PDA

View Full Version : Anyone following the Dakar?

Mathy
13-01-2013, 11:15pm
I'm an avid follower of the Dakar and I'm interested in knowing if anyone else follows. Apart from the actual event, there are some fabulous photos posted on various forums as well, cheers Deb

Dittography
14-01-2013, 12:01am
Hey Deb,

Yep I'm following the Dakar, especially interested in the bikes. I've been doing a bit of Desert racing after getting back into dirt bikes a few years ago. The last big event I went in up here was won by Matt Fish who is the water boy for the Husqvuarna team. He probably would have been doing quite well if he didn't need to keep giving his bike bits to the main team riders but that's his job this time around. Warren Strange was also in the race up here and won my class (masters = old farts). He was a bit of inspiration for me, same age and proving that getting a little older doesn't mean it's time to slow down.. well not too much anyway... It's a pity Grabbo is recovering from his Condoblin crash, I reckon he could have been near the front giving the big names something more to worry about.
Like you I've enjoyed the images coming out of the event, there's some amazing country they are travelling through.

Mathy
14-01-2013, 12:10am
Fantastic! I follow the bikes, actually, all of the Aussies are doing quite well given their various circumstances. Are you a member over at ADVRider.com? cheers Deb

Dittography
14-01-2013, 12:54am
No I haven't been in that one. I do spend a little time at dirtbikeworld though...

yeah all the Aussies are doing well, which reminds me I need to watch the highlights from today that I recorded :2biggn:

Mathy
15-01-2013, 2:19am
Back on again tonight and Cyril is riding like a mad man! Enjoy watching the footage, cheers Deb

Cage
15-01-2013, 9:26am
Hi Deb

I tried to follow it, but I couldn't keep up. :2dejec:

Rattus79
15-01-2013, 10:19am
I seen a bit. It's all about the bikes, but I gotta say, that's the best looking Mini I've ever seen...

Unfortunately, It's on just at the wrong time, and I miss most of it. :(

Mathy
16-01-2013, 2:54am
Rattus and TruBlu, it's easier to keep up via internet forums, they post lots of commentary, video and pics, plus they do have some tips on how to access live streaming video from (I think) free to air satellite TV. I can recommend www.advrider.com (http://www.advrider.com) as a place where you can read and follow without registering to be a member. However, be warned, the main commentary thread has just hit Page #838 :eek:

Wow! It's hotting up, after the marathon stage which saw all sorts of dramas, the multi Dakar winning Frenchman Cyril Despres has come out all guns blazing. The overall leader at Stage 8, hit a cow, dislocated his shoulder (badly) and had a major malfunction with his bike - he has not started Stage 10. At stage 9, there were at least 2 women riding, one had her bike catch fire (couldn't be saved) and the other a major mechanical malfunction, but due to assistance, she beat the broom wagon home and rides again today, albeit, with a new engine.

The Aussies continue to do well, cheers Deb

Rattus79
16-01-2013, 9:28am
Awesome! thanks for the link. I will defo check that out!
I did see the interview with Despres last night. He covered his pain very well, and I wasn't sure if he was going to ride today or not.

Mathy
16-01-2013, 12:32pm
Sorry, just the main link wasn't very helpful to someone who doesn't know their way around that forum. There are 2 main Dakar threads:

Full on (now 865 pages) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852309

Cliff Notes (only 27 pages) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853316

cheers Deb

harper
16-01-2013, 1:43pm
im following my brothers mate Ben Grabham in the bikes

Dittography
18-01-2013, 6:29pm
Here's a good photo story on the Dakar
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/01/the-2013-dakar-rally/100441/

Rattus79
18-01-2013, 11:10pm
Some of those shots are fantastic! I paricularly like the flying truck!

Mathy
19-01-2013, 10:45pm
So, we arrive at the last stage! It seems that all of the Aussies are travelling very well and a couple are in line for quite nice overall places. Ditto's mate Warren, is starting in 27th place, Ben Grabham (Harper's fave) is on track to win the Rookie award, starting in 16th place.

Perennial OZ favourite, Simon Pavey has had a cool and calm Dakar, he starts 61st tomorrow, well known for completing this arduous race.

My personal favourite is Luis Belaustegui (#150) from Argentina. Luis is a Univeristy Prof who insists on doing the Dakar on a 150cc KTM bike of some sort. Last year, he came to grief on Stage 13 (broke his hand). This year, despite breaking the bike with monotonous regularity and arriving at the bivouac just in time for repairs and to start again, he has made it to the final stage. I wish him all the very best of luck, he's a true ironman!

Cyril Despres, the master, has strategised well in Dakar 2013, he deserves the win and I hope he gets it, cheers Deb

Mathy
23-01-2013, 2:26am
So, for completeness, the Aussies all respectively finished well. Cyril won the whole shebang and my favourite Luis did finally make it to the finish and received his medal - which was a miracle. Until next year folks, cheers Deb

Mathy
30-01-2013, 2:32am
Great interview with Warren Strange and Jamie Morgan by Karen Tighe.

Warren Strange has lived with chronic lymphatic leukaemia for 21 years, is 45yo and finished the Dakar in 24th place. Hats off to him!!

Here's the link to the interview: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-28/interview-warren-strange-and-jamie-morgan/4486678?section=sport

Enjoy :D, cheers Deb

Dittography
30-01-2013, 9:15am
Awesome, thanks Deb, I'll have a look after work!