PDA

View Full Version : Living in Western Sydney question (Penrith area)

Warus
12-02-2013, 12:58pm
Hopefully this is ok to post in this area of the forum. We are possibly looking at moving back to Sydney due to family reasons. I haven't lived down there for 12 or so years so I'm not 100% sure what areas are like. We were looking around Narellan but travel to possible work location is a killer so we are also looking at the possibly of Glenmore Park near Penrith and was hoping there were members from this area that can tell me what it's like. Safe? Good Schools? etc Good and bad. Are there other decent suburbs around Penrith to look at?

wheellathe
12-02-2013, 2:13pm
Glenmore Park sprung up over night its got everthing that you might want, BUT because it sprung up over night all the young'uns will be turning 16 on the same day ( could be interesting ) access in and out is at Mulgoa and Northern RD so you've only got 2 places to leave from which is sometimes a pain in the mornings. Honestly mate have a look at Leonay. The school (primary) is great.Blaxland High school is on top of Lapstone which is a bus ride away. If you are working in Sydney car travel time is APPROX 1.5 hrs. PM me if you need more info

ving
12-02-2013, 2:32pm
every area has its ups and downs... I live in St Helens Park, south eastern campbelltown. my area is quiet generally but like any place that has kids you are going to get some riff raff. within a few suburbs we have ambarvale, airds, claymore and further afield minto and macquarie fields. all of these have had press at some stage but none of it really effects me or my immediate surrounds. any new area is going to be full of young families and youth and the problems that come with that.

Warus
12-02-2013, 3:14pm
Thanks guys. I know the Campbelltown area quite well as my family and my wife's family is from there. We were looking at Narellan/ Mt Annan but the travel would be over 2 hours a day which is not ideal in my book as I'm used to my country commute! We are just canvassing areas in which we could actually afford to buy a house in a reasonable distance from Westmead and Campbelltown (work and family) and came up with Glenmore Park.

Mark L
13-02-2013, 8:06pm
:eek:The thought of moving back to Sydney.:eek:
My sister and BIL have lived in Glenmore Park for about a decade. They like it. They both work in Penrith. They also live close to The Northern RD, on a corner opposite a park, so not as claustrophobic as some parts. Guess that's the message, being used to the country, you'll find some places there acceptable, and some horrible. Think there's a whole new area been opened up on it's west side that backs onto bush and farms.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Wayne
13-02-2013, 8:39pm
The few times I have had to venture to Glenmore Pk and it's rabbit warren of roads is enough to turn me off living there. I would get lost getting in/out everyday.
It's grown alot in recent years there though.

AVALANCHE
15-02-2013, 12:00am
Hi Warus,

I grew up about 20 minutes away from Penrith until I was 26 years old (I live in the City now) in Agnes Banks on about six acres (maybe a bit longer).

The Good:

+ Peace and Quiet, nature all around you, magnificent view of the Blue Mountains...you'll likely buy acreage if you live in Castlereagh or Agnes Banks.
+ Both areas are excellent for raising families.
+ Neighbours are rarely/never an issue with noise or anything else similar that suburban houses may face.
+ You'll likely buy/rent a beautiful home that is 4-7 bedroom...some are even 9-10.
+ You are only 50 minutes drive from the CBD and I can get in with facing only two sets of traffic lights along the way. The traffic is light heading away from the city in the morning, and busy on the way in the morning. In the afternoon, it is busy on the way out and light on the way in...something to keep in mind. The M2 is the fastest way in via. Richmond and Blacktown rd.
+ Depending where you buy, you could end up on the back of a nature reserve like what my parents are...so plenty of Photographic opportunities.
+ Only a minute or so drive away from Yarramundi Reserve. Nice spot for some photos too.
+ Only 5 or so minutes drive from Richmond. About 20 to Penrith if you need a large Shopping centre.

The bad:

- Expect to pay anywhere between $1.5m to $50m for a place depending on the size of the house and land. Might be able to buy cheaper if you get into a cul-de-sac. Next door sold for $2m+ and that was for 4 acres with the property at the back pretty beat up from the horses and a Shiek bought out quite a bit of land for the $50m price tag up the road.
- Public transport is non-existant!
- There are no shops.
- If you don't have a car, expect the walk to Richmond to take 3-4 hours at a time one way.
- You really feel the cold in the Winter, and the heat in the Summer.
- Loads of racists still exist out West in general. No offence, but if you are Asian or dark skinned you will be on the back foot. I copped the 'wog' bashing talk growing up...and still did in my early 20's from total strangers even though I did nothing wrong! Hasn't ever happened to me in the City!!

Overall, I'd say Agnes Banks and Castlereagh are excellent.

Other places to consider;

Glemore Park, Mulgoa, South Penrith, Blacktown (it has improved a lot), McGraths Hill (near Windsor), Camden.

Hope this helps.

Warus
15-02-2013, 11:13am
Thanks for all the input. That is a bit out of my price range :p And yes Mark moving back to Sydney is a bit :eek: but both our families are there and there is zero chance of getting them all to move out here unfortunately. I like Camden as it's closest to what I'm used too here but commuting would be a killer.