PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on business cards, please

Analog6
03-02-2013, 11:30am
I am planning to get some clear plastic business cards done for when I go doing surf shots,a s I have often been asked, but iof course surfers can't tuck a normal card in their pocket! Here are 3 options so far, and I am going through my surf shots again.

I love the golden sunrise one, but of course the one of Mick fanning may be a better choice to hand out to surfers! I'd welcome everyone's opinions please.

I've kept it very smple as of course, being clear plastic, it can only be oprinted on one side. So just the name and web site, which has my email & phne number on it.

Kerrie
03-02-2013, 11:45am
I like the second one.

if it was me I'd remove " landscapes and more" , to obscure the photo less, and have both phone number and website down bottom, and maybe suburb or region I cover.

ricktas
03-02-2013, 11:50am
I agree with Kerrie. Remove Landscapes and more and replace it with Surf and more. i like 'golden surf'

Wobbles
03-02-2013, 11:59am
#3 for me to. Beautiful image. The lighter sky gives better contrast to the text. I'd shop out the bird(?) above the "a" to.

Cheers
John

wanderer51
03-02-2013, 1:55pm
Agree with Rick and John....#3. Nice clean image. As for the bird, I would get rid of it as it doesn't 'add' anything to the card.
Agree with Rick about the text also. If you are only giving the card to Surfers, then 'Surf and more' would be more appropriate.

Jules
03-02-2013, 2:34pm
Sorry slightly OT, but do you need a model release for something like this? I'm never sure about the rules for when you're using someone's likeness for promotion purposes, but not re-sale.

fillum
03-02-2013, 3:40pm
All nice but I think #3 ('Golden Surf') establishes an emotional connection which will work better. I'd just have the web address (or maybe a FB link if you have one) - probably top-right corner. Not saying it's better, just personal preference for the simplest layout.

Good luck with it...

Sifor
03-02-2013, 4:09pm
Golden surf for me definitely...

William
03-02-2013, 4:19pm
Sorry slightly OT, but do you need a model release for something like this? I'm never sure about the rules for when you're using someone's likeness for promotion purposes, but not re-sale.

Dont think so Jules, Most Surfers really like having there shots taken Surfing , All that I know of anyway, Never had one person complain about it (Surfers) that is , Ever , Maybe they just like the publicity they may get :) Anyway public place , I usually ask them there name and email a printable JPG file for them if they want

PS : #2 for me Odille, I always like an off the top of the lip shot :D

Analog6
03-02-2013, 6:28pm
Thank you all for your input. Here is the final version I decided on after considering a lot of comments form here and elsewhere

Jules, as far as I am aware if you are surfing on a public beach you are fair game to photographers. And the pros of course have their photo taken by everybody at events.

Jules
03-02-2013, 7:41pm
Thanks William, Odille. Model releases and the rules around them always stress me out!

And Odille, I think you made the right choice - that shot is the pick of the bunch.

aweiss
06-02-2013, 8:57pm
+1 for the golden card you have selected. I would remove the text (except "Photography by Odille") and put it on the back side! The picture is great ... so I wouldn't use too much text over it. Less is more.

2 more things I would change:

1) I would not write "galleries:" just "www.photographybyodille.com.au".
2) Your email address is "onthenet.com.au" ... why not have a more professional look: "surf@photographybyodille.com.au" or any other email with your own domain.

Who do you use to print the plastic cards? I usually use moo cards which are fantastic quality (but no plastic) - or Vistaprint (which are cheap ... but not that great ... and also no plastic).

Analog6
07-02-2013, 6:30am
+1 for the golden card you have selected. I would remove the text (except "Photography by Odille") and put it on the back side! The picture is great ... so I wouldn't use too much text over it. Less is more.

2 more things I would change:

1) I would not write "galleries:" just "www.photographybyodille.com.au".
2) Your email address is "onthenet.com.au" ... why not have a more professional look: "surf@photographybyodille.com.au" or any other email with your own domain.

Who do you use to print the plastic cards? I usually use moo cards which are fantastic quality (but no plastic) - or Vistaprint (which are cheap ... but not that great ... and also no plastic).

Can't put anything on the back side, these are being printed on clear plastic. They are on clear plastic to give to surfers, as they usually ask me on their way OUT to the surf, and giving them my ordinary paper card wouldn't be too much use? :) Board shorts usually do have pockets, and many have said if only the cards were waterproof. So it is an experiment.

I must look into the emails at my domain, I have just been lazy.

Thanks for the suggestions and taking time to look.

I used the word galleries (I don't on my main business cards) to indicate it is where surfers can find my other surf work.

aweiss
07-02-2013, 3:27pm
Yep ... I love the waterproof plastic card idea ... I would say that is so specific that everyone will keep it anyhow :-) Great idea and very targeted ... maybe print a little joke on the card in really small print ... "Please take this card surfing ... it's waterproof!".

William
07-02-2013, 3:58pm
Hmmm ! , Your right Odille , They do ask on the way out , Had a guy ask me this morning at D/Bah , Look for me on the Red Board :D Lucky he got one of mine as he was just leaving his car, so he walked back and put it in the car , Good idea , Hope you dont patent it :th3:

Analog6
11-02-2013, 5:08am
Hmmm ! , Your right Odille , They do ask on the way out , Had a guy ask me this morning at D/Bah , Look for me on the Red Board :D Lucky he got one of mine as he was just leaving his car, so he walked back and put it in the car , Good idea , Hope you dont patent it :th3:

I'll no doubt see you out and about once they come Bill and you can have one to check out. If their time claim is right I should get them end of this week.

CarlR
12-02-2013, 2:46pm
#3 for me to. Beautiful image. The lighter sky gives better contrast to the text. I'd shop out the bird(?) above the "a" to.

Cheers
John

Or you could move the bird to above the 'i'.

Warbler
27-02-2013, 8:38pm
Who was after waterproof cards? This is part of Click Business Cards. Look like Credit cards in plastic.

http://www.squizcards.com/squiz_cards_home

Steve Axford
01-03-2013, 11:29am
Just a small point. I think the surfers will like #2. It may not be the best from a photographers pov, but you aren't selling to photographers. All good shots by the way.

wideangle
01-03-2013, 12:33pm
Personally not a fan of the typeface used, it get's caught up in the background detail, and printed out that size will be lost even more so. Less is more in typeface, especially something that is selling your name so to speak. Like the gold of the last example you have given.

CapnBloodbeard
04-03-2013, 5:10pm
Get your email address sorted out before you even think of getting these printed: it just screams 'amateur'.

I like shot 3 for the card, but I don't know what a surfer would like.....shots 2 and 3 are definitely the strongest.

Something about the plain typeface for the URL irks me...I also don't think you should include 'galleries' - unless your average surfer is that computer illiterate that it wouldn't occur to him that the photographer's gallery is on the website? :P

The text for the name is a lovely, flowing, classy text.....is that the right approach for surfers? Again, I'm not a surfer so I don't know - but market to your audience.