PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo's for or against

pjs2
08-12-2012, 8:05pm
Has the novelty of getting a tattoo now become the norm? Are you now considered to be an individual if you don’t have one? Am I the only one who thinks that young people should think a bit longer about getting one? Should you only be able to get a good one? Should a ten dollar tattoo only be done in Nikko pen? Should they be left for sailors and wharfies? Is it considered inappropriate for people to get cultural tattoos if they aren’t of that culture?

Ms Monny
08-12-2012, 10:15pm
I have two. I got my first one 24 years ago when tattoo's were not the norm. I still love it ... but so many people are getting tattoos now, it is more unusual NOT to see someone with them...like my husband, who ironically doesn't like them! I met him with one and got my second one last year. I have friends who are covered in tattoos and friends who wouldn't be seen dead with one.

I think young people need to think twice about WHERE THEY PUT the tattoos and WHAT THE TATTOOS ARE OF, not about getting one. I saw one on a young lady's calf that basically told the world where to go! I wondered, after seeing that, what she would think about it in 20 or 30 years time.

Each tattoo, to many people, has a story. Something about them that they wish to express in ink. My two are of butterflies. It has a personal meaning. I am hopefully soon to have more, and yes, they too will have meaning to me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen some amazing, beautiful work .... that cost a lot of money!! You pay for what you get, that's for sure! I have seen some ugly, ugly work. I can't stand tattoos that don't go with the bodies form. It needs to be artistic as well as appropriate.

Mary Anne
09-12-2012, 1:34am
I don't think anything or anybody can make young people think longer about getting a tattoo, weren't you young once.. :2smile:
Its human nature to go against the grain and if everyone is getting tattoos now it wont be long and they wont bother as they will want to be different.

I also think its more about where they are placed on the body and their meaning..

I have nothing against tattoos though have never wanted one, my hubby has three, and the three of my Daughters have five between them my Son does not like them. One of my Daughters wanted a special one for her 40th Birthday she said it was a milestone in her life, I don't think it made her feel any younger and she got a beautiful Butterfly near her right shoulder she is happy and isn't that what its all about.

rookie
09-12-2012, 6:03am
I know this is a sexist remark but on the blokes its ok but not real sure on my thoughts about the girls having them.I think they will regret them in time more then the blokes would.i have a couple myself done years ago before it was the trend and the only regret is i didnt get more.

ricktas
09-12-2012, 10:24am
I chose, don't care, but what I do find amusing is this idea that by getting tattoos, body piercings etc that the person is expressing their individuality. How can thousands of people with celtic arm band or 'such is life' type tattoos be seen as being 'individual'? Individuality is created by your personality, not how you look, especially when everyone is copying everyone else.

A truly unique and well done tattoo is a work of art, but so many are just following along like sheep in the hope that somehow they will magically be seen as an individual for how they look. Who you are is what makes you unique.

old dog
09-12-2012, 10:25am
I wonder why the tattoo removal people are very busy these days.......hmmm.

Tommo1965
09-12-2012, 10:52am
i've tats...had them done when I was sixteen...im now 47...all the young blokes that had them were considered rebels and looking for trouble...girls never had them unless they were punk rockers.....I hate tats on women..and young girls that get them and think it looks cute don't realise how rough they look on middle age women.

I think today's youth that get them are sheep..as we were...but there's more sheep now.....and tribal tats on white kids make me laugh.

yes kids that don't get one are bucking the trend

norwest
09-12-2012, 11:27am
i've tats...had them done when I was sixteen...im now 47...all the young blokes that had them were considered rebels and looking for trouble...girls never had them unless they were punk rockers.....I hate tats on women..and young girls that get them and think it looks cute don't realise how rough they look on middle age women.

I think today's youth that get them are sheep..as we were...but there's more sheep now.....and tribal tats on white kids make me laugh.

yes kids that don't get one are bucking the trend

I'm older than you, Steve and when in my late teens two of my close mates went to get tats on their upper arms and come back with Tweety Bird and Hot Stuff the devil which looks rather silly now at their age :2witle: but seemed like a good idea at the time.

Agree re anglo Europeans with traditional Moari/Pacific Islander tats which is so common in many sports today.

Tommo1965
09-12-2012, 11:30am
I'm older than you, Steve and when in my late teens two of my close mates went to get tats on their upper arms and come back with Tweety Bird and Hot Stuff the devil which looks rather silly now at their age :2witle: but seemed like a good idea at the time.

