PDA

View Full Version : Rail safety message... dumb ways to die... gone Viral

Kym
24-11-2012, 10:40am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

This has been very effective and funny.

20+ million hits in a week, produced by the Government!

xxdrakexx
24-11-2012, 11:01am
effective and funny but the rail part didn't come till the end :confused013

wanderer51
24-11-2012, 5:01pm
Working for Metro Trains Melb and their predecessor Connex, I see actions by idiots like this literally every week.
Idiots bouncing soccer balls on the platform until it falls on tracks...then jumping in the pit after it.
Idiots running across the track when the gates are closed....because they might miss their train (only 4 minutes to the next one in the morning peak on the line that I work on).
Idiots trying to open the door of a train that is leaving because:

A) They can't organise their time a bit better to get to the station a minute or so earlier.
B) Their job is more important than their life....or so they think.

Idiots wearing headphones with the music so loud they are oblivious to what is happening around them.
At one station I have seen a person run across the track to get the train to Melb and not looking to see what is coming down the other track...like a 300 tonne V/Line express traveling in excess of 90km/h....missed him by a cat's whisker...but the force of it's passing knocked him off his feet.
...and the list of idiocy and stupidity around trains goes on....and on...and on.
Maybe this ad will save a life or two....but sadly....I doubt it! :confused013

Sifor
24-11-2012, 7:12pm
I wish safety screens (like those used in Hong Kong) could be installed.. would save a lot of lives..

Kym
25-11-2012, 8:58am
I wish safety screens (like those used in Hong Kong) could be installed.. would save a lot of lives..

Cotton wool society? Do we really want that? How about personal responsibility, maybe we make people responsible for their own actions!

Cocoajam
25-11-2012, 9:29am
Loved the ad! I still have the song going around and around in my head.....

PhotoPaul
25-11-2012, 9:52am
Take the warning labels off everything and let the problem sort itself out ;)

Good ad, I'm assuming the TV version is a lot shorter. It's good to see a good message going viral for once.

Sifor
25-11-2012, 2:16pm
Cotton wool society? Do we really want that? How about personal responsibility, maybe we make people responsible for their own actions!

But people aren't taking responsibility for their own actions which is to the detriment of society, in which case the State needs to take steps to protect them.

Kym
25-11-2012, 8:18pm
But people aren't taking responsibility for their own actions which is to the detriment of society, in which case the State needs to take steps to protect them.

When I was in primary school the monkey bars were over asphalt, we learned not to fall!

We are making a weak society.

fess67
25-11-2012, 8:42pm
effective and funny but the rail part didn't come till the end :confused013

It's a train m8, lucky it arrived at all!!! :D

fishographer
25-11-2012, 9:32pm

When I was in primary school the monkey bars were over asphalt, we learned not to fall!

We are making a weak society.

Amen to that Kym, and even when we did fall we learned how to take evasive action to lessen any damage :D
Regardless of the signs, warnings, barriers, rules, laws and safety measures we put in place we will still never prevent stupidity.....and society seems to be becoming more and more stupid every day

fess67
25-11-2012, 9:56pm
Amen to that Kym, and even when we did fall we learned how to take evasive action to lessen any damage :D
Regardless of the signs, warnings, barriers, rules, laws and safety measures we put in place we will still never prevent stupidity.....and society seems to be becoming more and more stupid every day

Society becoming more stupid is not the real problem. Society rewarding people for their stupidity is. It seems that if people trip they have to have to have someone to blame for them not being able to lift their own feet. Let me give you an example. We have a train crossing that we have to go over every day to get to work. It is guarded by a STOP sign. No barriers, lights. It is not a busy train line. However, there are numerous (filmed) examples of near misses due to people not stopping to let the train through. We brought it up in meetings with the guys. Feedback was that we should put up lights and barriers because you cannot expect people to stop at a STOP sign. REALLY??? They hold us responsible for their inability (unwillingness) to obey instructions.

Sadly, if anyone was to get hurt on this crossing I dare say the outcome would be that we somehow owed them because they could not obey instructions. My opinion is anyone not stopping should be sacked on the spot. But then we wold probably be wrong in that because it would be unfair to the idiot that cannot follow instructions - sigh

MI5
25-11-2012, 10:14pm
Thanks for sharing this. My family really enjoyed watching this video.

Ms Monny
25-11-2012, 10:19pm
That is so darn cute!!! I could watch it over and over! :D

Will it stop idiots??? Nope. :(

ricktas
26-11-2012, 6:57am
What is sad, is the railway workers and emergency services having to clean up the mess and deal with the after effects. I have zero care factor for the dumb-arses that actually do this. The sooner Darwin rids the world of them, the better, in my opinion.

Great video and catchy tune, I kept singing it all day yesterday..damn you Kym :lol:

Kym
26-11-2012, 3:41pm
Will it stop idiots??? Nope. :(

At least the message is being heard by people (esp. young uns) who had not taken any notice in the past.
Effective communication to your target audience was the goal, and well done in this case.

I work in the Rail industry and see a lot more than I want to of death and injury. 99.9999% preventable by following the rules. :Doh:

PhotoPaul
26-11-2012, 8:39pm
Make something idiot proof and they'll make a better idiot...

Kym
30-11-2012, 3:01pm
There are some parody clips on youtube now. I guess that means the think is a real hit :D