PDA

View Full Version : ND Filter Help

William
10-01-2013, 10:38am
The screw on type , Hi guys delving into an area I have'nt tried before, First up I dont want an ND 400/9stop , A little less to get some water movement shots around 1 to 2 secs at 8 to 9am in the morning also to play with slower shutter speeds of Surfing and waves , Anybody got any ideas on what strength to get , I was guessing 4 or 5 stops may do the trick , We will be using this with the normal ND grad filters as well , I was thinking this which is 4 stops or the X 32 which is 5 stops , Would these work do you think ?

arthurking83
10-01-2013, 12:34pm
I'd use the camera meter to determine what density you 'need'.

That is, put yourself in the situation where you require this slower shutter speed, and set the camera up so as to get this required water movement.
Of course in exposing the image as you'd prefer you will of course either over expose it, or you will stop the aperture down to a level you may wish not too.

But at least you get a more accurate indication of what it is you actually need, as opposed to replies from us as to what we think you may want.

Personally, I'd be inclined to use aperture in preference to over exposure(which is what I actually did a long time ago, when I got my one and only ND filter).

And finally, why the screw on type ND, and not the Cokin P type?
That is, I think you already have the Cokin P type system :confused:

If that's correct, then my natural inclination would be to suggest a 3stop Cokin ND.

And have you heard of the Cokin 121F as well. It's (apparently) a 3 stop grad, but the graduation is not to a clear section, it's graduated to more of a 1 stop lower section.
I reckon it's more of a 4 stop ND at the top half, and maybe 1 or two 2tops on the lower half. In fact there is no real half to this one, is a linear graduation from dark end to lighter(not clear!!) end.

William
10-01-2013, 2:05pm
Thanks for the reply Arthur, We'll probably use it in conjunction with a 2 stop ND Grad filter, Well thats the plan :2smile:

dulvariprestige
16-01-2013, 10:57pm
Bill if you're going to use on medium to telephoto, maybe look at a vari-nd, can also be used on your wide angle, but you won't get the full range

ROA44
16-01-2013, 11:08pm
Just bought an ND fader ( Vari-ND )? to go on a 35mm lens, had a quick play last night with it but am about to have a look at the results not that the conditions were all that favourable but from off the camera looked promising price was about $56's Inca brand can't afford the more expensive ones. local purchase so I was OK with that. The 77mm was about $145 it will have to wait, but might go Cokin Grads for that one.

Milton