PDA

View Full Version : Border Ranges NP, Sheep Station Creek - OVERNIGHT Camping trip Jan 2013

Analog6
17-12-2012, 12:56pm
As a follow on from the Cruuumbin december meetup. Who would be up for this? Suggest a date - 3rd week of january maybe?

Great birding according to Greg (Rattus 79) and I want to visit the Antarctic beech forest. Loys of scenic walks, lookouts etc.

Anyone know how busy the campground (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkCamping.aspx?id=N0050) is over January?

Rattus79
17-12-2012, 2:14pm
To dig up an old thread, here's an idea of what can be found there:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?108796-Border-Ranges-National-Park-Sheep-Station-Creek

Being late in January, I'd expect some people, but the majority having moved on to go back to work.
There are only a couple of trailer/van camping locations though there is plenty of room for tents.

Sifor
17-12-2012, 3:49pm
Looks like a great place, but I'd probably pass on this. Just a tad too far and I don't have any camping gear.

Rattus79
17-12-2012, 4:22pm
I have 2x spare tents if anyone needs.

It's byo sleeping bag though.

Analog6
17-12-2012, 7:35pm
And I have my van with a markets type marquee with walls I set up at the back to make a room, can fit a couple of sleeping folk in it under cover. BYO sleeping bag, mattress etc.

Lesley Bray
21-12-2012, 9:48pm
I would be up for this ...... definitely - any date suits me.
Have my own camping gear.
Lesley

Analog6
22-12-2012, 8:49am
I think the weekend of the 19/20 January would be best as it avoids the Australia Day weekend rush for camp spots. Apparently you don't book, just turn up. I have emailed the park office (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkCamping.aspx?id=N0050) to confrim this and find out how one pays. Will report back when I have the info.

Types of camping: caravan / trailer / car
Road access: Unsealed road/trail - 2WD vehicles.
Fees
Camping fees: $5 per adult per night. $3 per child per night.
Vehicle entry fee: Annual pass or daily vehicle entry fee of $7 also required.

Map (http://www.nimbinweb.com.au/maps/borderng.htm) of the Border ranges NP from Nimbin homepage

Lesley Bray
23-12-2012, 7:22am
Thanks Odille - I am away camping till 29th Dec and unlikely to have broadband coverage, so won't be able to check back for further details until after that date. Merry Christmas. Lesley

AMD72
28-12-2012, 12:02am
I could be very keen on this if my new toy (suitable for birding) arrives before this. I would probably drive up and sleep in my car. Would also probably have room for people bringing their own camp gear if someone wanted a lift from the far south suburbs of Brisbane.

Analog6
28-12-2012, 5:14am
I do hope this one comes off, somewhere I am really keen to visit but have always been reluctant to go on my own, and after my little contretemps last week I am even more so. The NP office never replied so I still don't know how you pay, but on FB people said you just roll up so maybe ther's an honesty box or something.

Lesley Bray
28-12-2012, 3:52pm
I am back early ..... still very interested in this ..... I would be happier if more participants. Does anyone know what the road is like up there ? creeks to cross?
Lesley

Rattus79
28-12-2012, 5:00pm
There is a wooden box out the front of the camp area that you make payment in. Fill in a card and attach it to your tent.

Its not recommended to try and buck the system as the rangers often patrol the area.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a wooden box out the front of the camp area that you make payment in. Fill in a card and attach it to your tent.

Its not recommended to try and buck the system as the rangers often patrol the area.

Edit: no creeks to cross if you come in via Lyons rd. Mostly sealed with just the last few ks dirt. Last time there was a hundred odd meter section of mud. Easy crossing in 2wd towing a camper.

Lesley Bray
28-12-2012, 6:19pm
Thanks Rattus - I am good for this - have 4WD and own camping gear - can fit another interested participant who has own camping gear and would like to share fuel cost. I live in Redlands area, east of Brisbane. Lesley

Lesley Bray
06-01-2013, 2:47pm
Is this trip still a goer? Really would like to go.
Lesley

AMD72
06-01-2013, 5:07pm
I am still awaiting my new toy, but there is a good chance it will arrive this week, therefore I should be a certain starter. I have also got some interest from a work colleague so there goes one of my spare seats :)

Analog6
07-01-2013, 6:40am
Can we have a definite on numbers, please. Please amend the list below and repost so we know for sure.

Definite:
Analog6
Lesley Bray

Possible:
??

