PDA

View Full Version : Uncredited Use Of My Photograph

Maezyra
08-02-2013, 8:26pm
Dear APers,

I'm not "in the business" nor do I have any interest in entering the industry at this stage, but I am doing photo shoots for fun at the moment. Late last year I did a photo shoot for my friend who is a belly dancer and wanted some promo shots to get her new dance class up off the ground. The other night, she called me and asked if she could use my photo in a newspaper article. It was discussed that I would receive credit in the newspaper and that it was fine for them to use my photograph for the story, nothing further required. The article came out today and no credit. My friend has claimed that she requested this of the newspaper and they did not follow through. Do you have any advice about how to contact them about this oversight?

Thank you in advance,

Erin

Mark L
08-02-2013, 9:13pm
The printed paper has come and gone, however.
Is the article and photo on their web page? If so, have you been give attribution?

Maezyra
08-02-2013, 10:15pm
The printed paper has come and gone, however.
Is the article and photo on their web page? If so, have you been give attribution?

I haven't actually seen the printed paper - It's a local paper and not in my area. I have seen the online version and no, nothing there to attribute the picture to me.

Wayne
08-02-2013, 10:44pm
Forget the paper, chances of them printing an apology and attribution is slim, however assert your moral rights for the online image if it is still there. They may simply remove it if they feel it's too much trouble.

Warbler
08-02-2013, 10:47pm
Had the same thing happen to me a while ago. APN attributed it in the print version, which I didn't see, and left it off the on-line version. Right to them and ask them to fix the on-line version.

ricktas
09-02-2013, 6:40am
Not uncommon and if you do contact them they will tell you 'oops, oversight during printing' etc. It happens way to often with the print media to be an ''oops'. I am sure they do it on purpose and know that once the paper is published and gone, that there is no point in asking them to fix it. But agree, contact them re the online version.

It is also worthwhile letting them know that if they ever use the photo again, it has to be attributed.

How often do you see articles with photo that says 'file photo' or similar. This means it is a photo from their archives that they just drag up and use again. Cause most papers have a clause written somewhere that any photo submitted is kept and they reserve the rights to use it in future.

Maezyra
09-02-2013, 7:59pm
Okay, thanks everyone!! I'll discuss this with them on Monday. I was expecting "Oops, oversight" to be their answer... And I think you're right, Rick, that they seem to do this on purpose. Thanks for the advice about future use of the photo too. Seems silly, really - It's not even one of my best photos!