs I'll stop."

Almost lastly, photographers do not comply with the quantum nature of the universe: they can't be in all places at once!
Lastly, too much introspection can be a distraction.

PS: PP certainly has its place, although I guess you're talking more about candid photography. Look at some of the landscapes by
William and dtoh here.

pixy
22-02-2013, 3:56pm
Lisa I have been through the same process in many of my hobbies you will progress to a stage,as you have realised, then seem to go back-wards it is the nature of the beast,just as you think you are getting there you will go backward but from there you will gain a better understanding of of what you are not doing right, and progress to a higher level,this will happen time and time again, the only way forward is to practise, and listen to people around you with the same interests,some of the information will not work for you but you must listen and dissect it.

You have in your signature that you don't want your photos edited,this puts you at a disadvantage,there are a lot of very good photographers on this site if they could edit your work you will be amazed at what a few tweaks can do for you,

I have looked at your photos the first of the young girl is soft,slightly out of focus,this can be made better by some sharpening and maybe lightening up a little.

The fourth one could be improved by cropping out the house in the background,making it a pano,or crop the top and sides.

Just my opinion Jack.

Shelley
24-02-2013, 5:16pm
I highly recommend you go back to basic composition rules - examples such as, get the eyes of the person around the intersecting lines - one third the person, two thirds space (nicely out of focus background etc. ), leading lines in your shots. Once you start doing this, you will find you then start getting a feel for it and then you can be more artistic and break the rules.

Concentrate on one thing at time when practising until you get it down pat. I concentrated for ages on backgrounds of my people shots, now its second nature, I then moved onto posing (boy that was hard), but now I see things without even thinking about it. Like Rick said, always looking at other people's work and deconstructing their shots to see what they did.

Lance B
24-02-2013, 5:36pm
I highly recommend you go back to basic composition rules - examples such as, get the eyes of the person around the intersecting lines - one third the person, two thirds space (nicely out of focus background etc. ), leading lines in your shots. Once you start doing this, you will find you then start getting a feel for it and then you can be more artistic and break the rules.

Concentrate on one thing at time when practising until you get it down pat. I concentrated for ages on backgrounds of my people shots, now its second nature, I then moved onto posing (boy that was hard), but now I see things without even thinking about it. Like Rick said, always looking at other people's work and deconstructing their shots to see what they did.

I have to agree with Shelley as I think she has hit the nail on the head with her suggestion. Sage advice.

Also, remember, memory is chaep so just keep firing off shots at different apertures and compositions and focal lengths and see which ones work, you can always delete them! I can go out on a photoshoot and take 400+ images and if I end up with 6 images that I am truly happy with, then I think I have had a good day!

geoffsta
26-02-2013, 7:55am
It's been said a couple of times already. Your excelling in theory, but not so good in practice.
Two ways to fix the problem.
1. Place you shots in the CC forum, and ask "How can I fix this"
2. You live in the TOG capital of Aus (Queensland) They have plenty of meetups. And if you can't get to one, look for a member that lives close by. Comment on some of his/her images. Then do a suck job and ask if you could meet. Like me, you could end up with a few new life long friends.

Like many extremely intelligent people, like doctors, lawyers and teachers. They can tell you exactly how things work. But wouldn't know how to change a tyre, or what a spanner is. Some things you need to see how it is done yourself, before getting the idea of how it works.

extraball
26-02-2013, 8:27am
I reckon that beginners become too critical of their own work too early. Everyone of those shots are acceptable for a beginner, dare I say excellent. Backgrounds are important, and that is also something that I am only just starting to consider. Some of us beginners, maybe most of us compare our work to those of the intermediates, and advanced members, which just isn't fair upon ourselves. These guys have been learning/honing their skills our many years, maybe decades! I dont know what gear your using, but typically beginners start with entry level cameras. Have a look at the exifs of the better photographers photos, they are using far better gear than beginners generally do. Guess what I am saying is.........you cant rush it, and don't be too critical of your work :cool:

NIKONMAN
26-02-2013, 9:16am
I have had a passion for photography my whole life, or for as long as I can remember anyway. In October last year I decided to follow my passion and enrolled into a Dip. Photoimaging with a Design College in Brisbane. After one term, I am sad to say that I feel my work has gotten worse! I was completely unhappy with a recent photo shoot I did for a friend and I have been trying to review my images to workout what it is I don't like about them, but I can't figure it out! I just don't like them. I am so determined to become a successful, and talented photographer - capturing the images I visualise, but I am really starting to doubt myself. Can anyone please recommend some valuable learning sites where I can work harder to improve my photography, or provide advice on how to become a better photographer - I am starting to lose faith in myself :(

Sometimes your outlook changes, the way you see things changes and even your mental accuity can change over time, kinda like how you may not like a flavour but then years later you really love the same flavour .I have found that as you grow in your photography your 'taste' in images can change, what stimulates your imagination can change over time also but this opens up new avenues to explore which is great.
Photography is a blend of disciplines but is foremost an artform and as with any artform it relies on emotive input and inspiration which comes from within yourself so that it often relies on how you feel at any given time in order to inspire or motivate you.I think trying to use your art to generate income or achieve a degree etc changes the whole dynamic of why you love photography in the first place and therefore it changes your motivation from personal pleasure & enjoyment into something competitive where you are trying to use the art to achieve a result ( passing an exam,making money etc) and once this dynamic has changed you begin putting pressure on yourself to 'perform' or 'achieve' regardless of whether you feel inspired & motivated to go out and image a particular subject.
Your comment about how determined you are to be successful & talented is very telling because it illustrates that your motivation is not photographic art but success.Talent is not something which can be learned either, it again comes from within and I believe you either have it or you don't depending on how you are 'wired' trying to learn talent would be very frustrating and I've seen people make up for lack of talent with hard work but it doesn't seem to be very fulfilling for those people and of course remember with any art form beauty is in the eye of the beholder-all art is subjective, so who is to say what is 'good' & what isn't.
My advice is have a good look at some of the world's great artists like Van Gogh or Rembrandt, look at their lives & see their motivation, see the innate obsession with realising their artistic vision regardless of any perceived success or material gain and then ask yourself what your artistic vision is with photography, what really stimulates & motivates you? The only way you'll get satisfaction from your chosen artform is if you are true to your own unique vision and pursue that vision for yourself, follow your passion and the rest will follow.
Finally, don't force yourself to try and perform photography it should be enjoyable & stimulating for you-good luck.

