PDA

View Full Version : cs5 not reading RAW files from Canon 6d- anyone had any luck yet?

ice
14-01-2013, 10:28pm
Hi Guys- just picked up the 6D and have now gone to open the raw files- wont work. Checked for updates on cs5 and they're now all updated but the raw files still wont open.

I then downloaded the DNG on the adobe website which does work, but i want my RAW reader back in cs5.

Wondering if anyone else has managed to get it working yet? Have read many posts on the adobe community forums about my issue with no real solution as far as i can see and many people even upgrading to CS6 and having it still not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a job coming up in a week and I need to be able to shoot in RAW.

cheers for any help in the right direction.

imogen

- - - Updated - - -

i should also say that my RAW plugin in cs5 reads as version 6.7.0.339

MarkChap
14-01-2013, 10:34pm
Yep, that's correct

The 6D is too new for CS5, you will need ACR 7.xx to read the 6D files and the only way to get that is with CS6

ricktas
14-01-2013, 10:36pm
Or get the Adobe DNG converter and convert your Canon raw files to DNG raw files and then CS5 will open them.

ice
14-01-2013, 10:46pm
excuse my ignorance guys- by converting to DNG, am i still working with a file as good as RAW, or am i losing data?

MarkChap
14-01-2013, 10:50pm
CR2 is Canons raw, NEF is Nikons raw, Pentax would have something, but hey it's Pentax :)
And DNG is Adobe's raw

ice
14-01-2013, 11:00pm
so its exactly the same type of file?

ricktas
15-01-2013, 6:17am
so its exactly the same type of file?

Yes. In fact many are just based on TIF format. You used to be able to just rename a canon file from abd123.cr2 to abd123.tif and it would be perfectly readable. Now, the newer versions of cr2 have been altered slightly to make conversion necessary. Nikon now have saving as tif in camera as an option along side nef and jpg. Pentax have dng as an option in camera as a raw format to choose at the time of shooting.

A dng file is a legitimate, open source raw format. dng was created to overcome this range of proprietary raw formats created by the manufacturers, that each needed its own converter. Adobe created dng in the hope that an industry wide standard would eventuate, and slowly the manufacturers are taking notice and adding dng to the in-camera options.

If you have trouble reading your CR2 files from your 6D with CS5, imagine what is going to happen in 15 years time when you have a 29D with a CR2 file. DNG was designed to be future proof. Go forward 20 years and finding software that will even know what your 6D cr2 files are could be a problem. So you have all these great photos from your 6D from the year 2013, but no software that will open them. DNG was created to try and resolve that issue.

Your other option is to use the software that came with your camera, Canon's own DPP editing software, import your raw file into that and then export it to CS5 after having done your raw edits in DPP

ice
15-01-2013, 11:57am
Thanks guys- all very helpful info. Rick, that explanation was great, cheers!

Instead of being annoyed at the extra conversion time i'm just going to be thankful i have DNG to convert the files and I dont have to buy a new CS software package. phew!