PDA

View Full Version : Illawarra Based Members - looking for more experience

znelbok
12-11-2012, 1:47pm
:gday:How many of us here are from the Illawarra?

I am looking to find some places to go to get some practise in with the new camera. Unfortunately, none of my family or friends are keen on photography so that leaves me on my own.

If anyone is ever looking for someone to head out on a shoot with, please let me know. I would love to get some more expereicnce and see more of the area. It is also a good opportunity to meet some like minded people.

Mick

cupic
12-11-2012, 10:19pm
Gday Mick
Im from Flinders (time depends on early morning shoots/sunsets as well) plus I have weekends commitments with my boys sports but Im available
Plus it give me a chance to scope your D600 even more closely :)

cheers

bitrusty
13-11-2012, 10:27pm
Hi Mick im always up for someone to shoot with and explore the local area im in Dapto

znelbok
13-11-2012, 10:52pm
We will have to put our heads together and find somewhere to go. I am generally free weekend as winter sports are now over.

Apart from a couple of waterfalls I have no idea on where is good for a shoot.

Mick

peterb666
13-11-2012, 11:00pm
Hi Mick, I often shoot in the Illawarra region (from The Shire) and will probably be doing a pre-dawn coastal shot on Saturday morning subject to weather and tides etc.

znelbok
14-11-2012, 11:04am
Hi Peter, Send me a PM with details if you dont mind me tagging along.

Mick

peterb666
14-11-2012, 2:20pm
Will do

Warren Ackary
14-11-2012, 10:32pm
Hi Mick, I am from East Corrimal and are in a similar situation as yourself..
Gets abit too much visiting the Botanic Gardens & the beaches to shoot.

Need to organise something and go somewhere to shoot, perhaps a few of the above people can sort something out too as we could do a group thing? what do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mick im always up for someone to shoot with and explore the local area im in Dapto

My inlaws are in Horsley.. have you shot the skate park on Bong Bong road?

znelbok
15-11-2012, 10:54am
Hey Warren - I have not been there before. I do know of it but have not recognised anything there worth taking a photo of (not that I was looking at it that way either - it was a few years ago now).

A local meet-up would be a great idea, but I do not know of anything worth meeting up for - is the Nan Tein Temple in Unanderra any good? Can access be gained at a suitable time of day for photography and do they allow it?

Mick

muggins
15-11-2012, 2:47pm
Count me in for anything I usually shoot birds and I'm willing to try anything new. A group shoot sounds like a good idea if we can agree on a time and place and circumstances permit.
All the best,
Muggins,
aka Steve.

cupic
15-11-2012, 9:43pm
Im interested seascapes or any other consensus

cheers

znelbok
15-11-2012, 10:50pm
Can you guys list anywhere that you think may be suitable and we may be able to figure something else out.

Joadja is somewhere I would like to have a look at.

Mick

cupic
16-11-2012, 4:59pm
Can you guys list anywhere that you think may be suitable and we may be able to figure something else out.

Joadja is somewhere I would like to have a look at.

Mick

Great concept,the thrill of capturing ghosts is proving irresistible,pencil me in on that
Another site would be local waterfalls ,cant remember the name but its 30 mins south of Nowra

cheers

muggins
16-11-2012, 8:59pm
One spot has me intrigued the old quarry at Bombo i don't know about access now as their is a sewage farm on part of the site I do know some togs did go and and took some good shots in B&W with the sea in the background this is just a suggestion.
Another place could be Macquarie falls at the bottom of Macquarie Pass.
Muggins AKA Steve.
Had a look on Google earth access to Bombo headland looks OK looking at the photo's posted on it its a good looking location.

znelbok
16-11-2012, 9:15pm
I suspect the falls may be a bit dry at the moment due to the lack of rain (although its raining now). We have not seen [decent] rain for months.

The other waterfall is Minamurra falls near Jamberoo.

I am trying to find out if Joadja is located on private land or not. I have found tours of Joadja, but that would not suit us as we need to take it slow.

The Nan Tein Temple may be another architecture based option.

Some good Seascape or Landscape options are needed. There was one posted here recently from North Kiama. If anyone can suggest something please do.

peterb666
16-11-2012, 10:49pm
One spot has me intrigued the old quarry at Bombo i don't know about access now as their is a sewage farm on part of the site I do know some togs did go and and took some good shots in B&W with the sea in the background this is just a suggestion.
Another place could be Macquarie falls at the bottom of Macquarie Pass.
Muggins AKA Steve.
Had a look on Google earth access to Bombo headland looks OK looking at the photo's posted on it its a good looking location.

Bombo Quarry - foot access with a little bit of a walk from Sunset to Sunrise. Easy access during daylight.