PMSL

Wayne
09-12-2012, 11:42am
I have none, and will never even dream of getting one.
So many people get them when young, silly and carefree, I think often without consideration for what it will look like or say about them in 20-30 years.

SirLozalot
09-12-2012, 11:58am
I don't have any. Never felt the need but not against them on principle. I just don't see the attraction.

What gets me is that the tats are permanent and I think people getting tats during a trendy period like now-a-days dont consider this properly. I think a minority of the current crop of youngsters getting tats would still be happy with tat design choice 20+ years later. Colours fade. Body shape changes. Skin stretches. Tastes change.

I guess everyone has to deal with consequences of their decisions. Happy or not later in life is their problem. Its part of life. If willing to pay $$$ and put up with pain they can be removed.

triptych
09-12-2012, 3:02pm
I replied on the other thread, but I will do so again here.

I am a young woman who has 15+ tattoos and counting *gasp*.

I love GOOD tattoos, and I HATE bad tattoos. I think there is a big difference between the tattoos that sailors got 60 years ago to the ones that are done well today. The technique is different, as well as the ink. Today's tattoo's will last alot longer than those, because of that and because we know that sun can damage them, so I personally look after mine, I wear sunscreen everyday and cover them up when I can in summer.

All my tattoos have meaning to me, they have been specifically designed for me, they aren't generic, they are well done and I have had nothing but positive feedback from them. I also have piercings and have shaved half my hair off! I haven't really thought about whether im a sheep or not, because whether I have tattoos or not, has no bearing on anyone else other than myself.

I often laugh when people ask me if I'll regret my tattoo's, because when Im old and my health is failing, I'm sure my first thought will be "damn I regret these tattoos that remind me of the good days". I dont care that you aren't tattooed, so why do you care so much that I am?

Roosta
09-12-2012, 3:14pm
I chose, don't care, but what I do find amusing is this idea that by getting tattoos, body piercings etc that the person is expressing their individuality. How can thousands of people with celtic arm band or 'such is life' type tattoos be seen as being 'individual'? Individuality is created by your personality, not how you look, especially when everyone is copying everyone else.

A truly unique and well done tattoo is a work of art, but so many are just following along like sheep in the hope that somehow they will magically be seen as an individual for how they look. Who you are is what makes you unique.

I'm with Rick on this.

But,

I do like the look of the 20/30 something women that have the Rocker styled Tattoos, but I always wonder what they'll look like at 60+, with Swallows and a broken hearts tattooed across there chest, or the tattooed lace to the hamstring areas.

So it's horses for courses.

Personally I have both arms tattooed, my right is above the elbow and has a Polynesian style (I'm a Anglo Saxon Local born product to OZ) but it will be finished with the Southern Cross below my elbow, my Regimental Army number tattooed in the elbow area and the Rising Sun and the lettering 'ANZAC' tattooed above and below, so it stands for the armed forces I served in for 14 years. Respect for service and people.

My Left arm is from Shoulder to wrist, It has a very large Celtic cross (I personally designed, not straight from a book), and below a never ending Triscol/Knott with the dragons chasing themselves. Then there is the family crest (O'Neill) and is surrounded by traditional Gaelic (tóg neart ó do mhuintir) It is all aimed to represent my family roots, and is very personal to me.

So I guess, yes I'm for them, but not for fashions sake, which seems to be the go at the moment. (What ever happened to yo-yo's and skate boards?)

ApolloLXII
09-12-2012, 3:21pm
I replied on the other thread, but I will do so again here.

I am a young woman who has 15+ tattoos and counting *gasp*.

I love GOOD tattoos, and I HATE bad tattoos. I think there is a big difference between the tattoos that sailors got 60 years ago to the ones that are done well today. The technique is different, as well as the ink. Today's tattoo's will last a lot longer than those, because of that and because we know that sun can damage them, so I personally look after mine, I wear sunscreen everyday and cover them up when I can in summer.

All my tattoos have meaning to me, they have been specifically designed for me, they aren't generic, they are well done and I have had nothing but positive feedback from them. I also have piercings and have shaved half my hair off! I haven't really thought about whether I'm a sheep or not, because whether I have tattoos or not, has no bearing on anyone else other than myself.

I often laugh when people ask me if I'll regret my tattoo's, because when I'm old and my health is failing, I'm sure my first thought will be "damn I regret these tattoos that remind me of the good days". I don't care that you aren't tattooed, so why do you care so much that I am?

