PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm losing the plot......I'm watching the Wizard of Oz, and thououghly enjoying it.

Cage
02-02-2013, 8:53pm
And I've only seen it about ten times before. :lol2:

And, being the old fart that I am, I can still remember seriously falling in love with Judy Garland when I first saw it in about 1946, when
I was only a whipper-snapper, a mere ankle biter, a rumbustious rug-rat.

And I've only had one tallie too. :beer_mug:

Honestly, only one tallie, even if I can't spell thoroughly correctly. (See heading, why no spell checker there?)

ricktas
02-02-2013, 9:04pm
The vintage movies are the best, even if you are not of the actual vintage involved..though a drink from that vintage could be advantageous

Cage
02-02-2013, 9:05pm
:lol::lol::lol:

geoffsta
02-02-2013, 9:25pm
I could sit through "True Grit" over and over. Big John Wayne fan.

Mark L
02-02-2013, 9:52pm
As we moved from our garden wedding ceremony, to our indoor (next to garden) reception, Judy Garland singing "Somewhere over the rainbow" was played.
We felt like wizards of Oz!
Glad to say, with our vintage extending, there are no wicked witches here, but there's no pot of gold either!:):confused013

Cage
02-02-2013, 9:57pm
As we moved from our garden wedding ceremony, to our indoor (next to garden) reception, Judy Garland singing "Somewhere over the rainbow" was played.
We felt like wizards of Oz!
Glad to say, with our vintage extending, there are no wicked witches here, but there's no pot of gold either!:):confused013

Mark, when I was riding bikes we had a saying. "It's not the destination that's important, it's the journey".

Enjoy the ride !

bobt
02-02-2013, 9:59pm
I've just caught the end of WOO myself, and it brought back memories ...... and I am also one who actually remembers seeing it in the theater! Good movie even if it doesn't have the latest digital effects and whiz bang stuff. There's a lot of old stuff that is still just as enjoyable today even if it is thoroughly dated.

Cage
02-02-2013, 10:24pm
Agree Bob.

It is very 'theatrical' but still most enjoyable, and I forgot how many great songs it had in it.

Lance B
02-02-2013, 10:57pm
You're not losing the plot, mate. Because if you are then I am as well and we can't have that!! :D

The Wizard of Oz is one of those timeless classics that needs to be watched every year or so, IMO.

Like Geoff, I am a bit of a John Wayne fan as well.

