PDA

View Full Version : Camera bag for a small person...

Miyuki
13-02-2013, 10:20pm
Hi everyone!

I am in need of a new camera bag, as my current one only holds a camera + 1 lens, and it is way too small to put anything else (like my ipad or wallet...).

I am only 163 cm with small body frame.
I currently have Nikon D7000 and standard/wide angle/macro lenses, and I will have my father's telephoto lenses in the future. I'd like to bring 2 lenses and a tripod (2kg) with me when I go somewhere, but I have to be able to lift them up.
It'd be nice if I could put my mobile phone and wallet in the same bag as well.

Any suggestion for a little person?

Thanks in advance :)

Mary Anne
14-02-2013, 1:00am
I am going to suggest you go into a couple of camera shops and look at the backpacks and try them on your small frame body.
You can always buy it on line later once you know what is comfortable for you..

ricktas
14-02-2013, 6:09am
Agree with Mary Anne. Go to a camera store and check them out, the range of bag options is huge! Take with you the things you want to be able to fit in the bag and try them.

mikec
15-02-2013, 1:44pm
I agree with Rick and Mary Anne, but also think about how far / long you'll be walking with you gear.

If you do longer walks with your gear you might perfer a backpack as opposed to a shoulder / sling bag. A 2kg tripod gets heavy if it's only supported on a shoulder bag.

Miyuki
16-02-2013, 4:04am
Thank you for your suggestions Mary Anne, ricktas, and mikec.

I've been tossing between a sling bag and a backpack. More I think about it, a backpack seems like a better option :)

2kg tripod is heavy to me....I always get tempted to go somewhere without a tripod for the weight reason, but then I don't have enough muscles to hold my camera still :(

Out of interest...Is 2kg considered heavy for a tripod? Or is it standard?

ameerat42
16-02-2013, 3:15pm
In my opinion, that tripod is about mid-range as far as tripod types go. I have one that's ~1/2Kg, and another that about the same as yours. But I've seen quite a few others, both heavier AND lighter.
Does yours need to be that heavy (like, what is it supporting)?

Over the shoulder is DEFinitely short term and in desperation with such gear.
Am.

Mary Anne
16-02-2013, 4:27pm
A small backpack should be fine just make sure the back straps are wide and padded.. I have a Lowpro mini trekker for on board luggage
You would not need one that size.. I can walk around the Airports with it on but I could not walk in the great outdoors with 7kg on my back
I would not be using all that gear on a days outing.. Yes forget about the shoulder bags mine sits in the wardrobe..

Miyuki
16-02-2013, 6:25pm
In my opinion, that tripod is about mid-range as far as tripod types go. I have one that's ~1/2Kg, and another that about the same as yours. But I've seen quite a few others, both heavier AND lighter.
Does yours need to be that heavy (like, what is it supporting)?

Over the shoulder is DEFinitely short term and in desperation with such gear.
Am.

To be honest, I don't own a big telephoto lens, so it doesn't have to be that heavy :p
I've been putting up with its weight because it is only tripod I own.
Second tripod may not be a bad idea if I want to do a bit more traveling :)

A shoulder bag is definitely out now.

Thank you for your Suggestion Am :)

- - - Updated - - -

A small backpack should be fine just make sure the back straps are wide and padded.. I have a Lowpro mini trekker for on board luggage
You would not need one that size.. I can walk around the Airports with it on but I could not walk in the great outdoors with 7kg on my back
I would not be using all that gear on a days outing.. Yes forget about the shoulder bags mine sits in the wardrobe..

Yes, I won't need a big backpack...I wouldn't be able to carry that many gears all day.
It seems like a small backpack is the way to go.
I'll have a look at them at shop.

Thank you for your helpful suggestion Mary Anne :)