PDA

View Full Version : Yongnuo Flashes

Bear Dale
30-01-2013, 6:02pm
I have two Canon 580 EX II flashes and I'm interested in getting two more off camera flash heads.

The Yongnuo YN-560 III are super cheap compared to Canon speedlights.

Has anyone had any experience with Yongnuo?

I @ M
30-01-2013, 6:17pm
I haven't used them but from reading around the WWW there are plenty of very happy campers using them Jim.

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy them from all the more positive reports that are out there and at $130.00 a unit from site advertiser Hypop (http://www.hypop.com.au/yongnuo-yn-560-iii-flash-speedlite-for-canon-nikon.html) they are very inexpensive for what they are.

Cage
30-01-2013, 7:37pm
I've just ordered the Yongnuo YN-560 II, sheesh, I didn't know it had been updated to the 'III'.

Oh well, as long as it works as a manual fill flash I guess I'll be happy.

Epoc
30-01-2013, 8:16pm
I have 2. Great value. Easy to use and reasonably strong flash wise. Use them with Yongnuo 603 triggers. Never had a misfire.

Bear Dale
31-01-2013, 11:51am
Found some on eBay for $84.00 with free postage -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YONGNUO-YN560-III-YN-560lll-Wrieless-Trigger-Speedlite-Flash-for-Canon-Camera-/251217356321?pt=AU_Flashes&hash=item3a7db8a621

Thats super cheap.

I see that they even now have a model YN-565EX for $140.00 that has TTL, it must drive Canon mad seeing these Chinese copies flooding the market.

Rattus79
31-01-2013, 12:01pm
I have a 460 II and it's not been a problem except that it's not near as powerful as my Sigma 530
the RF 602's havent' given me a lick of trouble either.

The only thing with the yongnuo flashes is the battery door. I dont know if they fixed this issue, but the doors are pretty crappy and snap off easily.

bladesp2
31-01-2013, 1:44pm
I have a yn560-II bought on ebay $70.00 .I can't fault it .

Papou
31-01-2013, 2:25pm
yes i have one also and couldnt fault it til the flash coil or whatever you call it packed it in:)..Do a You -Tube search and you will find it is a common problem. Yognuou will repair under warrenty but you have to pay to get it to them and they will ship it back If its found that the fault was within the flash..
I have two friends who theirs packed it in just shortly prior to mine.
Anyhow cut the chase i went on ebvay and purchased the said componants that i also sussed out via You-Tube and had a friend replace and again it works like a charm.
But just be warned that you may or may not get too long a run with it. They aslo dont like cold frost mornings for outside work either :)..

Cage
04-04-2013, 7:50am
An update on my Yongnuo YN-560 II.

I thought I'd mounted it securely on my camera but I'd turned the lock screw the wrong way. :Doh:

Without warning it fell off and hit the concrete path from about 1.5m.

It didn't look real healthy laying there, with the front cover off, the battery door open, with bent hinges, and batteries scattered around it.

I gently cajoled the Powers That Be for allowing this unfortunate incident to occur, and picked the poor thing up, thinking that it was on it's way to that big recycling yard in the sky.

I pushed the front cover back in, re-inserted the batteries, bent the battery door hinges back into some semblance of their original configuration, and re-mounted it on my camera, this time turning the lock screw the correct way.

Hallelujah, it still works as good as new. And didn't even get a scratch.

:th3: to Yongnuo.

Cheers

Kevin

Rattus79
04-04-2013, 10:33am
I said the Battery doors were suspect didn't I?

Cage
04-04-2013, 1:39pm
I said the Battery doors were suspect didn't I?

I think they may have fixed them because if mine was ever going to break off it had it's best chance that day.

JM Tran
04-04-2013, 2:40pm
I used to be a big supporter of their flashes, after meeting one of their managers in Shanghai back in 2010, I had already begun to use YN products by then but he showed me a lot more at their own dedicated shop.

Needless to say I came home with 10 flashes in my luggage, with 2 for friends. The power coil/strobe failing on the YN560 was a commonly known problem, as I had 2 die on me, but for the price I paid for in China I didnt really care much. They worked great for their purposes.

I havent used speed lights in 2 years now as I use power packs and dedicated lighting for location work and studio so have not been up to date with YN for a while, but it seems there is a raft of new products coming out and they are improving their quality control all the time.

I would also recommend attaching a YN battery pack to each flash too, to speed up recycling time and also increase the amount of shots one can do, esp at high power/max power.