PDA

View Full Version : Nikon R1C1 or Metz Macro Flash?

ka734
10-02-2013, 11:31am
Have been very itchy for one of these flash light have anyone got or any reviews of these flashes (Pro/Cons)?:flowersnap:

I @ M
10-02-2013, 11:45am
Another member here and reasonably close neighbour to us has the Nikon unit.
It comes as a complete set, works extremely well and can be bought from site advertisers DWI & B&H at a very good price.

The one thing that you need to keep in mind is the diameter of the filter thread that your macro lens has, the Metz kit looks as though it comes with a limited size range of adapter rings.

ka734
10-02-2013, 12:16pm
macro len i had is 105mm nikon f2.8,i had along think about the R1C1 but the down size is that i think the wireless flash unit take small battery not sure what size...i think is one of those remote control battery for your garage doors.

arthurking83
10-02-2013, 12:33pm
Don't know anything about any Metz macro flash(I'm assuming the 15 MS1 :confused013).
It's specs look quite interesting. Does wireless flash .. ie. for Nikon is i-TTL/CLS compatible.

I guess some of the advantages in having the Nikon flash system would be:

* ability to add more lights in future if you see this as a possible situation.
ie. it comes with two SBR-200's, but you could easily add two more(or more!!) for better light control and power.

* independently control the power of each flash head. You get four channels to play with(and more if you use groups) so you can vary the power to one flash head over another.

* It's Nikon so setup should(in theory) be more simple.

One advantage in having the Metz, could be cross compatibility!
That is, if you ever acquire yourself a non Nikon camera system(and it has wireless flash features), then the Metz would operate on the wireless flash system.
Note tho that I can't find the product manual to see if this is actually possible. I'm assuming that the wireless compatibility feature is either a menu item, or automatically configured.

What model camera?
While you have specifically stated the R1C1 Nikon close-up flash, depending on your camera, you may not actually need the SU-800 commander module!
In fact, for the price, you'd be much better off without it anyhow, and invest the extra money($300-400ish) on a SB-700, or even a SB900/910 instead. This way you have the option for use as a commander only, and the use of the light output of the flash head.
In some very rare instances the SU-800 should provide much more accurate or better control of the remote flashes, but these conditions are rare and quite possibly dangerous anyhow(strong IR light).

That is, you're much better off with a flash as the commander.

But if you have a camera body capable of wireless flash control as a commander, then you don't need a controlling unit at all.

ie. any upper end consumer/pro camera from the D70 and up will act as a wireless commander for Nikon's wireless flash system.
I don't think the D5200 does this(haven't checked it's full feature list yet) but a D70, D80, D90, D7K, D100/200/300 .. etc will all do onboard wireless commander duties quite well, but in saying this, the quality of the light output from the onboard flash could be questionable. Some of those cameras will you to set the onboard flash as 'commander only' and hence with no output.

But if you had the R1C1 listed as an option, and therefore the price it commands within your budget, I'd highly recommend that you get the R1 system and a late model speedlight to go with it :th3:

Metz looks good, but I'd say only if you regularly use various camera systems.

As for lens thread adapters, the Metz seems to have all that you'd ever need. While I don't know of any macro lens that has a 77mm filter thread size .. you just never know when you may need this.
Metz does up to 72mm and Nikon up to 77mm natively, but I'd say that 77mm for the Metz shouldn't be a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

SBR-200's use CR123A batteries, and while they're not so common, they're not all that rare either .. you just need to be prepared.

You can get rechargeable RCR123a batteries too .. a bit expensive, but probably worth it if you choose the Nikon unit.
To start with tho, a pair of lithium CR123's(about $10 ea) will last you quite a long time.

I suppose another advantage for the Metz .. battery choices! :p

ka734
10-02-2013, 12:48pm
Thanks for your advise...im using D800 n had a Sb900 so R1 is the way to go ?Sorry for all those noob questions as i hardly use flash for all me picture taking and i think it time for me to learn how to use them properly..:o

Wayne
10-02-2013, 1:34pm
R1C1 for the reasons noted above. Not sure of the Metz does iTTL, but it is hand when outdoors.

arthurking83
10-02-2013, 7:07pm
...... Not sure of the Metz does iTTL....

Yep! .... as already stated above