PDA

View Full Version : HEELLPPP!!!

andrewvid
15-12-2012, 11:53pm
ok let me first of all tell you that this may seem a very appropriate place for the 'out of focus' topic. or not..

i have a complicated situation to deal with and only have until monday afternoon to solve.

monday will be the last school day that me and some others who are close will see our favourite teacher again.
she is moving to new york in a few days we are guessing but for a fact we know it won't be long before she is out of here.
She means a lot to some of us and was the one that ever got me into photography and is just a great person.. not that words can do any justice.

We (the 8 of us) have planned to pitch in money to get her a nice gift. This is a Yamaha APX500ii Acoustic/electric guitar as she is a guitar enthusiast.

As i was talking to others who knew her well, i came across someone who also plays guitar and told me perhaps what i wished to never hear.. that she recently bought a Maton Mini (i don't knwo much about guitars) and it's worth around about $1000 and is pretty much the same. although the yamaha does have an inbuilt tuner other than the pickup sensors alone.

So.. the question is, what alternatives are there? now of course this would widely vary since i'm sure most of you don't know her personality as such. she is into film/music/theatre/guitars.. kinda a tomboy! and that's what makes her unique.

i have come up with ideas to go ahead and still give the guitar which is that it would have a lot of personal value over the other one. but as a friend put it this way: say you buy a D800 and someone who means a lot to you gives you a D3200.. how would you feel?

So i'm lost in alternatives and that's the reason why i'm posting here. if any one could suggest something that would last other than the usual giftcards/adventures etc.. what other things could we get? (budget would be $400)

Much appreciated if you could help.

Thanks

Andrew

MarkChap
16-12-2012, 12:18am
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said

now of course this would widely vary since i'm sure most of you don't know her personality as such.

andrewvid
16-12-2012, 12:20am
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said

i knew this would be the problem of posting this lol

Glenda
16-12-2012, 8:45am
Does she have a partner, family member you could approach for suggestions. The guitar is a lovely idea but I do agree with your friends analogy with the D800/D3200 and moving to NYC she'd probably only take 1 guitar.

andrewvid
16-12-2012, 10:48am
Does she have a partner, family member you could approach for suggestions. The guitar is a lovely idea but I do agree with your friends analogy with the D800/D3200 and moving to NYC she'd probably only take 1 guitar.

i'm sure she would have family members around though i wouldn't have a clue on how to contact them.. and i guess that is the main problem. luggage would be restricted.

old dog
16-12-2012, 11:57am
why don`t all of you select the most loved pic from your collections that came from being with her......print it, frame it and give her that.

mongo
16-12-2012, 12:44pm
what Old Dog said and spend the rest of the money on all of you taking her out for a memorable farewell dinner. Take some pics at the dinner and give or send her a collage of a great time with her grateful students.

OR a modest piece of jewellery with your names or class inscribed will be something close and personal and something that she will wear happily and remind her a very grateful bunch of students who will similarly not forget her either.

Mongo knows as a guitar player that transporting 2 guitar cases over seas is not a desirable thing. Also, with more than one guitar to play, you soon pick a favourite and tend to totally forget/ignore the other. The guitar idea was a good one but it seems like the peak time for that may have passed.

shelly1170
16-12-2012, 1:09pm
What about something like this:

http://www.harrisonmusic.com.au/shop/parts-accessories/farley-guitar-tool.html

or if you go to Amazon.com you can e-gift this. Means that she can choose her own delivery address for when she is back in the USA

http://www.amazon.com/Pickbay-Sterling-Pendant-Adjustable-Necklace/dp/B004BRQH82

andrewvid
16-12-2012, 5:24pm
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. really appreciate it.

Old dog, i have printed one of my photos that i know she really likes so that is done. problem with framing is room.. its a 70cm wide print and afraid to frame it cause she would then have to un frame it and keep the photo..

Thanks Mongo, we are planning to do a dinner/event to surprise her..

The question in this is not necessary anymore as i have called up the shop and they say they will only give store credit. So i guess i will have to stick with the guitar unfortunately.. but we will also offer that if she wants anything else besides the Guitar then she can go and get an exchange for hopefully something more useful.

Again thanks for all the help.. shouldn't have posted if i knew earlier that there would be little chance to give it back!

Analog6
16-12-2012, 5:50pm
Perhpas change it to a Gift Certificate from the store, and then she can select some accessories for her current instruments. And it is a lovely & thoughtful idea for you all to come up with. Nice to see young people with such nice values.

andrewvid
16-12-2012, 6:46pm
Perhpas change it to a Gift Certificate from the store, and then she can select some accessories for her current instruments. And it is a lovely & thoughtful idea for you all to come up with. Nice to see young people with such nice values.

That's actually a good idea! Though i feel that it would seem like a stereotypical gift as a sort of gift card...
Think i'll just stick to giving the guitar with a choice..

Mark L
16-12-2012, 8:52pm
The question in this is not necessary anymore as i have called up the shop and they say they will only give store credit.

Does this store sell ukuleles?
I'm actually serious about that suggestion!

andrewvid
16-12-2012, 9:39pm
Does this store sell ukuleles?
I'm actually serious about that suggestion!

they sure do! and if that was a suggestion to get an exchange for one... turns out she has some already :D

Bennymiata
17-12-2012, 6:04pm
If she like electric guitars, then she might like to have good pedal box (for fuzz, wah-wah etc), or a few sets of strings, or a combination of various accessories, so a gift certificate should be quite workable for her.

andrewvid
17-12-2012, 11:39pm
If she like electric guitars, then she might like to have good pedal box (for fuzz, wah-wah etc), or a few sets of strings, or a combination of various accessories, so a gift certificate should be quite workable for her.

She doesn't exactly like electric guitars as such but that is a good point you have made. Thanks for that, i shall investigate further..
It will be held tomorrow so i'll see how it goes.

Again thanks all for helping out. Really appreciate it.

andrewvid
18-12-2012, 10:39pm
So... today was the day. what a day it was. tears everywhere.. especially from me lol but we had to go ahead with the guitar.. gave her a choice of getting it returned and choosing something else. but didn't go for it. Turns out, she'd rather have that then the Mini maton.
well.. looks like its the end of a chapter and time to start a new one. a harder one.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, it meant a lot.

Andrew

shelly1170
19-12-2012, 12:17am
What a great outcome. And what a thoughtful group of guys you are. This will possibly the highlight of your teachers career and something she will remember every time she picks up her guitar.

andrewvid
19-12-2012, 12:59am
What a great outcome. And what a thoughtful group of guys you are. This will possibly the highlight of your teachers career and something she will remember every time she picks up her guitar.

Thank you, she loved the guitar especially with the engraved plaque at the bottom. all of us was hiding in the room ready to surprise, then she came in to a usual surprise and all.. one of our friend then played the guitar walking in. paused in front of her then gave it. Burst into tears. It was a very emotional time.