AMD72
07-01-2013, 9:57am
Definite:
Analog6
Lesley Bray

Possible:
AMD72 (+ one work colleague) - 95% likely

Rattus79
09-01-2013, 4:36pm
Possible:
Rattus + Mrs Rattus + Rattus Jr (enutero)

Boofhead
10-01-2013, 12:20am
I am a possible for this as well.

AMD72
10-01-2013, 12:46am
Myself and my work colleague are now definite starters with my new toy (400 f2.8 IS II) turning up yesterday and my teleconverters (and possibly lens coat) arriving early next week.

Do we have a set time to arrive up there?

Lesley Bray
10-01-2013, 7:38am
Andrew - I am planning to arrive down there as early as possible- hopefully around 9am. It is approx a 2 hour drive from my place according to Google. I don't think an official arriving time has been set yet. Your new gear sounds great ! Lesley

Rattus79
10-01-2013, 9:23am
If anyone gets there early, make sure to bag a trailer site for me!
There's only a few there.

Lesley Bray
15-01-2013, 7:39pm
Hello everyone - I am still up for this and making plans. What is the latest? How many others ? Lesley

AMD72
15-01-2013, 9:53pm
I am still up for this too - and will be bringing a work colleague with me.

I estimate we will probably be up there around lunch time.

I am still awaiting some teleconverters :( (which should be in my hands by Friday :) ).

If anyone is shooting Canon and wants to play with a super tele (400mm f2.8 IS II) I will have one on hand and am happy for others to test it out ... maybe an incentive for some fence sitters! ;)

Boofhead
15-01-2013, 11:01pm
I won't be able to make this one, really disappointed. :2apolo:

It looks like our sick puppy only has days left, she has fought the good fight.

It is Cheryl's birthday on Sunday so i hope Tiffy lasts beyond then.

Analog6
16-01-2013, 5:41am
I won't be able to make this one, really disappointed. :2apolo:

It looks like our sick puppy only has days left, she has fought the good fight.

It is Cheryl's birthday on Sunday so i hope Tiffy lasts beyond then.

So sorry to hear that Andrew, I hope Tiffy has a peaceful passing and I totally understand staying with her.

- - - Updated - - -

Definites are Lesley Bray, me, Cheryl Archer (but not via here although she's a member), Andrew (AMD72) & friend,

Possibles Rattus & mrs & half rattus :), Gabby

Boofhead
16-01-2013, 8:22am
Thanks Odille, your thoughts are very much appreciated.

41jas
17-01-2013, 5:54pm
I will pass as I've made arrangements to take my grand daughter to Lone Pine on that Saturday and we have just had 4 weeks away camping. We are doing work on the camper getting it ready for the AP Easter camp trip. Would have been good too. Have a great time guys..xxx

AMD72
18-01-2013, 11:49pm
Getting excited - should be leaving Brisbane's southern outskirts around 10am, so should be up there around lunch time (barring too many photographic ops along Lyons Rd :) ). See you all then :th3:

Analog6
19-01-2013, 5:46am
Yes, we will be leaving here about 7am and coming in via Uki and the Williams Rd/Tweed valley Scenic Srive. See you there!

Lesley Bray
20-01-2013, 6:01pm
I am very disappointed to have missed this. We loaded up the Cruiser on Friday evening, ready to go, and Saturday morning found that the rear cabin door was jammed shut and we were unable to budge it. Took the car over to Toyota and they can't look at it till next week, meanwhile all our gear is packed in the back and we are unable to access it. Lucky the fridge items hadn't been packed in. I do hope you all had an enjoyable time and I am looking forward to seeing the photos. Lesley

Analog6
21-01-2013, 6:49am
I am very disappointed to have missed this. We loaded up the Cruiser on Friday evening, ready to go, and Saturday morning found that the rear cabin door was jammed shut and we were unable to budge it. Took the car over to Toyota and they can't look at it till next week, meanwhile all our gear is packed in the back and we are unable to access it. Lucky the fridge items hadn't been packed in. I do hope you all had an enjoyable time and I am looking forward to seeing the photos. Lesley

I was so sorry you didn't male it Lesley. Greg (Rattus) didn't makle it either, no idea what happened to him. I have lots of images but none processed yet, I flopped when I got home.