I agree whole heartedly with everything you have said. Tattoos are a personal choice and I have 3 myself, all of which I got when I was younger. I used to be right into Punk during the 1980's and had my ears pierced which I did myself using a safety pin and a frozen fish (to numb the pain). Do I regret any of it? No because, at the time, it was part of who I am and will remain a part of me until the day I die.

Tattoos, like a lot of other things in life, are a matter of choice. Some choose wisely and have no regrets while others rush in without much thought and live to regret it later. To echo what triptych said, I don't mind that you don't have any tattoos as long as you don't mind that I do.

Speedway
09-12-2012, 4:26pm
I never liked them as there never seemed any reason for most other than commemorative reasons (military service, loved ones etc.) My son has a few which I never really liked. Then after we both retired from motor-sport he asked me to print out a few different sized images of our racing logo as he wanted to get one tattooed on his arm in recognition of our years together racing. He had it done and I mentioned to him that if I was ever to get a tattoo done that would be it. He gave it to me for a Christmas present.
Cheers
Keith.

This means a lot to both of us.

Karl
09-12-2012, 11:59pm
I have four - they came with my job (Army or now ex Army :2smile:) Each to their own I guess but some who get them will regret them one day and it isn't something that will be easily removed.

Have been considring getting mine re-coloured as they have faded after 20 odd years but I don't think I could sit through the pain again :2frog:

Karl

Lance B
10-12-2012, 12:25pm

As I keep saying, the more people try to be different, the more they end up being the same.

Tattoos are really for life, so choose wisely. Personally, I don't want to be branded like cattle, but if others choose to have them, that is up to them.

Khia
10-12-2012, 12:32pm
I was 20 when I got my tattoo, I don't regret it at all. But I think I was lucky in what I chose to have. Its not a "tacky" tattoo. But I think young people should definitely think long and hard before getting a tattoo. Its with you for life and if you decide later you don't like the pain and expense of removing it, is just not worth it :)

triptych
10-12-2012, 1:37pm
I think people who call tattooing "branding" really have no idea about them.

Here is one of my tattoo's, its a portrait of my grandpa. I love it and it means alot to me, this photo was taken just after it was done.

Mary Anne
10-12-2012, 1:49pm
We all have different tastes though I would rather look at my Grandfather in an Album or in a Frame

What about when you get too old to bend down there too look.. :D

triptych
10-12-2012, 1:52pm
We all have different tastes though I would rather look at my Grandfather in an Album or in a Frame

What about when you get too old to bend down there too look.. :D

Its on my forearm, no bending required lol! And when im old, and cant bend over, my first thoughts will definitely be how much I regret my tattoos LMAO

I @ M
10-12-2012, 2:16pm

Is that a walking frame that you mean Mary Anne? :D

I know I would rather see images of departed loved ones as they were when I remembered them at their best.
Sort of like the well done image Emma has there ------- :th3:

Mary Anne
10-12-2012, 4:57pm
Its on my forearm, no bending required lol! And when im old, and cant bend over, my first thoughts will definitely be how much I regret my tattoos LMAO

Sorry Emma I thought it was your leg, Guess I was having a grey moment :2biggn::2biggn:

Is that a walking frame that you mean Mary Anne? :D

I know I would rather see images of departed loved ones as they were when I remembered them at their best.
Sort of like the well done image Emma has there ------- :th3:

That would be a photo frame Andrew but you knew that didn't you :D

Steve Axford
10-12-2012, 6:05pm
I once had my ear pierced and an earring put in. Almost no men at that time had it done (this was 1974), but soon it was all the rage. I then took my earring out. I've never been into tattoos, but each to their own. The current popularity would irritate me if I had had it done as I know that "flavour of the month" soon becomes "how yesterday is that". It does mark you for something, but that very much depends on what you are tattooed with and where. A swastika in the middle of your forehead is different from granddad on your arm.

mongo
10-12-2012, 10:08pm
Mongo is generally not in favour of Tattoos - but they don't annoy him either when he sees them. It just puzzles him.

Have to agree with what LanceB said....the more people try to be different/individuals, the more they end up the same.

Would never think to have one of course - too much fur doesn't help. If for any strange and unlikely reason Mongo were to have one, it could only state and confirm the obvious..."Mongo is a real animal".

pjs2
11-12-2012, 8:28pm
I once had my ear pierced and an earring put in. Almost no men at that time had it done (this was 1974).

