PDA

View Full Version : Fires in Tasmania

Wayne63
05-01-2013, 8:37am
Just like to send all the members and their families in Tasmania my best wishes and hope that you all stay safe
oops sorry this is in the wrong forum, would one of the mods move this to the "Out of Focus" forum please

ricktas
05-01-2013, 8:51am
all good Wayne, it can stay here.

thanks for the thoughts. It is quiet here right now as the wind has died down, but it is eerie cause the smoke is not moving, so when you look outside it looks like thick fog. But we have wind warnings for this afternoon, so its expected the fires will flare up again as today progresses. On top of the 80 or so confirmed destroyed homes, there are reports coming through that at least another 70 have gone as well. 9700 homes without power and could be without power for weeks.

A flotilla of boats left Hobart last evening and went to the Peninsula and collected the people stuck on beaches. This was just an impromptu thing, no one officially organised the flotilla, people just pitched in and joined forces and went.

Today will be tense as we all wait for the winds to pick up and see what happens when they do.

farmer_rob
05-01-2013, 4:49pm
I'd like to add my best wishes. Bushfires are so devastating. I hope all are safe and well.

Regards,
Rob

sunny6teen
05-01-2013, 5:34pm
I bailed out of Eaglehawk Neck when the Richmond fire was going as I thought another fire downwind might block the only way out.
Unfortunately, I chose Coles Bay as an alternative destination. Chased out again by the Bicheno fires.

shot yesterday...
1) Coles Bay rd
2) looking towards Friendly Beaches from Swansea
3) roads are a bit soft

ricktas
05-01-2013, 6:04pm
The Forcett fire has been upgraded to Emergency again and Taranna is being hit by the fire now.\

The car tyre with the tarmac on it, shows how hot it was. thanks for sharing

ktoopi
05-01-2013, 7:48pm
My thoughts are also with everyone in the AP family who may be affected in some way by the fires. Stay safe everyone.

rwg717
05-01-2013, 11:28pm
Yes Ditto to all the above and we are all thinking of you in Tassie.
Richard

Jcas
10-01-2013, 8:48pm
We had to evacuate twice, once at 2.30 in the morning, but we are ok as are our pets and stock, it is devastating to see the aftermath.

We are still on a watch and act alert, we have a hill opposite us that continues to smolder and flares up in the wind, im getting very tired from sleeping with one eye open, rather calm now though, so hopefully a good sleep tonight.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Mark L
10-01-2013, 9:56pm
Nasa's map of Tasmania

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Nat...=80105&src=nha