PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected change of plans for today's public holiday

Ezookiel
28-01-2013, 1:31pm
Last night, I'm sitting in the lounge using the laptop, and my two daughters are talking in the hallway outside the bathroom.
Suddenly there's a large THUMP followed by a shocked gasp, and then before I can go see who is still alive, there's some embarrassed giggling.
"Ok, What have you done?"
I go down to have a look and find that my 19 year old daughter ... yep NINETEEN, you'd think they'd know better at that age ... has had a sudden re-emergence of childhood and attempted to climb the walls by bracing herself between the two walls in the hallway. Strangely enough, gyprock just wasn't built to hold a 19 year old jammed between the two panels.
She has put her entire size 8 foot through the wall.

Funnily enough I couldn't help but find it hilariously funny instead of get annoyed. Even though my plans for today have now become patching and plastering a wall. On the plus side, there's a hole in the toilet wall where my father in law moved the door, but not the doorstop, and the handle punched a hole, and that has been waiting years to be fixed, so I decided to do that one at the same time.
Just waiting now for the first coat of plaster to dry, and then I'll hit it with skim coat. Gotta thank the person that invented these new self adhesive metal backed gauze sheets that you simply stick over large holes and plaster over. SOOO much easier than the old way of having to fill the hole in first. Took no time at all to fix.

Last night my daughter was as amused as I am, but today she seems more embarrassed, and was really annoyed at her sister for putting it up on facebook, so it's probably just as well she doesn't know I'm putting it up here ;)

Mark L
28-01-2013, 8:15pm
Last night my daughter was as amused as I am, but today she seems more embarrassed, and was really annoyed at her sister for putting it up on facebook, so it's probably just as well she doesn't know I'm putting it up here ;)

Is there a way to link this thread to her FB page?:)

alsocass
28-01-2013, 8:29pm
Bahahah. Brilliant. I also love that you took it in your stride. My Dad made me the person I am today by his similiar ability.

Ezookiel
28-01-2013, 9:39pm
I'm told by another, that my only mistake in it all was fixing it, instead of getting her to fix it. But on the plus side, I showed her how to fix it, so at least if she's ever faced with a hole in a wall when she moves out (quite likely I would guess on this experience) she'll know how to fix it instead of calling me over to fix it.

It wasn't worth getting upset over it, it took me a few minutes to slap a self-adhesive metal-backed gauze sheet over the hole (I praise whoever it was that invented those things, they are soooo much easier than having to fill the hole the old fashioned way), and then spread some skim-coat over it today, another couple of minutes tomorrow to sand it, and it will be all but past-history.
Compared to the hell some kids give their parents, this is absolutely nothing, and it wasn't deliberate, so definitely not worth stressing over.

Mathy
28-01-2013, 11:22pm
Love the story Ezookiel :) I work for Bunnings, and even I don't know who invented those wondrous metal backed stick ons, I think it is such a product that if anyone told you the truth, they'd have to shoot you :D

Love your attitude, love the fact that you chose to educate your daughter, but ......

When you've finished sanding, please apply some undercoat before repainting, chers Deb

Ezookiel
29-01-2013, 10:57am
The wall is a disgusting pink, we'll probably just leave it patched till we decide whether to A: Repaint the whole house, or B: Do a knock down - Rebuild.
It's a very old ex-government house, it needs a new bathroom, new kitchen, the electricals are quite dodgy, the ceiling is bowing where it once had a water leak, the carpets are a million years old, and the whole house faces the wrong way on the block so you come up to the back door (the government thought if they faced all the houses towards the bike-path up the middle, everyone would get out there and commune together, so built them all with the backs facing the street, and the fronts facing each other. It didn't work.)
I want to knock it down, rebuild with a second story (during the 2003 fires where we were surrounded on 3 sides by fire, I discovered while standing on the roof hosing the house down, that we have a great view from up there), and build it with a front door on the side that people arrive at. It's just a matter of waiting till we've paid off the cars, and by then it should be feasible.
So it will probably just stay as a patch of plaster on a horrid pink wall until it can be demolished.

ROA44
29-01-2013, 12:06pm
That's alright just another stage they're goin through. FIRST THIRTY YEARS ARE THE WORST.

ricktas
29-01-2013, 12:37pm
Is there a way to link this thread to her FB page?:)

yes, this forum is publicly viewable, so just copy the URL to FB

Ezookiel
29-01-2013, 4:30pm
Oh Oh. ;)