PDA

View Full Version : Where to stage a still life photo?

alsocass
17-01-2013, 4:06pm
I am keen to take a photo and enter it into the 'photo of the week' competition. I am already seeing how it makes for a good way to focus learning. I have spent the afternoon looking at still life photos and getting a feel for the genre.

I am looking around my house but I am really overwhelmed by all the possible places to take a photo... I am not sure where to begin, hoping to get some tips and advice.

What sort of lighting should I be looking for? Is there a particular time of day that is best, or is anytime okay because it is indoors.
Can I take the photo outside, again do I need to stick with twilight hours or can midday light add to the composition?
What sort of techniques are used to ensure a clean background when working inside a house?

ricktas
17-01-2013, 7:39pm
kitchen bench, in the bath, on the coffee table. You can also consider getting some cardboard and laying that over things to setup your shot, or use the cardboard in the background etc.

Think about using candles, a torch, Christmas lights, even a stock put lid can be used to reflect light. Get creative and imaginative and try things

Mathy
18-01-2013, 1:40am
Hi Cass, I am doing the same thing as you. I've picked a subject (may not be the final one) and did a google on how to take photographs of 'xxxxx' (where xxxx is what you want to photograph), I got some really good YouTube tutorials and links to websites, plus some great images as well. The best information was about how to set up a small home 'studio' using coloured cardboard and domestic lights for lighting. I don't have all the gear, so this was helpful. From here, I plan to experiment and see what I come up with, hope this helps, cheers Deb

ricktas
18-01-2013, 6:38am
I would add to Deb's comments. Be careful using lights and cardboard. Lights can generate quite a bit of heat and if you place one to close to the cardboard, it could combust. The last thing you need is fireman wrecking your still life setup :2enew:

alsocass
18-01-2013, 8:27am
Hi Cass, I am doing the same thing as you. I've picked a subject (may not be the final one) and did a google on how to take photographs of 'xxxxx' (where xxxx is what you want to photograph), I got some really good YouTube tutorials and links to websites, plus some great images as well. The best information was about how to set up a small home 'studio' using coloured cardboard and domestic lights for lighting. I don't have all the gear, so this was helpful. From here, I plan to experiment and see what I come up with, hope this helps, cheers Deb

Youtube is awesome. I did the same thing. After initially being disheartened by all the equipment required I found this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpHIjQZmSwI
Who decided to do a series showing how to do still life with household equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

I would add to Deb's comments. Be careful using lights and cardboard. Lights can generate quite a bit of heat and if you place one to close to the cardboard, it could combust. The last thing you need is fireman wrecking your still life setup :2enew:

Thanks for the tip.

Rattus79
18-01-2013, 10:30am
The kitchen table with lovley soft afternoon window light can work wonders too.

alsocass
18-01-2013, 12:10pm
The kitchen table with lovley soft afternoon window light can work wonders too.

I just went to the newsagent and bought some cardboard and am about to try the kitchen table. Trouble is that this would mean the window would be behind the subject.

Rattus79
18-01-2013, 12:42pm
Oh, Backlighting! lovley :D

You can use a reflector from a car window or some white card or just about any reflective surface to bring some light back onto your subject.

alsocass
18-01-2013, 3:41pm
Well all done. I will post for CC after the competiton ends. I had lots of fun and took about 60 photos, running back to my computer regularly to evaluate.

Mathy
18-01-2013, 8:58pm
Youtube is awesome. I did the same thing. After initially being disheartened by all the equipment required I found this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpHIjQZmSwI
Who decided to do a series showing how to do still life with household equipment.

Yes! He did a tutorial on a particular subject I was interested in, I found him to be very good and explained things very well. Good luck with your entry, cheers Deb

alsocass
18-01-2013, 10:20pm
I have been laying in bed watching his videos all night. Definetly one of the better tutorial makers on YouTube.

Ms Monny
18-01-2013, 11:02pm
kitchen bench, in the bath, on the coffee table.....

hmmmmm :lol:

ricktas
19-01-2013, 7:19am
hmmmmm :lol:

This is for STILL life..stop being rude :eek:

geoffsta
19-01-2013, 10:41am
Monica, Monika, Monika. Mind above the belt please.....
Speaking of that.. A really cool belt buckle with various ornaments around it, with a touch of depth of field. A bit of coloured cellophane over a torch or two, resting on a bit of velvet..... Ohh.. The mind boggles... :lol2:

Ms Monny
19-01-2013, 5:10pm
Sorry...will crawl back into my corner again..... :2stupi:

Mark L
19-01-2013, 10:58pm
Monica, Monika, Monika. Mind above the belt please.....

But that might be where the still life is!!:eek:

Ionica
20-01-2013, 11:59am
This photographer has ( imo ) some interesting still life compositions, including ' kitchen ' items. Hope this is useful to you.

http://lestrovoy.deviantart.com/gallery/

Wynny
23-01-2013, 12:57am
I realised that we were using our home theatre less and less as it is only my wife and I rattling around the house now and we generally watch TV out in a general family room. This has allowed me to start gradually taking over the home theatre as a mini studio in which I can let in the natural light or close it off for using artificial light as there are heavy black curtains on the window.

Have not figured out how to take over the rest of the house yet but working on it.

alsocass
23-01-2013, 12:48pm
*chuckle*