Chollo
26-02-2013, 12:17pm
I know how you feel. But never ever loose faith. I joined recently and am still to post a photo. But I will by weeks end.

LisaNicholson
27-02-2013, 1:06am
Thanks Geoff, what is TOG?

ricktas
27-02-2013, 6:19am
Thanks Geoff, what is TOG?

Tog is slang for PhoTOGgrapher

MissionMan
27-02-2013, 6:38am
Irrespective of getting better or worse, it's important to realize that creativity is a also a process of getting things wrong. I'd almost be inclined to argue that you cannot be creative without making mistakes because if you're not making mistakes, you're not venturing outside of your comfort zone. Unfortunately, we always only see the good of professional photographers so we have a distorted view of their progression. Very few photographers will post the errors and what it took to get the final result of their experimentation.

I'd also consider what is happening at the moment. You are going through changes in your technique which is likely to impact the way you work. I'd argue in a similar way that if you rebuild anything (like a professional golfer rebuilding their golf swing) you will always get worse before you get better because part of the process is correcting basic errors as a foundation to improving your photography as a whole. It's only once these changes become natural that you can start to apply them. In short, when you start applying learned technique, you tend to over think the process from a technical perspective and your natural creative process takes a bit of a back seat.

I'd also suggestion you look at a video from Ted talks from Ken Robinson which covers similar aspects about how we are often taught out of creativity at school by being taught that being wrong or making mistakes is bad. It does put a good perspective on how arts in the school system is lacking.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

Fedgrub
27-02-2013, 12:27pm
Your photos aren't bad, but they could do with some of the advice that people have shared in this thread. You might also want to be careful not to choose to keep photos where the subject's eyes are closed. It's not the best look! :p

arthurking83
28-02-2013, 3:49pm
Also don't over do the saturation slider either.

Be sure that your screen corresponds to prints that you produce as well, or get it calibrated, but I find the three images on the right are all too saturated.

The woman, sitting with the man and then again with the three guys looks like she's sunburned to a crisp!.... way too red in complexion.
Of course she may well have an extremely red complexion, but it looks more like saturation boost, rather than a natural colour.

stacewyllie
04-03-2013, 8:54pm
I understand completely how you feel! Am feeling a little nervous myself being that I'm starting a Dip. PhotoImaging in a few weeks (also with a Design School in Brisbane :p).

"Just keep swimming" is something I tell myself a lot!

surfie1
14-03-2013, 11:03pm
Also, have a look at this PDF (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/staff/Rick/posing.pdf) for some posing ideas!
Thanks for sharing the posing ideas are great

fadiya
17-04-2013, 4:03pm
Thanks GOD for this post.... I understand how you feel. Lately I start to really (I mean really really really) hate all of my recent pictures. I stop taking picture and had to take out the battery out of my camera (I read somewhere that the battery should not been in the camera if the camera has not been used for quite awhile). Take a look at my camera bag and well.... it covered with dust... no i'm not proud of this...

Guess I just need to take a lot of steps back and start from the beginning again.:D

William
17-04-2013, 5:04pm
Hi Fadiya, My tip is to charge up the battries, I've been like this and it's amazing what you can shoot in your backyard , Bugs , Flowers , Wet leaves , Butterflies etc, It's all there in your own home , Trey some portraits with the family , They are usually willing to help , I'm out every week day morning , All year and I also get in the doldrums (Especially after losing a camera) But I persevere and come out the other end most times with good shots :) Pick up the camera and start clicking :th3:- Bill

Mark L
18-04-2013, 9:12pm
I just posted this somewhere else, but think it may be of some use to you also Fadiya.

If you're looking for a reason to take a photo of something different each week, feel free to join in this years weekly challenge ........ http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...lenges-52-2013
Pretty friendly feedback happens there and it can get you thinking about your photography.
The list of themes for the year is here .... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-Weekly-themes
If you get time, have a look at some of the past themes and see the different perspective some of the stranger members have!:)

Sdison
19-04-2013, 10:53am
One quick, practical tip I can give after looking at your photos is that all of those shots angle down towards the subjects. Perhaps you could try dropping to your knee or crouching to get some of these shots - the one on the top right could benefit particularly from this. With the child's face looking down at the front, it doesn't leave much room for his expression or features to be revealed.

During the photos I take in my day job, I found that by dropping down I was able to capture more (I'm quite tall at nearly 190cm) and not look like I was bearing down on people, which gave me much nicer results. I guess the key is to be at the level of your subject as much as possible, and shooting form above or below when you want a creative effect.

I also disagree with the comments made by others about saturation - I think they look great. And the photo on the top left is brilliant. I love her facial expression and I like how it is softly focused with the light adding a glow from behind. It's great.

Steve Axford
21-04-2013, 7:49pm
I like the top middle photo, though it could perhaps do with a lower fstop. It tells a story and all of the background adds to it. It just needs the subject (the front boy) to stand out a bit more and the background figures become more blurred. The others are normal photos which rely on catching good expressions. That takes practice and luck.