I had my left ear pierced twice in 1972.Still got the originals in today. I used to knock around with a hippie dude back when there used to be hippie dudes he had both ears done. All my footy mates all bagged me and called me all sorts of bad bad names. We went out to our favourite coffee shop after a game one weekend and the cute waitress that worked there( we were all keen on her Hi Peta Jane if you are still out there) said that she really liked my pierced ear. How many guys went back the week after with a ring in thier ear. I dont hate tatts I am not a fan of most facial piercings (nose , eyelids, the bit between your lip and nose) I just think that tatts are way to common now. I just wish (dont hate me for saying this) that young girls would really think about it first.

Peter

PS

I should have asked if you Liked or disliked tattoos. I think FOR or AGAINST is a bit to protagonistic sorry

aussieray
11-12-2012, 9:56pm
I don't have any, probably because I haven't found anything I wanted on me for life.........yet. 44 years.

I like some tats on some people, male and female. some are over the top, and some could get a better job at a pre school finger painting session. It all depends on who, where, what, and probably when, because what looks good when you are 18 may not look good when you are 60.

yummymummy
11-12-2012, 10:33pm
I have tattoos.... I actually have a lot of tattoos.... 6 of them, I did myself. Before you say it, no, they're not the typical back yard job. They're mine, and I love them. ( Rick has seen them, actually if you're my friend on facebook, you've probably seen them too lol.. ) My tattoos have meaning to me, at a particular time in my life. And I can almost guarantee that no one else in the world has them...... because I designed them all myself. I'm about to get a new one, a half sleeve ( If I can find someone good enough to do it for me) and will post a photo up then.

ricktas
12-12-2012, 7:13am
I had my left ear pierced twice in 1972.Still got the originals in today.

I got my ear pierced in the late 1970's as well, under interesting circumstances. My mum and dad's elderly neighbour was one of those ladies who would just not accept old age, in her mid 80's she was the life of the party. Think I heard the best ever dirty jokes come from her over the years. Well one day we were chatting over a cuppa, a group of us, and she made some remark about getting my ear pierced, so I dared her " I will if you will". So we got in the car, drove into town to the local pharmacy, and I am sure the pharmacist had not seen anything like it. Me at around 18 years old and a 'granny' in her 80's asking to get our ears pierced. He was probably wondering what mushrooms we had found in the bottom paddock.

I still have mine ear pierced and it now has a 1/2 carat diamond stud in it, thanks to mum and dad (present). So my ear stud has personal significance for me, as it reminds me of the greatest 'old lady' who I knew growing up (may she rest in peace), who was simply the best Dame. Then having my mum and dad give me the diamond stud, gives it even more meaning.

As an aside, one day several years later, I was visiting my mum and dad and I am an early riser, so I was up about 5.30am and happened to look out the kitchen window to see said 'old lady' out the front of her house, in her dressing gown. No idea what she was doing, but as a car drove up the street, I gave her the biggest wolf whistle out the window. Well she hid behind a tree and when she thought the car had gone, dashed back inside. Later that day she popped over for a cuppa and made mention of said whistle, to which I told her "oh that was not the people in the car, that was my Dad out the kitchen window". When dad turned up from wherever he had been, he got the biggest ear bashing from her. We still giggle about this story to today.

She had three husbands throughout her life and when she told people and they asked what happened, did she divorce or did they pass-away, her answer was usually 'oh honey, they passed away, god love em', which usually meant people would inevitably ask how they died etc with the usual 'cancer, heart problems', she would reply 'oh sweety no! Have you not seen the size of my boobs, they could not keep up with me and I just wore em out'. Her outlook on life was refreshing.

So, whilst I chose 'don't care' as my poll choice, I truly understand the personal nature of tattoos, as Kirsty has stated, and think they can be wonderful when they have meaning and a story. Though the drunken night out ones (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2128662/56-stars-tattooed-Belgian-womans-face-visible-year-planned-laser-surgery.html), not so much.

I @ M
12-12-2012, 7:17am
I don't have any, probably because I haven't found anything I wanted on me for life.........yet. 44 years.

I like some tats on some people, male and female. some are over the top, and some could get a better job at a pre school finger painting session. It all depends on who, where, what, and probably when, because what looks good when you are 18 may not look good when you are 60.

Ray has summed up my feelings to the letter apart from to substitute 44 with 55. :th3:

coolie21
12-12-2012, 9:04pm
I don't have a problem with a good well executed tattoo. I do feel sorry however for many of the 17 and 18 year old girls I see with ugly tatts that will place them as of a certain age in the future. Unfortunately tatts do not age well, they spread and lose their sharpness and colour - this can be appropriate, however with the right subject. I recall seeing old chaps in their 70s and 80s with tattoos of busty topless girls on their arms. The tattoos had aged with them and were wrinkly and droopy :)