PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

PhotoPaul
10-02-2013, 6:01pm
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted anything as I've just been too busy with work.

Speaking of work, I've been wondering what's involved in being an assistant to a pro photographer? I'm just looking for info as the field interests me, yet I have no idea on what is involved and what would be expected of me in terms of both duties and qualifications, or equipment.

I'll be the first to admit I'm nowhere near the level of a working photographer, however I'd love the chance to work with one even it were just on a casual basis setting up and pulling down sets. Exposure to the industry would drive my interest.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. This is not an immediate thing, just a curiosity thing at the moment.

Cheers all,
-Paul

ricktas
10-02-2013, 6:06pm
You need to start by getting your photography and skills up.

Remember that if a Pro is looking for an assistant, they are going to give the job to the person who has the best skills. If you apply along with 10 others you have to be better than those other 10. So get about taking photos at every chance you get, work on your editing skills as well. You have to make yourself attractive as an employment prospect to a Pro.

PhotoPaul
10-02-2013, 8:53pm
Cheers Rick. I'm having a hard time getting the time to get out there at the moment, but I'm still keen to do so :)

I suppose I should have asked what IS involved in being an assistant? :confused013

ricktas
10-02-2013, 9:00pm
What is involved in being an assistant.

1. being able to take directions
2. being a good photographer
3. being able to give direction
4. being good at post processing
5. being good at making coffee
6. being good at promotion and marketing
7. being willing to try new things
8. being willing to say 'i don't know how to do that, can you show me?'
9. being willing to do menial stuff, cleaning up the studio, holding a reflector in place, lugging gear around..all day, etc
10. being willing to learn and absorb a lot of knowledge.
11. being prompt (on time), courteous and cheerful, even under trying circumstances

and more

AVALANCHE
10-02-2013, 9:23pm
Hi Paul,

Nice to see another from Richmond! My parents live near there, I visit weekly as I live in the city. :)

Firstly, as Ricktas has mentioned, you'll want to build up your skill level to the point you can comfortably adjust the camera on the spot to suit the needs of the situation.

Adding on to Ricktas...do things without being told. (eg - Grab the strobe light stand for the main shooter when moving to another location without being told to). If at a Wedding, help the Grandmas put on their Brooch if they appear to be struggling. Get lots of candid shots as possible with people celebrating with drinks, kids playing etc. as more often than not the candid shots are what make the most interesting shots for the customer. Treat them the same way you would a posed/formal shot...meaning, take it seriously and look for moments. Never stand around doing nothing, always seek to help someone out somehow, even if it isn't related to your work directly...the customers will appreciate your Pro's business as having great service, and if it helps the Pro, it will most likely mean repeat work for you too.

johndom
12-02-2013, 3:29pm
Another useful skill is only being told once- keep the ipad close, first lens is 50mm, have a big backlight. It is a pain repeating yourself every shot.

PhotoPaul
12-02-2013, 10:38pm
Thanks guys, that's very insightful and inspiring. All things I'd love to do one day. Time to get the skills up first ;)

Cheers!

Avalanche: Nice to meet someone who knows there is more out west than Mt Druitt and Penrith!

Ronnysimulacrum
16-03-2013, 4:02pm
Nice advice ricktas

9. being willing to do menial stuff, cleaning up the studio, holding a reflector in place, lugging gear around..all day, etc
11. being prompt (on time), courteous and cheerful, even under trying circumstances

and more

- - - Updated - - -

Nice advice ricktas

and more

achee
16-03-2013, 7:32pm
I think different photographers are looking for different things in their assistants. You might need to keep a sharp eye out for details in a scene that need fixing - stray hair, collar needs fixing, something in the background needs moving, cushions need 'fluffing up.' You might be expected to shoot, you might not. I think full-time studio assistants don't shoot, they assist.