PDA

View Full Version : Hypop Studio Kits

MissionMan
28-01-2013, 11:26pm
Has anyone tried the Hypop studio kits. I'm looking for a home kit at the moment and they seemed pretty well priced.

snappysi
31-01-2013, 9:45pm
Which kit are you looking at mm, would help to give you advise........

Simon.

Wayne
31-01-2013, 9:55pm
Cheap they are, but when you feel them you will know why. Probably fine for home use, but for regular use or anywhere even slightly breezy, not a great idea.

MissionMan
31-01-2013, 10:02pm
Hi Simon

Was considering something like the 3 head kite (http://www.hypop.com.au/hypop-900w-flash-strobe-lighting-set.html) or the two head option (http://www.hypop.com.au/hypop-800w-professional-photography-flash-strobe-light-with-bowens-mount-set-kit.html) but I'm also throwing around options like the Elinchrod D-lite RX4 which obviously slightly more.

Thanks

Athol

fess67
31-01-2013, 10:08pm
Don't go the cheap option!

I bought a cheap 3 light set (not hypop) and they were fun for a while. However, they were flimsy, low powered, prone to breaking and getting attachments for them was difficult. I then decided to buy an Elinchrom BXRi 500 set. 2 lights rather than 3 and much much better. Sturdy, powerful, controlable, plenty of modifiers - well worth the extra money. The old ones are sat on the shelf and I cannot see me ever using them again. By once buy quality.

Wayne
31-01-2013, 10:57pm

I bought a cheap 3 light set (not hypop) and they were fun for a while. However, they were flimsy, low powered, prone to breaking and getting attachments for them was difficult. I then decided to buy an Elinchrom BXRi 500 set. 2 lights rather than 3 and much much better. Sturdy, powerful, controlable, plenty of modifiers - well worth the extra money. The old ones are sat on the shelf and I cannot see me ever using them again. By once buy quality.

Very good advice here. Need to watch that the tubes in any cheapy can be replaced, and if it is user replaceable, also at what cost. You may find a replacement tube costs more than the light itself.

I also (yesterday in fact) bought 2x BX500Ri's from the USA as they are multi-voltage. They just got superseded this week, but are an excellent light and will mean I can use all my current modifiers from the Ranger set. Hint here is buy a used set from the USA, I have seen excellent samples floating about for about US$600 pair, freight about $80-100 and then no GST as <$1K. Difficult to justify cheap Chinese crap from the oriental importers when Swiss quality can be had at these prices.

MissionMan
31-01-2013, 11:13pm

Yeah, I started to get that impression after doing some research as the general feedback was going cheap just wasn't worth it. The RX4's (D-lite 4 replacement) seem to cover what I need and will allow for some growth if I want to add additional heads.

snappysi
01-02-2013, 7:57pm
Great advise above missionman. As Wayne said the main points are making sure you can change bulbs when they blow and at a decent cost. The mount system is also a priority to ensure a good range of modifiers are available. I dont know about the RX4's but i do know that an important selling point for the Elinchrome stuff is the in built sky port receivers. have only heard good things in regards to this feature.

Simon.

Wayne
01-02-2013, 9:06pm
With Elinchrom, you can mount any of their modifiers ever made since about 1974 or something silly like that. The mount the currently use has been standard for years.