Some of the greats which I watch at least once a year.
"Life of Brian" - Monty Python crew. I mean, really, is there a better comedy?
"The Holy Grail" - Second only to Life of Brian by the Python crew.
"Animal Crackers" - Marx Brothers - 1930. Their best witty dialogue, IMO. Up there with Life of Brian for comedic value. Almost every time I watch it, I find another gem of humour.
"The Searchers" - John Wayne. Encompassed all genres, Comedy, Drama, Action, Wonderful cinematography, great music score. One of the best movies ever made , IMO.
"12 Angry Men" - All star cast, all shot in one room and yet it has you spellbound.
"Predator" - One of the best Sci Fi movies ever. "If it bleeds, you can kill it" line from Schwartznegger is a gem.
"The Quiet Man" - John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. Again, encompasses many genres, Comedy, Drama, Action, Wonderful cinematography, great music score.
"A Letter to Three Wives" - Another all star cast, Paul Douglas, Kirk Douglas, Jeanne Crain, Linda Darnell, Jean Sothern. The scene in the kitchen with Paul Douglas, Thelma Ritter and Connie Gilchrist, as the train goes by, is a gem, as is Kirk Douglas's performance at the dinner party. The script is a gem.
"Charade" - Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. Again, encompasses many genres, Comedy, Drama, Action, Wonderful cinematography, great music score.
"To Catch a Thief" - Cary Grant and Grace Kelly. Again, encompasses many genres, Comedy, Drama, Action, Wonderful cinematography, great music score. Hitchcock at his best.
"The Night of the Hunter" - Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, Lillian Gish. Film Noir, spellbinding, ominous, haunting and very atmospheric. Brilliant film and the only film that Charles Laughton ever directed.
"The Thirty Nine Steps" - Robert Donat, the original 1939 version.
"To Kill A Mockingbird" - Gregory Peck. Just a wonderful adaption of Harper Lee's Pulitzer prize winning novel.
"Hatari" - John Wayne, Hardy Kruger, Red Buttons. Music by Henry Mancini. A superb grand vista of an adventure of animal trappers in Africa.
"It's a Wonderful Life" - James Stewart, Donna Reed, Lional Barrymore, Thomas Mitchell. One of the best family movies ever made.
"Stalag 17" - William Holden, Don Talyor, Otto Preminger. The seed for the creation of the comedy series "Hogan's Heroes". Comedy, Drama and Intrigue all rolled into one.
"North by Northwest" - Cary Grant, James Mason and Eva Marie Saint. A Hitchcock classic.
"Roman Holiday" - Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn and a young Eddie Albert (later of Greenacres fame). Yes, an early "romcom" before the word became popular.
"People Will Talk" - Cary Grant, Jean Crain. Brillaintly contrived comedy.
"Dirty Harry" - Clint Eastwood. Need I say more other than, "Do you feel Lucky, Punk?" or, "Go ahead, make my day!"
"It Happened One Night" - Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert. Screwball comecy classic of 1934.
"Some Like it Hot" - Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemon, brilliantly scripted and acted comedy.
"Jaws" - Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfus. Probably the best "horror" movie ever as it was actually believable.
"Raiders of the Lost Ark" - Harrison Ford et al. Great action adventure.

Some others that aren't what you call classics, but just tickle my fancy. Bit of a Chevy Chase fan as well:
"Trading Places" - Eddie Murphey, Dan Ackroyd, Ralph Belamy, Don Ameche, Jamie Lee Curtis, Denholm Elliot. Brilliantly conceived comedy.
"Funny Farm" - Chevy Chase, Madolyn Smith. Screwball comedy at it's finest.
"Christmas Vacation" - Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo. A stalwart for Christmas comedy fun.
"The Cat and the Canary" - Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard - 1939. The actual movie that really started the "Haunted Mansion" themes, a comedy horror that really hits the mark. Followed up by a "sequel", "Ghost Breakers", again with Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard and just as good.
"Fargo" - Frances McDormand, William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi. Unbelivably crazy film based on fact. As I watched this film for the first time, I thought to myself, "It has to be real as nobody could make this up!!" Watch it and you'll see what I maen.

There are many more and I am sure we can all add their own list, so please do. :)

leanneqld
03-02-2013, 1:46am
hahaha I watched it(again)a few weeks ago.

Gee Lance there's a lot of good movies on your list that I have watched numerous times. Other favs include Rear Window, The Great Escape, Rio Bravo and The Sons Of Katie Elder (another John Wayne fan)

Lance B
03-02-2013, 11:18am
hahaha I watched it(again)a few weeks ago.

Gee Lance there's a lot of good movies on your list that I have watched numerous times. Other favs include Rear Window, The Great Escape, Rio Bravo and The Sons Of Katie Elder (another John Wayne fan)

Yes, those are more ripper movies, Leanne! :)

ricktas
03-02-2013, 12:27pm
Ring of Bright Water - the movie about otters
Greyfriars Bobby - movie about a very loyal dog in Edinburgh

and my fave

Great Expectations

old dog
03-02-2013, 3:33pm
you sure that wasn`t one `tally ho` Kevin...:D

Cage
04-02-2013, 11:53am
:lol2: Ha ha ha Graeme, I have lots of things growing in my yard, but the stuff you wrap in Tally Ho's isn't one of them.

And it's good to see that there are lots of other members here who still find joy in watching 'old' movies.

'Old' is only a pointer to when they were made, but the joy that they bring, the messages that they convey, and the memories that they invoke, are ageless.

Cheers
Kevin