We had a great time. Very hot Satruday, and coming in from the Uki/KYogle Rd along William Rd we gad about 7km of low gear upfill climbing on corrugations 0- a bit bone and teeth rattling and somewhat tiring for your poor driver. However, Blackbutt's lookout was worth it and would be my choice for sunrise even over the Pinnacle, which is more 'touted. And it has the added advantage of loos!

The Pinnacle was wonderful too, it's amazing to see the valley all laid out and the serried wos of the ranges to the sea - which I could't spot despite the view-descriptive sign having a spot marked 'ocean'. There is quite a forest of grass-trees (black boys) on the 200m walk out to the Pinnacle, and a fairy swing too - more on those later.

Cheryl and I arrived mid morning and were charmed by teh caping area, it's really lovely with lots of tables, BBQ areas, loos and nice private spots screened by trees and bush. Andrew and his friend/wortkmate Pavel arrived a little after us, we'd spent the time wrestling my gazebo/marquee thingy up and settting up Cheryl's (new) tent. We initally tried it and were flummoxed but all was well after we resorted to the instructions (surprise, surprise!). It had a great design with an inner netting tent and then you drape the outer cover over it, I was most impressed.

The heat eqased somewhat when the rain arrived during an evening speculator trip to the Antarctic beech area - thanks again Andrew for the ride. We passed over beautiful brindle Creek, which I didn't get back to this trip (it's on a one way loop road) but I plan a revisit so will make a point of it next time. Andrew and pavel wenty back on Sunday so it will be good to see what they come up with. We actually never found the track to the beech forest, due to the aforesaid rain, but got some shots of a magnificent specimen near the car park. We also saw some pheasant coucals - as usual proving quick and elusiove, and some fruit doves. Further explorations were curtailed by the rain.

We went to bed, after a pleasant - and dry thanks to my gazebo - evening of chips, pretzels, nuts, dips and cheese round the gas lantern (much too hot for a fire anyway) to the patter of rain and still wet when we got up at 3am (or I did!) for dawn expeditions. I did find one drawback to sleeping in the van - the rain is awfully loud on the metal roof and of course it has very little insulation/padding, being a work vehicle. Have to look into that.

I was disturbed a couple of times by noises in the night - I slept with the back door up and opening into the gazebo thing - and thought it was just wind. But on rising I found something had been through and examined all the used food utensils, and had pried the lid off the contauner I used to bring smoked salmon dip from home and had a good lick. I noticed a sign at the enttry sating watch out for goannas so maybe that was the culprit.

I woke the ohters at 3am as arranged and the fellows plumped in favour of more sleep but Cheryl and I decided to soldier back to wither The Pinnacle or Blackbutts in case the eastern aspect was cleaer. It was slow going in the heavy fog caused by low hanging rain, and we ended up at the Pinnacle after all as it is 8km closer. Along the way we saw what we thought was a quoll, although in the headlights it appeared to have a striped tail. At first it looked catlike, but the body shape and colour - fawnish grey - behaviour and the reflection from the eyes were wrong for a cat. I can only assume (hate that word) it was some little reported juvenile colouration. And as I broke my rule of Lumix in the fornt seat beside me we have no photo to show for it :(

We walked out to the Pinnacle to be confronted by a white wall, but there were lots of possibilities still in the grass trees looming through the fog. We spent some time photographing them and some shots of the pathway back and a hanging vine loop which I christened the fairy swing. Unfortunately no fairies made an appearance but Cheryl did a stand - or sit - in to show the effect!

Back at camp the morning was spent sheltering from the rain and then a wander round the camp photographing some of the birds and looking in vain for the resident koala and pademelons. Sensibly, they were in out of the rain somewhere. We saw a yellow breasted robin (of course these are not in the thrush family (as true robins are) but belong instead to family Petroicidae, ranging from India to NZ. There are a varities with pink or red breasts (pink robin, rose robin, flame robin, scarlet robin, red-capped robin), others with yellow breasts (eastern yellow robin, western yellow robin, pale yellow robin) and others with no bright colours.) and some Red-browed Finches, Neochmia temporalis. Andrew also caught - with his news 400mm f2.8 and 2x teleconverter (hear that green tone frpm me) - one image of a buff breasted robin, and some of the fruit doves.

