PDA

View Full Version : Wedding - money shot - disaster in court

Kym
10-01-2013, 10:44am
http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/weddings/stoush-over-wedding-smooch-has-court-sequel-20130109-2cgq4.html

IT comes down to this: is the wedding kiss the money shot of wedding photography?

Narre Warren newlyweds Jarrad and Sheree Mitchell had thought they were entitled to the kiss shot, but photographer George Ferris said they did not linger long enough to get it.

'It was put to me that it was 'just a peck' and while it was not discussed at length in evidence, I accept that it is quite difficult to capture the moment of a kiss.

And the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal has ruled that the kiss cannot be a guaranteed staple of every wedding album.
Jarrad and Sheree Mitchell on their wedding day.

The Mitchells married in Nathania Springs, near Belgrave, on August 28, 2011, and engaged Studio Edge & Multimedia, of Beaconsfield, to photograph the day.
Advertisement

But after paying $2210 of the $2600 contract, they refused to pay the outstanding $390. They argued the company failed to deliver the photographs in an ''artistic'' style found on their website.

They argued company director Mr Ferris had failed to capture pivotal moments such as ''the kiss'', the cutting of the ribbon and the signing of the wedding certificate. They said the pictures were poor with blurred movement and the wrong lens hood had caused shadow in the pictures.

The Mitchells claimed $6400 in damages, including the cost of restaging the wedding photos, saying the company failed to deliver a boxed photo album, proof album, three large wall prints and a micro wedding website.

Mr Ferris argued the kiss had been ''just a peck'' and not all moments could be captured at every wedding. He also argued a flowered archway and ''bounce'' from the flash had produced shadowy pictures.

Mr Ferris said the Mitchells only complained about the photographs after Mr Ferris' wife, Joanne, sent 639 high-resolution ''proof'' images to the couple by mistake.

Mr Ferris said the couple had received the value of a ''shoot and burn'' package where a photographer shoots the pictures and then burns them to disk.

He showed VCAT member Dr Rebecca French a mock-up digital wedding album as an example of how it might have looked if the Mitchells had paid in full.

Studio Edge & Multimedia counter-claimed for $5700, including the balance of $390, costs for bringing the VCAT case of $4500, $60 for a meal that was not supplied, and a penalty fee of $750 because a second professional photographer was at the reception.

Dr French found Mr Mitchell did not prove Mr Ferris' work was substandard, but said weddings were ''moving feasts'' without the pristine conditions of a photographic studio.

''It was put to me that it was 'just a peck' and while it was not discussed at length in evidence, I accept that it is quite difficult to capture the moment of a kiss,'' Dr French said. ''Nor is it always possible to capture other precise moments and doing so can be problematic,'' she said.

Dr French said the company had not delivered value for $2210 already outlaid and ordered it to pay $710. She ordered the Mitchells to pay $60 for the meal.

There are so many issues with this one. Mistakes on both sides.

El Pedro
10-01-2013, 11:03am
Both sides were claiming outrageous costs. Good to see the VCAT member was smart enough to send them on their way. Not the best publicity for the photographer.

William W
11-01-2013, 9:38am
It is my opinion that the newspaper reportage lacks the necessary detail for the reader to make any reasonable opinion about both the situation and also Dr French's ruling.

WW

Tony B
13-01-2013, 8:38pm
Let the buyer beware.
Unfortunately there are many offering photographic services whose skill level & professionalism leave much to be desired.

lostock
03-02-2013, 10:01pm
I'm not a professional, just an amateur, but was recently asked to capture part of a friends' wedding (which I was attending as a guest anyway) after the paid professional was unable to be in 2 places at the same time. This was my 1st experience of wedding photography and gave me a new found respect for wedding photographers. Capturing those memorable moments is certainly no easy task!