I haven't been to Macquarie falls for a long, long time. Minimurra Falls is good but restricted photography and the walk is not for the unfit.

Joadja is on private property. Not sure what current access is like but has been quite restricted in the past, i.e. tours and special open days.

muggins
16-11-2012, 11:58pm
Thanks for the info Peter it's a long time since I was at Bombo headland way back when I was doing a lot of fishing off the rocks.
Thought I had finished scrambling over rocks but it looks like I may be doing it again. LOL,

znelbok
26-11-2012, 11:20am
Does someone who knows the Bombo Quarry want to organise something. I have never been there so I don't even know where to gain access to it. (-Steve?)

muggins
26-11-2012, 8:40pm
Hi znelbok, I will do a scouting expedition in the next few days and report back on access and how to get there it should be interesting.
All the best.
Steve AKA muggins.

muggins
02-12-2012, 11:33am
Hi all the scouting trip to Bombo headland went well, I did not get chance to fully explore as the area is too big, there are a couple of ways to get to in I went in via the surf beach, the gates open at 5.30 am and close at 5.30 pm it's quite a good walk up the hill into the old quarry, a lot of interesting rock formations and seascape opportunities and quite a lot of bird life about (note to self to take sigma 150 to 500 lens next time).
I would not recommend people going in the dark for the first trip.
If we can organise a date and time I would only be too willing to go back.
All the best,
Muggins

cupic
02-12-2012, 10:05pm
I have interest in Bombo seems a perfect spot for a Apocalyptic scene

cheers

znelbok
03-12-2012, 2:58pm
Thanks for that.

I am keen for any morning on a weekend. Since it mainly revolves around you leading the way is there a time that suits you?

Warren Ackary
03-12-2012, 9:57pm
Hi all the scouting trip to Bombo headland went well, I did not get chance to fully explore as the area is too big, there are a couple of ways to get to in I went in via the surf beach, the gates open at 5.30 am and close at 5.30 pm it's quite a good walk up the hill into the old quarry, a lot of interesting rock formations and seascape opportunities and quite a lot of bird life about (note to self to take sigma 150 to 500 lens next time).
I would not recommend people going in the dark for the first trip.
If we can organise a date and time I would only be too willing to go back.
All the best,
Muggins

Sounds like you had a good time Steve.. I live in Wollongong & am yet to find the waterfalls out further as I want to shoot around there

muggins
03-12-2012, 11:05pm
I am OK early Saturday or Sunday. We just need a time and a place to meet up.
all the best,
Steve.
By the way I live in Barrack Heights

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Warren the only waterfalls that I know are Minnamurra and Macquarie falls, there are a few that are on private property but I don't know where abouts they are.
All the best,
Steve.

znelbok
04-12-2012, 2:55pm
There are a number of falls in the vacinity

Try these two sites
http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/australia-new-south-wales.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_waterfalls_of_Australia

Scroll down on the first on to the Google map and zoom in on the area. It will give you a better idea of the ones nearby.
Minimurra Falls
Carrington Falls
Belmore Falls
Fitzroy Falls
Twin Falls
And there is also the falls in Macquarie Pass NP at the bottom of the Macquarie Pass.

muggins
05-12-2012, 1:23pm
AS of today Sunday is the only day I have free this year, if people are free on Sunday let me know and I will go back.
All the best,
muggins.

znelbok
05-12-2012, 2:20pm
I will be there, name the time and meeting place

Mick

cupic
05-12-2012, 8:58pm
Is this for Bombo?

znelbok
05-12-2012, 9:54pm
Yes, that is for Bombo

Have a look here for an EOI for Carrington Falls
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?113980-APIG-EOI-Carrington-Falls&p=1094827#post1094827

muggins
05-12-2012, 9:56pm
Hi all. Yes this is for Bombo headland, is everybody familiar the rest area on the Kiama bypass south, of the Riverside drive turn off? If that is ok with everyone we could meet there at whatever time is best for you.
all the best.
Steve.

znelbok
06-12-2012, 8:56am
Is thats the one just south of the turn off - before you climb up the hill?

Whats the best time for shooting there - early morning or late in the day?

I am happy with any time you make - Sunday is open for me for both morning and afternoon.

Mick

cupic
08-12-2012, 10:20pm
Work today so Im pulling the pin :( sorry need my zzzzzzzzzz

cheers

znelbok
09-12-2012, 8:52pm
No problems

Would still like to meet up when you have time

Mick

cupic
24-06-2013, 11:13pm
Resurrecting the expression to shot the Illawarra
Anyone up for it
With this deluge any waterfall would be over overflowing for weeks to come

Ivan

mechawombat
25-06-2013, 4:22pm
The whole southern highlands was underwater today.

peterb666
26-06-2013, 2:26pm
Wattamolla would be in fine form.