PDA

View Full Version : Best Camera Bag

dph
27-01-2013, 6:12pm
What do you believe is the best camera and gear bag for Nikon D5100 with room for extra lens and gear...?

ricktas
27-01-2013, 6:30pm
depends on your individual needs and how much you can carry etc. i can lug 20kgs of gear around on my back with no worries at all, others pick my bag up and can hardly lift it off the ground. Do you want a backpack, shoulder bag? Are you going bushwalking with it, do you want something you can swing round and access your camera without taking the bag off your body etc.

Way to many options out there and variables based on the human behind it all, to give you an answer without ALL the information.

Wobbles
27-01-2013, 10:10pm
Hi,
as Rick stated above you really need to give more details, it's basically equivalent to saying "I'm a 35 year old male, what's the ideal woman for me?"
Most of the main camera bag manufactures give basic profiles for bags eg. "1 SLR Body plus 2-3 lenses" but these can be sling bags, backpacks, shoulder bags etc. each has pros/cons. In terms of brands it can be a bit of a Ford v/s Chevy thing between supporters of different manufacturers. I personally like Think Tank Photo gear http://www.thinktankphoto.com/default.aspx their website shows photos of the bags loaded with Canon/Nikon equipment to give you an idea of capacity. One of the bigger suppliers Lowepro even have a 'bag finder' http://bagfinder.lowepro.com/lp/choose-profile to help you choose. One bit of advice I would give is that unless you are 110% certain you will never buy another bit of photo gear :rolleyes:, buy a bag a bit larger than you currently need!

Good luck.

Cheers
John

danny
27-01-2013, 11:52pm
Personal experience - this is a really hard question from a beginners POV. because, as you slowly develop your skills and interests your equipment changes by purchasing new, better and often bigger lenses. I started with a nice little lowepro nova 160 which was great to start with (actually it is still good if I just want the camera and one other lens). But then we went on a big UK holiday and I wanted a camera bag that doubled as a daypack so I got a Vanguard up-rise 43. Problem is it is great for taking camera gear and half a bag of "stuff".... But now I want a larger camera bag to carry more of my equipment but without the "daypack " type of thing that my vanguard offers. So I got a bag insert/liner to go inside a canvas shoulder bag that I have which will turn an existing bag into a camera bag which I can use day today and can grab to go to events and family functions.

I know that I have not answered your question but my advice is to have a look, there are so many options and not one bag will do all jobs. Go to a camera shop and try them out have a look and a feel and put them on.

Cheers
Danny

dph
28-01-2013, 5:39pm
Thanks. Your advise gives me some great ideas.:tog:

Xenedis
28-01-2013, 6:31pm
it's basically equivalent to saying "I'm a 35 year old male, what's the ideal woman for me?"

That's easy -- one who encourages you to buy more camera gear.

Wobbles
28-01-2013, 6:53pm

Haha! I think there's as much chance of finding her as the "Perfect Camera Bag"! :rolleyes:

spootz01
12-01-2016, 12:42pm

I think you mean "one that buys you more camera gear"

para
12-01-2016, 2:22pm
personally have 2 x bags a and a webbing set up.

If travelling I use a airport security v2 from think tank 2x bodies 400 2.8 70-200 and 24-70 plus a couple of speedlites and a few bits and pieces or a use a urban disguise from think tank too, can fit 2 x bodies 70-200,24-70 speed light laptop etc