PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it amazing how social networks can affect people..

andrewvid
03-02-2013, 11:13pm
So as some of you are aware of Instagram, it is a great all. Well at least from a teen photographers point of view. There's many people on there who take photography seriously and present them for the world to see.

Though, it's not until recently that a friend of mine in New York reported that her friend had gone missing. Someone who I was 'following' and took some quality shots. About a week later, thousands of people including me, posted a picture of her and her details saying please return and so on. This eventually made it to the Turkish news which was the country she was last heard from.

As people searched and the NYC investigators looked for answers.. It was too late.
just yesterday, there were reports of the findings of her body. It really is such sad news.

now what amazes me the most, is the power of these devices that we carry around. Just a small community of people who posted the same photos, which then lead it to thousands of people posting it and eventually leading it to be on the news. That is power. It's people power. It's definitely something that some of us take granted for and don't notice the power the Internet has. It can be very useful but not to forget can be very unforgiving.

R.I.P Sarai Sierra. One great photographer, Will be missed.

Mathy
04-02-2013, 12:04am
Sorry for your loss, and I see she had 2 children :( Many people (including me) like to bash FB/Twitter etc., but they are extremely useful tools for communication and spreading the word very quickly. There are many instances where social networking sites have saved the lives of both people and pets - in various scenarios, or has been a very viable communication tool in times of disaster. However, instant communications can mean the bad news is up front, close and personal very quickly. These sites are typically the domain of young people, who can find themselves confronted by a loss they feel deeply, sometimes when they have no face to face support on hand.

I don't know how I'd feel if I found bad news about someone I knew via a social networking page, I can't imagine it's a whole lot of fun. I assume (wrongly or rightly) that you do have someone at home to talk to, but if you don't, then please call a good friend and have a chat to them - in other words, don't be sad and hang onto that sadness by yourself, cheers Deb

ricktas
04-02-2013, 6:09am
Sorry to hear about your friend. I saw that on one of the News webpages I visit.

I agree that social networks can be very effective for a whole variety of reasons, but for the very same reasons, they can be dangerous as well. Used properly and with a level of social decorum, etiquette and with thoughts to general standards they can be great tools.

andrewvid
04-02-2013, 7:42am
Thanks Deb and Rick,

They really are powerful tools if used the right way and indeed it has been used to save numerous amounts of people and pets.
It is a funny world we live in..

I'm all good and have support, Thanks Deb.