About midday we started a nightmare pack up with the rain falling and wet tent and gazebo thingy to be taken down and folded into their bags (yes, pull the other one, at least as far as lesley's ten, I did manage to stuff all the gazebo bits, sopping wet, back into the bag), plus dirty and wet floor tile squares, to be packed in some sort of order back in the van. Pavel had the equal problem with avery wet small tent to be squashed away somehow in Andrew's vehicle. At the end of it I was soaked and ion the way out stopped at the loo for a change of clothes. As I discovered a few miles down the road, in my haste and the semi darkness of the place I put my shorts on inside out! Much hilarity from Cheryl when I relayed this fact after coming back to the van after a photo opp, having been unable to pop the lens cap into my pocket!

We drove hme via the Lions Rd/Summerland way/Kyogle/Cawongla/Uki. I just couldn't face all the rattly dirt Tweed Valley Scenic Drive home. We stopped a few times for misty shots, excalimed constantly over the beauty of the green countryside - they've obviously been getting more rain than we have on the caost - and coffee and scones/slice at teh cawongla General store.

At home it was swap cars (Cheryl's was in my garage spot), hose the mud off the outside of the van before opening the back to filthy floor tiles which had come unwrapped from their towl, a very dirty back of car and, a minute later, the realistation that the sticky catch on the sode door had spat the dummy. Luckily it opened from the inside. So we unpacked, Cheryl got away with her stuff, and my dear Warwick undertook the task of putting all the wet stuff on the washing line for me.

After a quick shower and dinner I crashed. I am startine to process my photos now and will put up a thread soom. A return trip is planned amd wil be much better organised with the knowledge of the place and the realisation the area is a cloud catcher and rain and wet are very likely.

Please excuse any typos - can spell but my typing's not the greatest!

Wandapics
21-01-2013, 9:28am
What an experience Odille. Glade it went well even with the wet.
I am looking forward to seeing some pics.
I was unable to go as we had my Mums 80th birthday party on Saturday night.

Lesley Bray
21-01-2013, 1:43pm
OMG It sounds like my trip to Queen Mary Falls where we were drenched camping and had to pack up in pouring rain - but it sounds you have had a wonderful time, and I am insanely jealous. My car is booked in for later in the week, after that, hopefully I can make it up to the Border Ranges at first opportunity. Lesley

AMD72
21-01-2013, 2:19pm
Sorry to hear about the car Lesley. Don't worry though - there are already discussions about returning next month!!

The weather got in the way a little, but that aside, it was a great weekend.

Thanks to Cheryl and Odille for the hospitality Saturday night - enjoyable time indeed. :th3:

Not much I can add to Odille's summary before we parted late Saturday morning. We ended up doing the loop again and stopped at Brindle creek for some long exposure creek shots and also located the path into the Antarctic Beech forest. We didn't go in too far, but far enough to get attacked by leeches (both of us wearing sandals :( ). We also made it to the Pinnacle Lookout. I also got a bunch of shots of a king parrot at the Antarctic Beech parking area in the rain.

I started processing some photos last night, and will hopefully get some up to view tonight.

here is one from the Antarctic Beech ... bit of a tree root waterfall

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8360/8399946683_4e7a3a135c_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew-durick/8399946683/)
Antarctic Beech Forest (http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew-durick/8399946683/) by Andrew Durick (http://www.flickr.com/people/andrew-durick/), on Flickr

Analog6
21-01-2013, 3:35pm
Nice work Andrew. I have made a thread here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?115942-Border-Ranges-NP-trip-19-20-January-2013), feel free to add your to it.

And by the way, did either of you take a photo of the camps setup? Warwick said did I take one of the car all setup and no, I meant to but forgot.

I actually took long pants and socks etc in case there were leeches and never saw one (thank heavens!).

Lesley, a return trip is definitely on the agenda, hopefully in a month or two.

AMD72
21-01-2013, 11:56pm
Here are some camp ground shots ... not detailed of your setup, but shows the environs.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8377/8402096778_ddc84cae04_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew-durick/8402096778/)
Border Ranges NP (http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew-durick/8402096778/) by Andrew Durick (http://www.flickr.com/people/andrew-durick/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8375/8402097006_8e329fe1bb_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew-durick/8402097006/)
Border Ranges NP (http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrew-durick/8402097006/) by Andrew Durick (http://www.flickr.com/people/andrew-durick/), on Flickr

I will check with Pavel to see if he has anything as well.

Analog6
22-01-2013, 5:26am
Ah, those are great. Now I can show Warwick how we were set up. That was a good set of 3 spots we had, I'll go for those again next time. The gazebo roof is still draped pver the top of the rotary clothes line, every tme it is nearly dry it gets wet again! Ah well, we need the rain.